[sci.logic] Quantum computers outperform Turing machines

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Mr Jack Campin) (04/22/88)

Expires:

In article <583@eos.UUCP> jaw@eos.UUCP (James A. Woods) writes:
 (apropos models of computation stronger than a simple Turing machine)

>Add to this the thought-provoking work by D. Deutsch (Proc. Royal Society,
>A400, 97; 1985) -- "Quantum theory, the Church-Turing principle and the
>universal quantum computer", in which he discusses abstract machines more
>powerful than classical Turing devices.

>James A. Woods (ames!jaw), NASA Ames Research Center

Has any more work been done on this? For example, does anyone but Deutsch
believe the claims he makes in that paper about the Everett interpretation?
(The Feyman path integral formalism seems to me as good an explanation as
the one he gives, but I'm not a timeserved quantum mechanic).

How likely is an implementation of Deutsch's machine?

--
ARPA: jack%cs.glasgow.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk       USENET: jack@cs.glasgow.uucp
JANET:jack@uk.ac.glasgow.cs      useBANGnet: ...mcvax!ukc!cs.glasgow.ac.uk!jack