[alt.rock-n-roll] They Might Be Giants

geiser@chinook.cis.ohio-state.edu (paul d geiser) (01/18/90)

In article <Jan.15.14.45.03.1990.20373@aramis.rutgers.edu> bernheim@aramis.rutgers.edu (Sebastian Bernheim) writes:
>I remember going to see They Might Be Giants at Rutgers University in
>New Bruswick, New Jersey after seeing their video for "Don't Let's
>Start" on Mtv and noticing they had a show date on the activities list
>at the student center.  When I saw the video I was really stoned, so
>naturally I thought it was amazing, but I started mentioning them to
>my friends to see if anyone knew about them, and eventually one of my
>wierder buddieshad their first album.  I listened to it and liked it
>and ended up going to see the show.  I liked the show and got a
>t-shirt that said "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS" across the chest.  That was a
>real conversation starter, because most people who like TMBG seem to
>be under the delusion that they are the only ones.  I bought a single
>with "Don't Let's Start" on one side, and a few other unusual songs on
>the back, but I never bought another album because shortly after that
>I "discovered" Peter Gabriel and concentrated on getting all of his
>albums.
>
>	Well, anyway let me get to the sad part of my tale.  After my
>brief period of exposure I lost track of TMBG.  I recently saw another
>video which reminded me of how much I like them, "Ana Ng" I think was
>the name of the song.  I saw it on 120 minutes on Mtv at a friend's
>house.  What are the boys up to lately?  What albums have they put
>out?  I think I will hunt down that friend of mine who introduced me
>to them and bring a few blank tapes, but could someone provide me with
>a list of their albums and possibly tell me what they are currently up
>to?  Thanx in advance.
>--
>
>				O++O  Sebastian Bernheim
>				=\/=
>
>			"Love them little mousies!"
>	"Ma che sciagura d'essere senza coglioni!" (something like that)
>
>Disclaimer:  I just work here, they don't pay me enough to think!

Article 6310 of alt.rock-n-roll:
From: pcoen@drunivac.drew.edu (Paul Coen)
Newsgroups: alt.rock-n-roll
Subject: They Might Be Giants
Date: 13 Jan 90 00:52:24 GMT

Does anyone know the scheduled release date (if there is one) for the
new They Might Be Giants album?  I've heard stuff from it on the radio
(early promos) and I heard that it was supposed to be out this month,
but I haven't seen it yet.  Thanx.
			---------------------
	Paul Coen, Drew U. Academic Computing & Anthropology major
Take your pick:  {pcoen@drew.edu pcoen@drunivac.bitnet pcoen@drew.bitnet
                  rutgers!njin!drew!pcoen}

Article 6328 of alt.rock-n-roll:
From: mtc@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (marguerite.t.czajka)
Newsgroups: alt.rock-n-roll
Subject: Re: They Might Be Giants
Date: 14 Jan 90 16:37:46 GMT

In article <30047.25ae7bc8@drunivac.drew.edu>, pcoen@drunivac.drew.edu (Paul Coen) writes:
* Does anyone know the scheduled release date (if there is one) for the
* new They Might Be Giants album?  I've heard stuff from it on the radio

If the new album is called Flood, then it's out.   It's on Elektra.

Article 6336 of alt.rock-n-roll:
From: bernheim@aramis.rutgers.edu (Sebastian Bernheim)
Newsgroups: alt.rock-n-roll
Date: 15 Jan 90 19:45:05 GMT

In artickle <30047.25ae7bc8@drunivac.drew.edu> of alt.rock-n-roll,

and in artickle <12829@cbnewsc.ATT.COM> of alt.rock-n-roll, mtc@cbnewsc.ATT.COM
(marguerite.t.czajka) writes:

>In article <30047.25ae7bc8@drunivac.drew.edu>, pcoen@drunivac.drew.edu
>(Paul Coen) writes:
>> Does anyone know the scheduled release date (if there is one) for the
>> new They Might Be Giants album?  I've heard stuff from it on the radio
>
>If the new album is called Flood, then it's out.   It's on Elektra.

