[alt.rock-n-roll] waltz ideas needed by rock band

rca@dark.rtech.COM (Bob Arnold) (01/18/90)

Are there any rock or r&b (or maybe country or jazz) songs in
3/4 time that would be known by an older audience and still be
fun for a rock band to play?

My band is playing a wedding in a month, and the couple who are
getting married would like us to play one waltz for the older folks
in the audience.  Which is fine with us, since the gig will be big
fun and we'll get to be our insensitive selves too.  Only we're
really a rock and roll band.  Our tastes (and playlist) are pretty
broad - we do a jazz tune here and there and some soul/r&b too.
Anything we like from the last 40 years is fair game, and we're
good at picking up songs.  But I'm stumped on this one.

Here are all the "rock" songs I can think of in 3/4 time:

Jimi Hendrix	Manic Depression
Tom Waits	Old '55

If we stretch the definition way over bounds:

Tom Lehrer	Poisoning Pidgeons In The Park
Debbie Boone	You Light Up My Life
???		Tennessee Waltz

Slim pickings, huh?  And none of these will do the trick.  Is this a
hopeless quest?  Any ideas?

  __    _    _   Bob Arnold		Ingres Corp.

canuhed@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Dylan Salisbury) (01/18/90)

In article <4507@rtech.rtech.com> rca@dark.UUCP (Bob Arnold) writes:
>Are there any rock or r&b (or maybe country or jazz) songs in
>3/4 time that would be known by an older audience and still be
>fun for a rock band to play?

A couple from the rock section:

No Particular Place to Go - Chuck Berry
Bad to the Bone - George Thoroughgood's version comes to mind

friedman@hydroplane.cis.ohio-state.edu (mark f friedman) (01/19/90)

In article <4507@rtech.rtech.com> rca@dark.UUCP (Bob Arnold) writes:
>Are there any rock or r&b (or maybe country or jazz) songs in
>3/4 time that would be known by an older audience and still be
>fun for a rock band to play?
>
>My band is playing a wedding in a month, and the couple who are
>getting married would like us to play one waltz for the older folks
>in the audience.  Which is fine with us, since the gig will be big
>fun and we'll get to be our insensitive selves too.  Only we're
>really a rock and roll band.  Our tastes (and playlist) are pretty
>broad - we do a jazz tune here and there and some soul/r&b too.
>Anything we like from the last 40 years is fair game, and we're
>good at picking up songs.  But I'm stumped on this one.
>
>Here are all the "rock" songs I can think of in 3/4 time:
>
>Jimi Hendrix	Manic Depression
>Tom Waits	Old '55
>
>If we stretch the definition way over bounds:
>
>Tom Lehrer	Poisoning Pidgeons In The Park
>Debbie Boone	You Light Up My Life
>???		Tennessee Waltz

How about:

Pink Floyd       (Shine on you) Crazy Diamond     * probably a good pick! *
King Crimson     Three of a Perfect Pair  (starts off in a slippery 3 or 6)
Bruford/Moraz    The Drum also Waltzes (orig. Max Roach(?))
Adrian Belew     Laughing Man (very danceable!)

"Crazy Diamond" would probably be your best bet, and I think you're
suggestion of using "Manic Depression" is good.  Actually, if you get Floyd's
"A Collection of Great Dance Songs" (or something tlike that), you'll be set.
Also, are you just limiting your waltzes to 3/4?  How about 7 or 5 or 11?  I
believe "Tied to the Whipping Post" has a nice 11 intro (almost feels like 3).
How about:

Rush             Losing It (actually in 5, but it's quite smooth!)

+-----------------------------------+---------------------------------+
|"Talk talk it's only talk...       | Mark Friedman (a REAL musician) |
| Babble, berble, banter - - -      |              is                 |
| bicker bicker bicker bicker       |   K l o n e   C r i m s o n !   |
| Brouhaha, balderdash and ballyoo! |                                 |
| Well, it's only talk...."         |   friedman@cis.ohio-state.edu   |
+-----------------------------------+---------------------------------+

rca@dark.rtech.COM (Bob Arnold) (01/19/90)

In article <7294@lindy.Stanford.EDU> canuhed@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Dylan Salisbury) writes:
>In article <4507@rtech.rtech.com> rca@dark.UUCP (Bob Arnold) writes:
>>Are there any rock or r&b (or maybe country or jazz) songs in
>>3/4 time that would be known by an older audience and still be
>>fun for a rock band to play?
>>
>A couple from the rock section:
>
>No Particular Place to Go - Chuck Berry
>Bad to the Bone - George Thoroughgood's version comes to mind

No cigar.  Both songs are in 12/8, which is really 4/4 with triplets.
The snare still comes right on the 2 and 4.  I do really mean 3/4 time.

I've received a few responses via mail, too.  I'll summarize after
more come in.  Keep 'em coming, and thanks!

