Date: Tue, 5 Apr 88 22:17:59 EDT
From: Lindsay Patten <lindsay%watsup.waterloo.edu@relay.cs.net>
To: simulation@BIKINI.CIS.UFL.EDU
Subject: Constraint Oriented Simulation

Does anyone know of any work done along the lines of Alan Borning's
ThingLab?  I spent a couple hours in the library without coming up
with anything much.  Borning's thesis and IJCAI paper are about all
I have right now.  The work seemed really interesting so I find it
difficult to believe nobody followed up on it.

Any leads?

Cheers,
	Lindsay
---
Lindsay Patten
Pattern Analysis & Machine Intelligence Lab                       lindsay@watsupDepartment of Systems Design Engineering             lindsay@watsup.waterloo.eduUniversity of Waterloo                {utai|decvax|ihnp4}!watmath!watsup!lindsay

From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: comp.simulation

The news group COMP.SIMULATION is up and running at *most* nodes. It
will be re-created at all USENET nodes in approx. another 20 days. The
reasons for this bizzare occurrence are fairly complicated and due
to USENET politics: after comp.simulation was initially created, someone
sent an "rmgroup" (remove news group) to remove it). You are now
probably asking yourself why someone did this, right? The answer lies
in the rules for formal news group creation - it is specified that
news groups must wait for the "polls to close" (=30 days) before trying
to get a news group formed; however, it is also specified that one can
form a news group from an existing mailing list as long as all current
subscribers agree (and that there are at least 100 subscribers). I (and
the net person who created comp.simulation for us) were operating under
the second principle. Unfortunately, another person did not agree
(insisting, apparently, that 30 days must elapse regardless of whether or
not you have an existing mailing list) and they took it upon themselves
to try to erase the list from existence. Wonderful, right?! Well..anyway
things are going well and we are on the road to success!!

If for some reason you are part of USENET and cannot get comp.simulation,
don't worry - it will come in approx. 20 days as I mentioned before. In the
mean time you will receive the digest as usual.

Despite this small problem, I would like to give a big plug for USENET. If
you don't get NET news via USENET, you might want to get your systems
analyst to try to get it. USENET is a collection of nodes that carry
a lot of NEWS GROUPS -- many of which you might be interested in. Once
you have installed the NEWS software, you will find it an excellent
way to browse through your own particular areas of special interest. You
may easily subscribe and unsubscribe to groups without sending messages
everywhere. Again, ask your analyst about USENET when you have some
free time.

-paul
fishwick@ufl.edu

From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu

If you are currently able to read comp.simulation from USENET, please
send me a message so that I can unsubscribe you from the subscriber
list that I currently use. I will maintain this subscriber list for
individuals who cannot get access to USENET. Everything posted to
USENET will get sent to these individuals. This will help to keep my
subscriber list small, and will help you from getting duplicate copies
of everything if you are on USENET. Thanks very much.

-paul fishwick
fishwick@ufl.edu

simulation@ufl.edu (SIMULATION DIGEST) (04/08/88)

Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
Send topical mail to:
  simulation@ufl.edu OR simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Send administrative mail (subscribing/unsubscribing) to:
  simulation-request@ufl.edu  OR simulation-request@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
________
Contents:
________

Constraint Languages
Simulation at RAND

From: Dave Mankins <dm@diamond.bbn.com>
To: fishwick@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Borning's constraint languages

The book ``Constraint programming languages'' by Wm. Leler (Addison Wesley,
1988) contains a great deal about constraint languages and their
creation.

He has an extensive bibliography, including references to a number of
papers by Borning.

You might also try the Science Citation Index (I think that's what it is
called).  The SCI is a wonderful tool for ``finding out more about something
you find described in a paper''.  It is a reverse bibliography -- that is,
you look up ``Thinglab'', by Alan Borning, and it shows you all the papers
that have CITED it in THEIR bibliographies.

A great way to start exploring a field.  Not a bad way to find out about
new fields and surprising new connections among different fields.

From: leverich@randvax.UUCP (Brian Leverich)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Object Oriented Simulations
Date: 6 Apr 88 14:47:49 GMT

It's nice to see a news group appear that's dedicated to simulation.

RAND is developing lisp- and prolog-based object oriented simulation
languages (ROSS, ERNIE, and random other stuff) for mainframes, work
stations, and PCs.  We are also formulating models (tactical combat
models, logistics models, etc.) using these tools.

Be nice to know who else is listening into this news group, what
kinds of tools they're using, and what sort of modeling they're doing.
I would be interested in swapping the usual stories about the speed
and capacity of modeling languages, modeling tricks, etc.
--
  "Simulate it in ROSS"
  Brian Leverich                       | U.S. Snail: 1700 Main St.

simulation@ufl.edu (SIMULATION DIGEST) (04/19/88)

Volume: 1, Issue: 1, Mon Apr 18 17:18:46 EDT 1988

+----------------+
|    CONTENTS    |
+----------------+

(1) Archivals
(2) Request for Simulation Software
(3) NEST is available via FTP

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 88 17:01:20 EDT
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: administrative issues

A couple of subscribers have inquired about archiving of the digest.
At present, we are not supporting an archival process but this might
change in the future. An automatic indexing program would make
archiving more attractive. I will look into this possibility.

