[net.games.trivia] Dumb trivia because I am bored.

weiss@gondor.UUCP (Michael Weiss) (01/24/85)

*** REPLACE THIS node WITH a litter box! ***

Ok, let's just have some dumb trivia questions to get things
rolling around here:  (Mail me answers, and I will correlate and post.)

      1)  Where did the California gold rush start and in what year?

      2)  How many calanders do you need to have a 'perpetual' calander?
	  (Ie: For all eternity you would need no more than X calanders
	  to represent whatever year you may be in.)

      3)  What were the first words ever spoken on a telephone
	  (exactly) and who said them?

      4)  (For psychics only:)                         ?

C'mon gang, let's get trivially rowdy!!

--
-Michael  "on the the Twilight Node"  Weiss         UUCP...!gondor!weiss

     - The opinions expressed herein are those of my superiors,
       and are not neccesarily shared by myself.

latzko@topaz.ARPA (Alex Latzko) (01/30/85)

I hope these are the answers you wanted.

> Ok, let's just have some dumb trivia questions to get things
> rolling around here:  (Mail me answers, and I will correlate and post.)
>
>       1)  Where did the California gold rush start and in what year?

		Near Suters Mill which is near Sacramento(sp) CA in 1848

>       2)  How many calanders do you need to have a 'perpetual' calander?
> 	  (Ie: For all eternity you would need no more than X calanders
> 	  to represent whatever year you may be in.)

		Remembering my World Almanac it takes 17 calanders
		to make a perpetual listing.

>       3)  What were the first words ever spoken on a telephone
> 	  (exactly) and who said them?

		Mr Watson! Come here I need you.  Alexander Grahm Bell

>       4)  (For psychics only:)                         ?

		Unfair.  Its hard to read a computers mind.

> C'mon gang, let's get trivially rowdy!!
>
> --
> -Michael  "on the the Twilight Node"  Weiss         UUCP...!gondor!weiss
>
>      - The opinions expressed herein are those of my superiors,
>        and are not neccesarily shared by myself.

Cheers,
/S*

UUCP: !harvard!topaz!latzko
ARPA: latzko@Topaz

kfl@hoxna.UUCP (Kenton Lee) (01/31/85)

xxx
Isn't a perpetual calendar need only 14 different calendars?
The year can start on one of 7 days and can have one of 2
lengths.

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (02/01/85)

> >       2)  How many calanders do you need to have a 'perpetual' calander?
> > 	  (Ie: For all eternity you would need no more than X calanders
> > 	  to represent whatever year you may be in.)
> >
> 		Remembering my World Almanac it takes 17 calanders
> 		to make a perpetual listing.

Seventeen?  Fourteen.  One that begins the year on each day of the week,
for years with 365 days, and seven more for the leap years.

-Ron

preston@ut-sally.UUCP (Randal Preston) (02/06/85)

Nope!  It's got to be *at least* 28 years
	      (7 days/week * 4 years/leap-year cycle)

But I also think that century-marks throw a kink into things, so I'd say
an integral number of centuries.  (10 centuries?  Doesn't something special
happen on the years 1000, 2000, 3000, etc.?)

adm@cbneb.UUCP (02/07/85)

/* BLANK line  or  Blankity-blank line if you prefer */

>      2)  How many calanders do you need to have a 'perpetual' calander?
>	  (Ie: For all eternity you would need no more than X calanders
>	  to represent whatever year you may be in.)

The proposed answer of fourteen calanders[sic] works for recent centuries
and the foreseeable future; that is a 1/1/** for each day of the week plus
another seven for leap years.

However, others are needed for a perpetual calendar.  For example, a
special one is needed for 1752.  September of that year is missing
eleven days.  Try cal 9 1752 on your UNIX(c) system.  That should
add over a thousand contiguous years to the perpetual calendar.

If I remember my ancient history correctly, the caesars Augustus and
Julius both 'stole' a day from February to make their months longer.
I'm sure that would add several calendars for both the transition
years and however they looked before that. (Aren't leap years a
fairly new invention?)

Answer: 15 + whatever the romans needed.

gordon@cae780.UUCP (Brian Gordon) (02/08/85)

In article <868@ut-sally.UUCP> preston@ut-sally.UUCP (Randal Preston) writes:
>Nope!  It's got to be *at least* 28 years
>	      (7 days/week * 4 years/leap-year cycle)
>
>But I also think that century-marks throw a kink into things, so I'd say
>an integral number of centuries.  (10 centuries?  Doesn't something special
>happen on the years 1000, 2000, 3000, etc.?)

I presume this was about the number of different calendars.  If so, I
disagree.  The "year in the leap-year cycle" is not involved except for
the leap-year yes/no.  A year which is not a leap-year, and starts on, for
example, a Wednesday, will have the same calendar no matter whether the
next leap-year is 1, 2 or 3 years ahead.  It STILL looks like 7 leap-year
calendars, 7 non-leap-year calendars, 14 total calendars.

As for centuries (for which the definition of leap-century is simple enough),
it is still either leap or non-leap, and starts on one of the 7 days!

FROM:   Brian G. Gordon, CAE Systems
USENET: {ucbvax, ihnp4, decvax!decwrl}!amd!cae780!gordon
        {nsc, resonex, qubix, hplabs}!cae780!gordon
USNAIL: 1333 Bordeaux Drive, Sunnyvale, CA  94089
AT&T:   (408)745-1440