From: chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach)
Subject: FCC 'chain letter' -- please stop
Date: 9 Jan 90 23:41:56 GMT

Recently a message announcing that the FCC is considering a surcharge on modem
users has been showing up on USENET in various groups. Research has shown that
there is no basis for this letter -- it seems to be an accidental re-release
of a 2 year old message. The FCC is not considering any surcharge of any kind,
and they are currently getting about 200 letters a day on the subject (that
they would like to see stop coming). The Talk Show host mentioned in the
letter (Jim Eason of KGO) has been pestered by a lot of calls (including the
FCC) wondering what was going on, and hasn't been involved in the issue in two
years.

Please STOP posting or distributing this message. If you have a copy, destroy
it. It is obsolete and causing problems on networks and BBSes nationwide.
There is no proposal on the docket and none being considered. We need to wipe
this silly thing out before things get further out of hand.

chuq

--

macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak)     "I'm curious, Doctor, why is it
      << All my own opinions. >>              called 'M-5' and not 'M-1'?"

jeremy@milton.acs.washington.edu (Jeremy York) (01/17/90)

In article <1570@lakesys.lakesys.com> macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) writes:
>Following is an article I read on news.announce.important that was recently
>posted.  Let's get off this FCC false alarm already!

Look before you leap, friend!  The original posting was concerned with
FCC with new plans about prohibiting radio stations from playing objectional
material even in the wee hours of the morning, which they can presently do.

The article you reposted, if you look again, says this in the first sentance :

>>Recently a message announcing that the FCC is considering a surcharge on modem
>>users has been showing up on USENET in various groups.

This false alarm warning is a false alarm!  Write the FCC to tell them not
to restrict radio airplay!  Don't write the FCC to complain about modem
surchages!

jeremy@klahhane.stat.washington.edu

berryh@udel.edu (John Berryhill) (01/17/90)

In article <1570@lakesys.lakesys.com> macak@lakesys.UUCP (James Macak) writes:
>Following is an article I read on news.announce.important that was recently
>posted.  Let's get off this FCC false alarm already!
>
>Jim

Nice try, but the article in n.a.i. is about a completely different topic
than the REAL one under discussion here.  The FCC is not currently
considering a modem surcharge, but they *are* considering tightening
up "decency" regulations.

--
							      John Berryhill
					   143 King William, Newark DE 19711

yh0a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Yary Richard Phillip Hluchan) (01/17/90)

Yes, the modem surcharge is old news, but this thread is about the FCC
tightening up indecency laws. Or shall we say, stranguling broadcasters.
The FCC is suing to revoke the license of a DJ who said "masturbate" on
the air...

The FCC is having a hearing soon, hoping to put a 24 hour ban on
"indecent broadcasting". It reminds me of the bad old days, when the
Germans forbade all Jazz from the airwaves. (Jazz was indecent, and
no-one minded the ban because no moral, patriotic German would listen to
jazz anyway).

shea@ntmtv.UUCP (Ray Shea) (01/18/90)

In article <1570@lakesys.lakesys.com>, macak@lakesys.lakesys.com (James Macak) writes:
> Following is an article I read on news.announce.important that was recently
> posted.  Let's get off this FCC false alarm already!
>
> Jim

Did you even read the article you reposted?!

The "false alarm" is about supposed action by the FCC to tax modem
use.  There is no such plan in the works.

But the FCC *is* conducting hearings into a 24-hour ban on indecent
material.  The deadline for your input is FRIDAY, JANUARY 19, 1990.
(That's THIS FRIDAY.)

[Jim, fans of the first amendment have enough problems fighting
censorship without people like you spreading confusing or outright
false information.  Next time think a little before you post.]

--
Ray Shea
                            Freedom of speech...just watch what you say.