[net.followup] USA vs IRA?

oaf@mit-vax.UUCP (Oded Feingold) (05/17/86)

In article <1314@rlvd.UUCP> kgd@rlvd.UUCP (Keith Dancey) writes:
>  Your government legislates, and under its legislation it protects IRA
>  terrorists from extradition because it holds their acts of murder
>  as 'political'.
>
>  And you know damn well that it does so because of the Irish American
>  vote.
		    ------------------------------
    $50.00 to you or your favorite charity if you can name  or  number
ANY such law in the Federal Register, Mr. Dancey.

    Failing  that, I'll merely claim you're utterly wrong.  I'm trying
to be charitable.  Earn your reward, eh?

    Personal aside:  People who can't  find  enough  legitimate  beefs
against  the  US,  and  must  resort to wholesale fantasy, vitiate the
value of their postings.
--
Oded Feingold     MIT AI Lab.   545 Tech Square    Cambridge, Mass. 02139
OAF@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU {harvard!think,ihnp4}mit-eddie!mit-vax!oaf 617-253-8598

mnl@cernvax.UUCP (mnl) (05/22/86)

In article <40@mit-vax.UUCP> oaf@mit-vax.UUCP writes:
>In article <1314@rlvd.UUCP> kgd@rlvd.UUCP (Keith Dancey) writes:
>>  Your government legislates, and under its legislation it protects IRA
>>  terrorists from extradition because it holds their acts of murder
>>  as 'political'.
>>
>>  And you know damn well that it does so because of the Irish American
>>  vote.
>		    ------------------------------
>    $50.00 to you or your favorite charity if you can name  or  number
>ANY such law in the Federal Register, Mr. Dancey.
>
>    Failing  that, I'll merely claim you're utterly wrong.  I'm trying
>to be charitable.  Earn your reward, eh?

I believe that you will find American laws which prohibit extradition
for "political" crimes.  However, I don't think it was Northern Ireland
and the IRA which prompted these laws, but rather other countries having
broader defintions of "political" crimes, e.g. public gatherings of
greater than 10 people, operation of an illegal printing press, and
other various things which totalitarian governments tend to outlaw.

However, I kind of wonder about the judges who ruled that this law
applys to IRA terrorists.

I think I read something in the Internation Herald-Tribune within
the past month about Britain and the U.S. being in the process of
negotiating a new extradition treaty, specifically over this issue.

--
Mark Nelson

mnl@cernvax.bitnet or ...!seismo!mcvax!cernvax!mnl
If the ACM had a sub-group for naturalists, would it be ACM
SIGnature?

hijab@cad.UUCP (05/25/86)

> >>  Your government legislates, and under its legislation it protects IRA
> >>  terrorists from extradition because it holds their acts of murder
> >>  as 'political'.
> >>
> >>  And you know damn well that it does so because of the Irish American
> >>  vote.
> >
> I believe that you will find American laws which prohibit extradition
> for "political" crimes.
>
> However, I kind of wonder about the judges who ruled that this law
> applys to IRA terrorists.
> --
> Mark Nelson

Shortly after Reagan became president there were a couple of extradition
cases in the courts; one involved a prominent IRA man, while the other
involved a young Palestinian student at a Midwest school. The IRA man
(whose name escapes me) was demanded by Britain on charges of a bombing
in Ulster. The Palestinian, Ziad Abu Ain, was demanded by Israel on a
similar charge. However, whereas the Irishman was a well known IRA figure,
Abu Ain was implicated purely by a confession obtained under questionable
circumstances from another young Palestinian -who later denied the
confession. There was such a strong sense of Abu Ain's innocence, and
the slimness of his chances for a fair trial, that the Arab-American
community lobbied extensively to prevent his extradition. The State
Department was determined to release him to Israel, however, and interfered
repeatedly with the court proceedings. Abu Ain was eventually sent to Israel,
where he was imprisoned until his release in the well known PLO-Israel
prisoner exchange. The government did not interfere with the IRA man's
trial, and he was declared immune on the grounds that his was a political
case.

I personally consider both to have been political cases. Certainly in
the case of Abu Ain, who -if he were guilty- would be merely resisting
an acknowledged occupation. However, regardless of one's own philosophy
on the matter, there is a glaring difference in the attitude of the U.S.
government. The only logical explanation is that in both cases the
government was yielding to the pressure of powerful domestic constituencies.