[alt.rock-n-roll] Gowan, Strange Advance

w0033@desire.wright.edu (01/19/90)

Has anyone out there ever heard of or know what happened to Gowan or Strange
Advance? I know they are both Canadian acts. I first bought a strange advance
cassette at a flea market in Florida for 1$. The song "She Controls Me" is an
excellent song. I first saw Gowan on MTV around '85. The song was "criminal
mind" and I never saw it again. Are these groups still together? Have they
released anything lately? Are they out on CD? I don't thinnk they were released
on CD in the US if at all.

Has anyone heard a release date for Prefab Sprout or Fish?

dquesnel@maytag.waterloo.edu (--darc) (01/19/90)

In article <266.25b65236@desire.wright.edu> w0033@desire.wright.edu writes:
>Has anyone out there ever heard of or know what happened to Gowan or Strange
>Advance? I know they are both Canadian acts. I first bought a strange advance
>cassette at a flea market in Florida for 1$. The song "She Controls Me" is an
>excellent song. I first saw Gowan on MTV around '85. The song was "criminal
>mind" and I never saw it again. Are these groups still together? Have they
>released anything lately? Are they out on CD? I don't thinnk they were released
>on CD in the US if at all.

Stange Advance has released a couple of albums since then (their debut).
The second was called 2WO, or something like that.  The only thing that
came off that here in Canada was We Run, I think.  Wasn't nearly as
impressive as their debut.

Their third album was good, though.  A few sigles came of the album, which
I believe had the same name as the lead single: Love Becomes Electric???

Strange Advance's first album was rereleased in Canada on CD with some
longer versions of the songs and a version of the lead single on their
second album.  This was as part of the series Over 60 Minutes with...
a series which their label (can't remember which right now) seems to have
started to showcase its canadian acts here in Canada.

Gowan followed up that very successful album (at least here in Canada) with
one that was also pretty good (I'm not really a Gowan fan).  Jon Anderson
did some vocals on the lead single.

I'm sure that he'll come out with something new real soon now.

But both of these bands should still be functioning units last I heard.

-darc

consp03@bingsung.cc.binghamton.edu (Christopher G. Style) (01/20/90)

     I've never heard of Strange Advance (not surprising, since I'm an
American, eh).  I can tell you a little about Gowan, though, since I've
heard descriptions of him and his music before.

     He's got three albums out, _Gowan_, _Strange Animal_, and _Great
Dirty World_.  The one that Jon Anderson sings backup vocals on is
_Great Dirty World_ (the song that Jon sings on is "Moonlight Desires"),
and that's the only album by Gowan that I have.  It's a good album
throughout: a few ballads (which are my favourite), a few hard pop-rock
songs, a few musically enticing songs.  I've heard that it's not his
best, however, and I'm dying to visit Canada and pick up the other two.
He should be coming out with a new album sometime soon, if my musician's
instincts are correct, so look for it.

                                              Christopher.