[alt.rock-n-roll] Skid Rows Causes Mayhem in Springfield!

pearsonm@agnes.acc.stolaf.edu (Matthew E Pearson) (01/16/90)

 I agree with you. I was at the concert and he told everyone to get back
when he threw it. I was about 8 people back from the stage! He was just ticked off he didn't want to hit anyone. He threw it at the ground (at least that is how it seemed to me.) And some bimbo got in the way so he got pissed and tried to beat the guy up.

no flares requested

Matthew Pearson                          | 'Calling all nations' INXS
INTERNET/USENET/UUCP: pearsonm@stolaf.edu| 'Were on a highway to hell' AC/DC
------------------------------ NEWS FROM WARLORD ---------------------------

kmh@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (kathleen.m.huttenhoff) (01/17/90)

In article <8571@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> sueb@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (suzanne.bollinger,al,) writes:
>>place and by not being there when trouble started to happen.  Bach should be
>>commended for taking care of himself without caring about popularity and critics
>
>Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I couldn't agree with you more.  Everyone is
>acting like Sebastian purposely threw the bottle at the girl he hit.  If you
                       ^^^^^^^^^ yes, he purposely threw the bottle.
>I am glad that most of the fans are on Sebastians side and understand his
>actions.  I just hope he is cleared of all charges. (I know I'm going to
>get a lot of slack for that comment).
>
>SuzAnne

I really can't believe that people should be 'commended' for condoning and
encouraging violence.  Yes, he did get hit with a bottle, but there were a
hell of a lot of better ways to deal with it.  The person who originally
threw the bottle was not a role model to the thousands of people who were
at the concert.  Probably none of these 'fans' thought that he/she should
be commended for it.  Does this mean that just because Sebastian was in a
position of power, the rules should be different for him?  Does this mean
that our society condones violence as a form of revenge?
The girl hit with the bottle was not the only innocent victim.  Every other
person at the concert who had to watch the senseless violence and retribution
was also a victim in my opinion.

sl201009@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Rob Francis) (01/17/90)

You're right.  How can you support a paid professional, for only
increasing the amount of violence?  Bach acted way out of line, as did
the person that threw the bottle.  Sure he was pissed off, but when
I'm pissed off at a crowd of people, I don't throw solid objects at
them!  For year, rock and roll (if you can call Skid Row that) stars
have had thrown at them while performing.  It comes w/the territory.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
= Rob Francis 				But I came here for    =
= francisr@rose.ucs.indiana.edu         an *argument*...     =
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==

ajk@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Jeff Boerio) (01/17/90)

In article <8571@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> sueb@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (suzanne.bollinger) writes:

>I am glad that most of the fans are on Sebastians side and understand his
>actions.  I just hope he is cleared of all charges. (I know I'm going to
>get a lot of slack for that comment).

I understand his actions as well.  So do some of my friends (including some
who are in a band).  I used to be in a band, and while not everyone liked
the music we played, the only thing I ever demanded from anyone was respect
for what I was doing.  I think that's the same with Sebastian, and any
other band.  If you don't like it, fine .... but give them a little respect
for doing something that they want to do.

Sure ... he was wrong for throwing the bottle back.  It's very unfortunate
that the girl was in the middle of it.  While I don't know what the exact
charges are against Sebastian, I think he'll get away with a very light
sentence, if anything.

     - Jeff

--
Jeff Boerio                     : Purdue University Dept. of Computer Science
ajk@mace.cc.purdue.edu          : Purdue University Computing Center Volunteer

In article <33191@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> sl201009@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Rob Francis) writes:

>You're right.  How can you support a paid professional, for only
>increasing the amount of violence?  Bach acted way out of line, as did
>the person that threw the bottle.  Sure he was pissed off, but when
>I'm pissed off at a crowd of people, I don't throw solid objects at
>them!  For year, rock and roll (if you can call Skid Row that) stars
>have had thrown at them while performing.  It comes w/the territory.

While we're on the topic of ethics:  What about the paid professional
athelete who abuses drugs, and is allowed to return to that sport, and not
serve any jail time.  I thought using drugs was illegal.  Why aren't these
people being prosecuted?

And, since you've brought up the point:  Have you ever been performing in
front of a large, live crowd?  One that is there to (supposedly) listen to
your performance because they enjoy what you do?  Tell us how you would
react when someone picks a fight with you.  Tell us what you would do (more
extreme) if someone drew a gun on you.

I'd be willing to bet Saturday night's IU-PU point spread that you would
defend yourself.  That is what Sebastian did.  He defended himself.
Unfortunately, an innocent bystander got hurt in the process.  PU beat the
spread on Saturday .....

     - Jeff
--

In article <3857@mace.cc.purdue.edu> ajk@mace.cc.purdue.edu (Jeff Boerio) writes:
>In article <8571@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> sueb@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (suzanne.bollinger) writes:
>
>>I am glad that most of the fans are on Sebastians side and understand his
>>actions.  I just hope he is cleared of all charges. (I know I'm going to
>>get a lot of slack for that comment).
>other band.  If you don't like it, fine .... but give them a little respect
>for doing something that they want to do.
>
>Sure ... he was wrong for throwing the bottle back.  It's very unfortunate
>that the girl was in the middle of it.  While I don't know what the exact
>charges are against Sebastian, I think he'll get away with a very light
>sentence, if anything.

