[alt.rock-n-roll] You people can start voting now...

TAR@MAINE.BITNET (Thom Rounds) (12/28/89)

    I already posted the call for votes for rec.music.pfloyd. Many people have
told me that they never saw it and subsequently sent me 'NO' votes because I
told them it was there and they didn't notice it. This is very immature, but I
am forced to accept these votes. For those of you who didn't see it, it WAS
posted, I don't know why you didn't see it, and I don't care. It's there. You
may vote. I am the vote taker. Any questions?

tale@cs.rpi.edu (David C Lawrence) (12/30/89)

[ A flame of Thom's diatribe appears in alt.flame for your viewing pleasure. ]

In <TAR.89361214219@MAINE.BITNET> TAR@MAINE.BITNET (Thom Rounds) writes:
> I already posted the call for votes for rec.music.pfloyd.

Where?  When?  Under what title?

Script started on Fri Dec 29 13:29:24 1989
$ foo () {
> echo Total articles in $1 -- `ls $1 | wc -l`
> echo
> echo From Thom Rounds:
> egrep "^Subject: " `egrep -l "From:.*TAR@MAINE\.BITNET" $1/*` /dev/null
> }
$ foo news/groups
Total articles in news/groups -- 323

From Thom Rounds:
news/groups/9544:Subject: Re: Suggestions for new Pink Floyd newsgroup
news/groups/9572:Subject: Re: You're Not A Kid!
news/groups/9634:Subject: My apologies
news/groups/9658:Subject: Re: new Pink Floyd newsgroup
news/groups/9763:Subject: Re: Pink Floyd Voting
news/groups/9820:Subject: Re: new Pink Floyd newsgroup
news/groups/9854:Subject: You people can start voting now...
news/groups/9855:Subject: For all of you concerned with rec.music.pfloyd
$ foo news/announce/newgroups
Total articles in news/announce/newgroups -- 90

From Thom Rounds:
$ foo rec/music/misc
Total articles in rec/music/misc -- 352

From Thom Rounds:
rec/music/misc/18781:Subject: You people can start voting now...
$ foo alt/rock-n-roll
Total articles in alt/rock-n-roll -- 91

From Thom Rounds:
alt/rock-n-roll/4583:Subject: Re: are YOU Steve?
alt/rock-n-roll/4637:Subject: You people can start voting now...
$ exit

script done on Fri Dec 29 13:36:12 1989

I keep two weeks of news at rpi.edu, except for news.announce.newgroups
which has a month and a half to hang around.  I also just double
checked all of the articles there with a case insensitive search for
"rounds" to make sure that Greg hadn't changed the From: line such that
it wouldn't match the pattern I used above.  It returned nothing.  The
"My apologies" article, where you bemoan that people are not voting,
appeared six days after the current cut-off mark of this morning's
expire run.  You never did say how long ago the call was posted, but
given both your impertinent attitude and the "Re: Suggestions for new
Pink Floyd newsgroup" article still being around and not mentioning
that a vote was in progress, I suspect it was sometime in this six day
period that you attempted to post/dreamed you posted the call for votes.

> Many people have told me that they never saw it and subsequently
> sent me 'NO' votes because I told them it was there and they didn't
> notice it. This is very immature, but I am forced to accept these
> votes.

Yes, it is.  You wouldn't have been forced to accept them if you just
acknowledged that a screw-up happened somehow in getting the call for
votes out.  Then you could have started with a (relatively) clean
slate.  At this point though, since you have been so insistent about
how right you are, you're just going to have live with the fact that
you've pretty much doomed the group which you championed.
--
   (setq mail '("tale@cs.rpi.edu" "tale@ai.mit.edu" "tale@rpitsmts.bitnet"))

TAR@MAINE.BITNET (Thom Rounds) (12/30/89)

In article <24003@gryphon.COM>, richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) says:

>You havn't seen any call for votes for a Pink Floyd newsgroup, nor
>will you. I've been cancelling many of his articles, including
>the calls for Pink Floyd votes.
>
>There will be no Pink Floyd newsgroup.

    Anyone who fakes control messages to create newsgroups would and can do so.
Is this an honest claim, Richard? You did threaten to do EXACTLY what you claim
to have done. Did you follow through? Don't forget, I keep alot of things on
file not only here but on my UUCP node as well. I can dig them up if you wish.
    If you have indeed been doing so, Richard, kindly tell the net why other
than the fact that you hate me and would do anything to piss me off and you're
doing a very good job if your claim holds true. As I said, you did make alot of
threats. The call for votes never got to my UUCP node. Are you responsible?
I really would not put it past you Richard. You get cheap thrills out of put-
ting people down. Go ahead and cross post this, Richard, as I know you will. I
am pissed, now. VERY pissed. You have succeeded, Richard. You have truly pissed
me off. I admit it. You won, Richard. Are you happy?

                               --Thom Rounds
                                 'I don't make threats. But I
                                  am a man of my word. I could
                                  smell you from a mile away
                                  when this whole thing went
                                  sour. If you are responsible,
                                  I *will* get my revenge. As I
                                  said, I don't make threats.'

wombat@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Chris Conway) (01/02/90)

In article <TAR.89364002032@MAINE.BITNET> TAR@MAINE.BITNET (Thom Rounds) writes:
>In article <24003@gryphon.COM>, richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) says:
>>
>>You havn't seen any call for votes for a Pink Floyd newsgroup, nor
>>will you. I've been cancelling many of his articles, including
>>the calls for Pink Floyd votes.
>>
>>There will be no Pink Floyd newsgroup.

WHAT!!!!!! I sure hope someone is kidding or something here. Has someone
been cancelling someone else's messages?????!!!!

I haven't said anything up to now on this whole thing. I like PF. I would
enjoy a group. But the flaming and name calling and downright fanatacism
has kept me out. But this is TOO MUCH! Is this quote for real? I did
not receive such an article here (but then, we have an insanely short
expiration time on this system). If this is real, this Richard Sexton
should have his fingers cut off. Debate is one thing. He can debate all
he wants. But you do not have the right to prevent me from hearing
Mr. Rounds words, Mr. Sexton. FOAD.

		Christopher M. Conway
		wombat@jupiter.nmt.edu
		wombat@juliet.ll.mit.edu