[sci.logic] Question About the Four Color Proof

steve@hubcap.clemson.edu ("Steve" Stevenson) (07/06/90)

Recently, I asked for some comments about proving programs correct. One of
the respondants claimed that there had been a long standing bug in the program
which only recently had been discovered and corrected. Does anyone have
a reference to this or can anyone refute the claim?

Thanks

Steve (really "D. E.") Stevenson           steve@hubcap.clemson.edu
Department of Computer Science,            (803)656-5880.mabell
Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-1906

blostein@qucis.queensu.ca (Dorothea Blostein) (07/07/90)

Apparently there has been some discussion about the correctness of the
programs used to prove the four color theorem.  As far as I know, there
has not been "a long standing bug in the program which only recently had been
discovered and corrected".  (As Wolfgang Haken's daughter I certainly
would have heard about this from my father.)  There have been long-standing
rumors of unknown origin about errors in the program.  Truly interested
parties can refer to Contemporary Mathematics Volume 98, American Mathematical
Society, 1989.  This 740 page volume is entitled "Every Planar Map is Four
Colorable", by Kenneth Appel and Wolfgang Haken.  This volume reviews the
proof and gives a detailed account of the nature of the errors that have
been found, when they were found, how long they took to repair etc.
Independent implementations of the necessary algorithms have been used
to verify the correctness of the program results.

I'll end with a  quote from page 22 of the above-mentioned volume:

"How does one go about checking a 400-page unavoidability proof for a set of
1476 configurations?  J. L. Doob, the most eminent probabilist we know, has
stated Doob's Rule: 'If you open a mathematical paper at random, on the
pair of pages before you, you will find a mistake.'  (A weaker version of
Doob's rule replaces the words 'you will find a mistake' by 'there is
a mistake'.)   ...
When the proof was announced in 1976,  Doob offered Haken a bet that within
five months an error would be found.  Haken offered an amended bet that
every error that came to his attention would be repaired within two weeks...
Haken won that bet, ..."

aaron@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Aaron Watters) (07/09/90)

Just a comment.

The four color proof is often mistakenly cited as a triumphant
example of the use of formal methods -- most egregiously in a
paper about program derivation by Scherlis and Scott.

Just thought I'd point out that the proof is in no sense any
more formal than most other proofs you'll find out there,
even though it includes an algorithm as part of the proof,
together with a claim that the algorithm terminated with
a given result.		-aaron

valdes+@cs.cmu.edu (Raul Valdes-Perez) (07/09/90)

In article <26843@netnews.upenn.edu> aaron@grad2.cis.upenn.edu.UUCP (Aaron Watters) writes:
>Just thought I'd point out that the proof is in no sense any
>more formal than most other proofs you'll find out there,

I always thought that computer programs were formal objects, and
that a computer was a formal system (`formal' doesn't entail
`correct').  Isn't that one sense?

--
Raul E. Valdes-Perez			valdes@cs.cmu.edu
School of Computer Science		(412) 268-7698

ian@oravax.UUCP (Ian Sutherland) (07/13/90)

In article <4997@milton.u.washington.edu> aesop@milton.u.washington.edu (Jeff Boscole) writes:
>Precisely -where- is
>the beef with a "proof by an (unverified.by.hand.calculation) computer
>program?"

I don't understand the meaning of "(unverified.by.hand.calculation)".
The beef with a proof by computer program is that computer programs
that have not been rigorously checked for correctness are more likely
to be in error than proofs written out by human beings (even as prone
as the latter are to errors ...).
--
Ian Sutherland		ian%oravax.uucp@cu-arpa.cs.cornell.edu

Sans Peur		If Janet Bell (formerly of Northwestern) reads
			this, please get in touch with me.