Well, I'll give them a little respect for doing something they want to
do-- as long as it doesn't include bodily harm to others.....

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

cbayley@eve.wright.edu (Charles Bayley) (01/17/90)

In article <8571@cbnewsm.ATT.COM> sueb@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (suzanne.bollinger,al,) writes:
>I am glad that most of the fans are on Sebastians side and understand his
>actions.  I just hope he is cleared of all charges. (I know I'm going to
>get a lot of slack for that comment).
>
> SuzAnne

You better believe it!  I realize that Sebastian was PO'ed at the time,
but in no way should he be cleared of all of the charges.  He made a
mistake and should pay for it (both criminally and civilly), just
like anyone else.

...Charles...
(cbayley@eve.Wright.Edu)

js8q+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Joseph Swick, Jr.) (01/17/90)

Sebastian is apparently quite the trouble maker.  Skid Row
and Bon Jovi played my hometown of Johnstown, Pennsylvania
this summer in the first major rock show at the Point Stadium.
Sebastian got busted for public drunkenness and maybe more,
I'm not sure.

Apparently he got off somehow.  I wish I could give more details
but I was away for the summer.  Just wanted to relate the incident
to those interested.  Additional info welcome.

---J. J.
    js8q@andrew.cmu.edu

PS - I'm not trying to rip on Skid Row.  In fact, I rather like the album
and I hear they're good live.

canuhed@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Dylan Salisbury) (01/17/90)

> [...]  Tell us what you would do (more extreme) if someone drew a gun on you.
>
>I'd be willing to bet Saturday night's IU-PU point spread that you would
>defend yourself.  That is what Sebastian did.  He defended himself.

IMHO, throwing a bottle at a crowd and then jumping into it is NOT a very
good way to defend yourself, and Sebastian wasn't trying to.  He was pissed
and wanted to get a piece of the asshole who through the bottle.

ged@lopez.UUCP (Ged) (01/17/90)

kmh@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (kathleen.m.huttenhoff) writes:

>The girl hit with the bottle was not the only innocent victim.  Every other
>person at the concert who had to watch the senseless violence and retribution
>was also a victim in my opinion.

But everyone else was cheering...

Arrest them all for cheering on violence  hahaha.

--
********************************* -=< Ged >=- *********************************
|    Waiting for the winds of    \___________/    The Great White North!      |

kmh@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (kathleen.m.huttenhoff) (01/18/90)

A major defense of Bach's actions seems to be that he was 'Defending' himself.
To defend himself he could have:
1.) Had the bouncers remove the person responsible.
2.) Moved further back from the crowd (or put up a fence like Ministry does)
3.) Spoken out against the action, discouraging it instead of encouraging it.
etc.

Instead, he threw a bottle into the crowd.  This was not self-defense, it
was revenge.

Those who play in bands or know others who do, also know that they may face
some danger from the crowd.  After polling my friends who play in or manage
bands, so far every single one has disagreed with Bach's actions.

jb10320@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (Jawaid Bazyar) (01/18/90)

In article <3858@mace.cc.purdue.edu> you write:
>In article <33191@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> sl201009@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Rob Francis) writes:
>
>I'd be willing to bet Saturday night's IU-PU point spread that you would
>defend yourself.  That is what Sebastian did.  He defended himself.
>Unfortunately, an innocent bystander got hurt in the process.  PU beat the
>spread on Saturday .....
>
>     - Jeff
>--
>Jeff Boerio                     : Purdue University Dept. of Computer Science
>ajk@mace.cc.purdue.edu          : Purdue University Computing Center Volunteer
>boerio@orchestra.ecn.purdue.edu : Purdue University ECN Student Programmer

   Whoa. Double-take here.  Since when is hot-headed retribution "defense"?
Had someone come on stage with a bottle, or had a number of bottles been
thrown by the same immature person, S.B. would have had the right to "defend"
himself however he saw fit.  However-  this is a plain case of revenge.  He
could have had security haul the ass off- that would be defense.  But instead
he hurt a bystander.  Ol' S.B. gets a big "minus" in my book.

--
Jawaid Bazyar               | This message was posted to thousands of machines
Junior/Computer Engineering | throughout the entire civilized world. It cost

sl201009@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Rob Francis) (01/18/90)

In article <12730@cbnewsd.ATT.COM> kmh@cbnewsd.ATT.COM (kathleen.m.huttenhoff,ih,) writes:
>A major defense of Bach's actions seems to be that he was 'Defending' himself.
>To defend himself he could have:
>1.) Had the bouncers remove the person responsible.
>2.) Moved further back from the crowd (or put up a fence like Ministry does)
>3.) Spoken out against the action, discouraging it instead of encouraging it.
>etc.
>
>Instead, he threw a bottle into the crowd.  This was not self-defense, it
>was revenge.
>
>Those who play in bands or know others who do, also know that they may face
>some danger from the crowd.  After polling my friends who play in or manage
>bands, so far every single one has disagreed with Bach's actions.

When I fisrt started posting my complaint about S.B., it seemed like
the only replies posted were from supporters of S.B..  It's nice to
see that other people won't stand for S.B.'s atitude or people w/the
same atitude either.  I was starting to worry....