  __    _    _   Bob Arnold		Ingres Corp.
|/  \  / \  / \| 			1080 Marina Village Parkway
|     /    /   |			Alameda, CA, 94501
|     \__/ \__/| rca@rtech.com		415/748-2819

cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (01/19/90)

Who - They're All in Love

--
O------------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large, cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, Binghamton NY 13901, USA
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

dts@quad.uucp (David T. Sandberg) (01/19/90)

:
:A couple from the rock section:
:
:No Particular Place to Go - Chuck Berry
:Bad to the Bone - George Thoroughgood's version comes to mind

Neither of these are in 3/4 time: rather, call them 12/8, or a "swing"
4/4.  In any event, probably only RoboCop could waltz to either one of
them.  ;')

--
David Sandberg             dts@quad.uucp or ..uunet!rosevax!sialis!quad!dts
"Hey!  Maybe Rich Little could teach Jerry Burns how to impersonate a coach!"

kudla@pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (01/19/90)

In <7294@lindy.Stanford.EDU> canuhed@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Dylan Salisbury) writes:

Dylan> In article <4507@rtech.rtech.com> rca@dark.UUCP (Bob Arnold) writes:
>Are there any rock or r&b (or maybe country or jazz) songs in
>3/4 time that would be known by an older audience and still be
>fun for a rock band to play?
Dylan> No Particular Place to Go - Chuck Berry
Dylan> Bad to the Bone - George Thoroughgood's version comes to mind

Those are both in 6/8, not 3/4. To an engineer those might be
identical, but you can't waltz to a song in 6/8....
--
Robert Jude Kudla  <kudla@pawl.rpi.edu>

"Famous? I'm not famous. People come up to me after a show and say
    'Hey, Steve!'"
                                -Jon Anderson

rawdon@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Michael Rawdon) (01/19/90)

In article <2809@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

>Who - They're All in Love

Sheesh, what a depressing song!
--
Michael Rawdon           | Looking down on the smoke, on the factories
Tulane University        | 'Till the truth creeps up unseen

petersen@netcom.UUCP (Barbara Petersen) (01/20/90)

In article <4507@rtech.rtech.com>, rca@dark.rtech.COM (Bob Arnold) writes:

> Are there any rock or r&b (or maybe country or jazz) songs in
> 3/4 time that would be known by an older audience and still be
> fun for a rock band to play?
>
> My band is playing a wedding in a month, and the couple who are
> getting married would like us to play one waltz for the older folks
> in the audience.
>
> [current list deleted....]

Hmmmm.... that's a tough one!  Other possibly (sort of, maybe, vaguely)
appropriate songs:

     "Are You Lonesome Tonight?"   Elvis Presley
     "Sweet Cherry Wine"           Tommy James and the Shondells
     "Play Me"                     Neil Diamond
     "When I Need You"             Leo Sayer
     "Scarborough Fair"            Simon and Garfunkel (or trad.)
     "America"                     Simon and Garfunkel
     "Bookends"                    Simon and Garfunkel
     "Colour My World"             Chicago (in 6/8 time, but could waltz to it)
     "Always and Forever"          ???? (I forget) (also in 6/8 time)

(These are songs my mom would be familiar with; whether they all qualify
as "rock" I'm not too sure (myself, I've never been good at "classifying"
songs); whether they would be fun for you to play, or for others to waltz
to, I have no idea (*my* favorite song to "waltz" to is "1000 Umbrellas" by
XTC, which is definitely NOT appropriate for your purposes).  For whatever
they're worth, though....)

---
Barbara Petersen
..{apple, amdahl, claris, tandem}!netcom!petersen        petersen@netcom.uucp
   "....they all remark 'it looks like a dirty marshmallow with fangs!'"

ee299bw@sdcc6.ucsd.edu (Help On The Way) (01/20/90)

Shine On You Crazy Diamond is in 6/8 (Hi PK!)
--
            Who: Dave Chesavage
          Where: dchesavage@ucsd.edu

wombat@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Christopher M. Conway) (01/20/90)

One that struck me immediately the first time I really listened to it--

"Love, Reign O'er Me" by the Who, off of Quadrophenia.

I can't tell you that the sheet music will be in 3/4. As a matter
of fact, it sounds more like it is in 1, with triplets. Which, of course,
is EXACTLY the feel one gets with a waltz. Being a classical musician
(violist), I can tell you for certain that this is as normal a waltz
in feel as the Beautiful Blue Danube, Tales from Vienna Woods, or
any others you care to name. Plus, it would just be a NICE song to
waltz to....

cjoslyn@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (01/20/90)

In article <3753@nmtsun.nmt.edu> wombat@nmtsun.nmt.edu (Christopher M. Conway) writes:
>One that struck me immediately the first time I really listened to it--
>
>"Love, Reign O'er Me" by the Who, off of Quadrophenia.
>
>I can't tell you that the sheet music will be in 3/4. As a matter
>of fact, it sounds more like it is in 1, with triplets. Which, of course,
>is EXACTLY the feel one gets with a waltz.

Except that the triplets are too fast to waltz to, too fast to move
you're feet to.  That's why this song is in 6/8, not 3/4.

Food for mailer
Food for mailer
Food for mailer
--

In article <5816@netcom.UUCP> petersen@netcom.UUCP (Barbara Petersen) writes:
>(*my* favorite song to "waltz" to is "1000 Umbrellas" by
>XTC, which is definitely NOT appropriate for your purposes).  For whatever
>they're worth, though....)

Yeah, but check out "Yacht Dance" by XTC from the import /English
Settlement/, which is in 3/4 and really might work.  .  .

Food for mailer
Food for mailer
Food for mailer