Marguerite is right.  I've been waiting expectantly for this album ever since
it was featured as the Platter du Jour in the latest issue of Spin magazine.
So I checked in the stores Monday and there was no sign.  And I checked in the
stores Tuesday and there was just barely a sign.  They had one copy.  I don't
know whether it was selling that well or whether they had only ordered one
expecting it to sell poorly.

The name of the album IS Flood.  It IS on Elektra.  They got to jump to a big
label after only two albums.  Pretty impressive.

The album has nineteen songs.  And it runs about 43.28.

I've had it under 24 hours now and (having slept for 7, spent 6 1/2 on campus
and studied) have still managed to listen to it 3 times.

Already some of my favorite songs include, Minimum Wage, Particle Man,
Twistin', Whistling In The Dark.  I need to go home and hear it more.  I can't
wait!

The cover is a picture by Margaret Bourke-White (played by Farrah Fawcett in
a TV Movie) of a flood near the early part of the century.  I don't know what
it means, yet!

In artickle <Jan.15.14.45.03.1990.20373@aramis.rutgers.edu> of alt.rock-n-roll,
bernheim@aramis.rutgers.edu (Sebastian Bernheim) writes:

>I remember going to see They Might Be Giants at Rutgers University in
>New Bruswick, New Jersey after seeing their video for "Don't Let's
>Start" on Mtv and noticing they had a show date on the activities list
>at the student center.  When I saw the video I was really stoned, so
>naturally I thought it was amazing, but I started mentioning them to
>my friends to see if anyone knew about them, and eventually one of my
>wierder buddieshad their first album.  I listened to it and liked it
>and ended up going to see the show.  I liked the show and got a
>t-shirt that said "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS" across the chest.  That was a
>real conversation starter, because most people who like TMBG seem to
>be under the delusion that they are the only ones.  I bought a single
>with "Don't Let's Start" on one side, and a few other unusual songs on
>the back, but I never bought another album because shortly after that
>I "discovered" Peter Gabriel and concentrated on getting all of his
>albums.
>
>	Well, anyway let me get to the sad part of my tale.  After my
>brief period of exposure I lost track of TMBG.  I recently saw another
>video which reminded me of how much I like them, "Ana Ng" I think was
>the name of the song.  I saw it on 120 minutes on Mtv at a friend's
>house.  What are the boys up to lately?  What albums have they put
>out?  I think I will hunt down that friend of mine who introduced me
>to them and bring a few blank tapes, but could someone provide me with
>a list of their albums and possibly tell me what they are currently up
>to?  Thanx in advance.

The answers to these and other questions will be answered in the very near
future as Dan Geiser's Complete History Of They Might Be Giants.

					Dan <geiser@cis.ohio-state.edu>

sho@maxwell.physics.purdue.edu (Sho Kuwamoto) (01/18/90)

In article <Jan.15.14.45.03.1990.20373@aramis.rutgers.edu> bernheim@aramis.rutgers.edu (Sebastian Bernheim) writes:
>	Well, anyway let me get to the sad part of my tale.  After my
>brief period of exposure I lost track of TMBG.  I recently saw another
>video which reminded me of how much I like them, "Ana Ng" I think was
>the name of the song.  I saw it on 120 minutes on Mtv at a friend's
>house.  What are the boys up to lately?  What albums have they put
>out?  I think I will hunt down that friend of mine who introduced me
>to them and bring a few blank tapes, but could someone provide me with
>a list of their albums and possibly tell me what they are currently up
>to?  Thanx in advance.

"Don't Let's Start" is off of their self-titled debut album.
"Ana Ng" is off of their second album, _Lincoln_.
They have just released their third album, _Flood_.  It came out yesterday
(Jan 16)
Not to mention numerous singles.

-Sho
--
sho@physics.purdue.edu  <<-- a snowman with protective rubber skin

canuhed@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Mister Canoehead) (01/18/90)

>and ended up going to see the show.  I liked the show and got a
>t-shirt that said "THEY MIGHT BE GIANTS" across the chest.  That was a

Does anyone know where I can get a TMBG shirt?  I'd really appreciate the
info..