[sci.logic] Re^6: Question About the Four Color Proof

steve@hubcap.clemson.edu ("Steve" Stevenson) (07/13/90)

aesop@milton.u.washington.edu (Jeff Boscole) writes:

>In article <9649@hubcap.clemson.edu>
>    steve@hubcap.clemson.edu ("Steve" Stevenson) writes:

>>... however my interest is in the fact that a computer program is
>>involved. In the philosophical sense, has FCT been `proven' if it has an

>Forgive me for being dense....  I've attempted to understand these issues
>thru Philosophy of Science classes and so forth....  Precisely -where- is
>the beef with a "proof by an (unverified.by.hand.calculation) computer
>program?"

The beef is that no one can verify (by hand or otherwise) that the program
does precisely what it is supposed to do. How do you know that there isn't
a whole class of cases which were missed? By the time the compiler, op. sys.
and the machine get done with it, how do you know that the program
actually run is `the same' as the one originally intended?

See the long running battle in computer science over this issue.

Steve (really "D. E.") Stevenson           steve@hubcap.clemson.edu
Department of Computer Science,            (803)656-5880.mabell
Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-1906

aaron@grad2.cis.upenn.edu (Aaron Watters) writes:

>What makes you think that the program is any more or less proven
>than other parts of this or other proofs?

The non-computer piece seems to have been check for whatever. However, the
program has not been subjected to such scrutiny ( the deMillo argument
against proofs).

> The algorithm is certainly ... [possibility of an implementation mistake]
> I'd say this is much less likely than the possibility of an ordinary
>mathematical nonsequitur in the main part of the proof,
> especially since the algorithm has been reimplemented and rerun.

And rederived, also, or just recoded?

aesop@milton.u.washington.edu (Jeff Boscole) (07/14/90)

-----------------------
In article <9663@hubcap.clemson.edu>
    steve@hubcap.clemson.edu ("Steve" Stevenson) writes:

>The beef is that no one can verify (by hand or otherwise) that the program
>does precisely what it is supposed to do. How do you know that there isn't
>a whole class of cases which were missed? By the time the compiler, op. sys.
>and the machine get done with it, how do you know that the program
>actually run is `the same' as the one originally intended?
>
>See the long running battle in computer science over this issue.

In regards "whole class of cases" -- this appears to be a mathematical
   issue and not one for computer science per se...

In regards "compiler, op. sys. machine" etc. (and I think that you meant
   a "whole class of cases" might be missed for -these- reasons), suppose
   I wrote the operating system -and- the compiler -and- the program
   which did the checking of an enormous quantity of cases, then included
   detailed descriptions of the operation system, the compiler, the machine
   and the program -along- with the detailed mathematical description of
   the proof.  After satisfying these five criteria, are there any others
   that might be required to fulfill the notion of "knowledge" ??  :-)

:=: