[alt.rock-n-roll] That Damn Canadian Band List !

gregg@images1.Waterloo.NCR.COM (Gregg Simmons) (01/17/90)

But yackob@ic3 (Kerry Yackoboski) says:

>>8. Daniel LaVoie and Daniel Lanois may or may not be the same person
>>....(more stuff deleted......)
>>Mike Parent
>
>Daniel Lanois' work is well known in North America (e.g. production of other
>bands, and his own album).  Daniel Lavoie is a megastar in France, having
>sold literally millions, but can walk the streets of his hometown,
>Winnipeg, Manitoba, and be recognized by nobody!  I only know
>who he is because there was an article in a local paper pointing
>this out.  He has played local venues (to a few hundred people),
>but I'm unsure as to where he makes his home.

Something doesn't quite add up here.  A performance artist who sells MILLIONS
of records in France but lives in Winnipeg?  I think darq was thinking of
the Quebec (Montreal?) based performance artist Michel Lemieux.

In summary:
Daniel Lanois - producer of Peter Gabriel, U2, Bob Dylan, etc.; also has solo
	        album out; he is from Hamilton, Ontario

Daniel LaVoie - pop chanteur; megastar in France but lives in Winnipeg

Michel Lemieux - little known performance artist from Quebec (Montreal?)

[As a side note, Daniel Marois, Mario Marois and Mario Lemieux are all NHL
hockey players who should not be confused with any of the above! :-) ]

Just thought I'd try and clear up some confusion (at least I think I got it
right :-)

By the way, I read in a "predictions for 1990" column by an entertainment
writer in a Toronto newspaper that he expects Daniel Lanois to produce the
next album by, get this, Anne Murray!  Anyone else here about this?

					Gregg Simmons
					g.simmons@waterloo.ncr.com

gld@cunixd.cc.columbia.edu (Gary L Dare) (01/17/90)

In article <354@images1.Waterloo.NCR.COM> Gregg Simmons writes:

>Daniel LaVoie - pop chanteur; megastar in France but lives in Winnipeg

Lavoie now splits his time between Montreal and Paris,  but still goes
back to Winnipeg often; his family is actually from  Ste. Anne, one of
the many tiny little  French towns surrounding  the south of Winnipeg.
He is know throughout the French world, really, and is often a point I
use to start off conversation with people from France and Switzerland.

>Michel Lemieux - little known performance artist from Quebec (Montreal?)

Yep, he lives in Montreal.  His last album and tour was much better than
the first one, but not as well known. )-;

>By the way, I read in a "predictions for 1990" column by an entertainment
>writer in a Toronto newspaper that he expects Daniel Lanois to produce the
>next album by, get this, Anne Murray!  Anyone else here about this?

I wouldn't be surprised; David Foster was supposed to have done one for
Veronique Beliveau and Aldo Nova did one for/with Celine Dion.  MOney
is what matters.  Look, Liza Minelli's latest album is done with the
Pet Shop Boys and Tom Jones sang with The Art of Noise...

gld
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Je me souviens ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gary L. Dare				Jesus Saves!

link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) (01/17/90)

In article <354@images1.Waterloo.NCR.COM> g.simmons@Waterloo.NCR.COM (Gregg Simmons) writes:
>In summary:
>Daniel Lanois - producer of Peter Gabriel, U2, Bob Dylan, etc.; also has solo
>	        album out; he is from Hamilton, Ontario
>[As a side note, Daniel Marois, Mario Marois and Mario Lemieux are all NHL
>hockey players who should not be confused with any of the above! :-) ]
>Just thought I'd try and clear up some confusion (at least I think I got it
>right :-)

Oh yeah, eh?

The February 1990 issue of CD Review claims that Daniel Lanois' album
is *Cajun* music.

Hope they choke on back bacon.

Richard Link, Ph.D.
Space Sciences Laboratory

golchowy@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Gerald Olchowy) (01/18/90)

In article <1990Jan17.073145.10151@agate.berkeley.edu> link@stew.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) writes:
>In article <354@images1.Waterloo.NCR.COM> g.simmons@Waterloo.NCR.COM (Gregg Simmons) writes:
>>In summary:
>>Daniel Lanois - producer of Peter Gabriel, U2, Bob Dylan, etc.; also has solo
>>	        album out; he is from Hamilton, Ontario
>
>Oh yeah, eh?
>
>The February 1990 issue of CD Review claims that Daniel Lanois' album
>is *Cajun* music.
>
>Hope they choke on back bacon.
>
>Richard Link, Ph.D.
>Space Sciences Laboratory

Lanois is from Hamilton, and has Acadian roots I think. I may be
in error, but the Cajun's down in Lousiana are Acadians...the
Acadians who were forced(?) to leave Canada and settled in the
South.  So Acadian music and Cajun music are intimately related.

--
Gerald Olchowy   <golchowy@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca>
Chemical Physics Theory Group, Department of Chemistry

link@soup.ssl.berkeley.edu (Richard Link) (01/18/90)

In article <1990Jan17.163533.27494@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> golchowy@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (Gerald Olchowy) writes:

>>The February 1990 issue of CD Review claims that Daniel Lanois' album
>>is *Cajun* music.
>
>Lanois is from Hamilton, and has Acadian roots I think. I may be
>in error, but the Cajun's down in Lousiana are Acadians...the
>Acadians who were forced(?) to leave Canada and settled in the
>South.  So Acadian music and Cajun music are intimately related.

Yes, I know the history of Cajuns. What I meant was, I think that most
French Canadians would be surprised having their music classified as
Cajun. Perhaps there is a historical link, but several centuries of
separation have resulted in unique musical styles.

Richard Link
Space Sciences Laboratory