[sci.logic] Re^2: Question About the Four Color Proof

steve@hubcap.clemson.edu ("Steve" Stevenson) (07/10/90)

blostein@qucis.queensu.ca (Dorothea Blostein) writes:

>Apparently there has been some discussion about the correctness of the
>programs used to prove the four color theorem.  As far as I know, there
>has not been "a long standing bug in the program which only recently had been
>discovered and corrected".

Thanks for the informed response.

Steve (really "D. E.") Stevenson           steve@hubcap.clemson.edu
Department of Computer Science,            (803)656-5880.mabell
Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-1906

amull@Morgan.COM (Andrew P. Mullhaupt) (07/10/90)

I believe the controversy about the proof of the four color theorem
includes comments by Graph Theory experts along the lines that they
suspect a hole in the arguments which reduce the problem. I would
expect that (knowing one of these experts) work is currently in
progress to verify the parts of the proof in question. This kind of
thing goes on all the time in math, and doesn't differentiate the
FCT from most other spectacular conjecture resolutions.

Later,
Andrew Mullhaupt