I have written UNIX scripts which make the editing process much
easier - they will automatically generate volume and issue numbers
for each digest issue sent out. Currently there will be 10 issues and
then the volume number will be automatically updated and the issue #
reset to 1. This numbering procedure might be useful for those of
you who do your own archiving.

-pf

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 88 17:13:19 EDT
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: simulation software

I would like to make a list of all available simulation software that
is available over the network. The software should NOT be tied to one
specific application but should be either a simulation language or
a toolkit (a set of routines) that can be used for a wide variety
of applications. The software should either be 1) freely distributed, or
2) distributed with only a nominal media charge. No commercial replies,
please. Distributions via FTP (such as Columbia's NEST program) are highly
encouraged - in this manner, we net.people can avoid the real hassles
involved with trying to get Purchase Orders out (even if they are
for only $100!!). For info. on the NEST program.....see below.

After a couple of weeks, I will make a compiled list and post it to
the digest. Thanks!!

-paul f.

Date: Mon, 18 Apr 88 17:03:39 EDT
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu

Simulationists:

 The NEST distributed simulation software is available via FTP. I
recently received this message. Recall that NEST was discussed in
a previous digest issue. -pf

Subject: Nest 2.5 available via anonymous FTP

Thanks for your interest in the Nest network simulation testbed.

Nest is now available without cost to non-profit research and educational
organizations which have access to the ARPA Internet.  Both documentation and
full sources are available on the Columbia Vax [columbia.edu: 10.3.0.89].

There are four files in the ~ftp/pub directory:

 221184 bytes	nest-25-doc.tar		Lineprinter formatted documentation.
 438272 bytes	nest-25-doc2.tar	Scribe and PostScript formatted docs.
 339968 bytes	nest-25-src.tar		Source for Nest simulation library.
 208896 bytes	nest-25-disp.tar	Source for user interface display.

@alex
---
inet: dupuy@columbia.edu
uucp: !rutgers!columbia!dupuy
phone: (212) 280-4290

########################
END OF SIMULATION DIGEST
########################

simulation@ufl.edu (SIMULATION DIGEST) (04/22/88)

From fishwick Thu Apr 21 16:08:29 1988
To: fishwick < ~/sim/header1
Subject: testing

Volume: 1, Issue: 2, Thu Apr 21 17:01:27 EDT 1988

+----------------+
|    CONTENTS    |
+----------------+

(1) Simulation at Politechnical University of Catalonia
(2) In the Boxing Ring: Simulation vs. Closed-Form

Date:     Tue, 19 Apr 88 19:51 N
From: <EARAFAEL%EBRUPC51.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
Subject:  SIMULATION DIGEST
To: simulation@ufl.edu

    My best wishes to the "comp.simulation" subscribers and moderator.

    I just want to introduce a few ideas:

        1) We think that it would be interesting to know the people or
           organizations subscribed to the simulation news group.
           i.e. to have a short 'curriculum' of them  (name,
           ordinary mail address, e-mail addresses, research
           activities, topics of interest, simulation tools used or
           being developed,...).

           So, I'll introduce myself:

           *-  Name     : Antoni GUASCH
               O-mail   : Cybernetics Institute
                          Polithechnical University of Catalonia
                          Diagonal 647
                          08028 Barcelona - SPAIN
               Phone    : (343) 2492842
               E-mail   : earafael@ebrupc51.bitnet

            *- Sim. research activities :
                        - Research in continuous or piecewise continuous,
                          hierarchical simulation languages.
                        - Object oriented languajes and expert systems in
                          modelling and simulation.

           *-  Topics of interest :
                        - Real time simulation
                        - Expert systems
                        - Object oriented programming

           *-  Simulation tools used :
                          ICDSL (CSSL-like) and SIMSCRIPT

           *-  Simulation tools being developed :
                          MUSS (hierarchical simulation environment)

           *-  Some recent activities:
                        - Organisation of the IMACS International Symposium
                          on "AI, Expert Systems and Languages in Modelling
                          and Simulation".   Barcelona, June 1987
                        - A study on simulation and modelling:
                          "future satellite simulators" for
                          the European Space Agency.

           *-  Miscellaneous :
                          The Institute has three main research areas:
                          Automatic Control, Bioengineering and
                          Robotics. Simulation is a master piece
                          to deal with complex electrical networks
                          and bioengineering models.
                          The simulation group provides support and tools for
                          the Institute modelling and system analysis. It
                          also gives courses on Simulation in the Politechnical
                          University of Catalonia.
                          The simulation group is composed by 4 people:
                          Prof. Rafael M. HUBER (in charge of the simulation
                          group), two undergraduate students (Carles MUNTADA and
                          Jose Manuel MARTIN) and myself (Associated Prof.).

        2) Designing and coding a new robust simulation 'environment' is not
           an easy task. It involves aspects such as:

                     - formal language definition
                     - compiler-compiler techniques
                     - numerical integration
                     - state and time events management
                     - sorting or event scheduling problems
                     - model or experiment data bases
                     - graphical or numerical postprocessors
                     - drivers for different peripherals
                     - documentation management

           For a small group its quit difficult to cover all of these
           aspects. Moreover, a lot of time is spent designing modules
           or routines which have been already coded by somebody else.

           Thus, I feel that it would be very interesting to create
           macro-groups (M-GROUPS) interested in joining efforts and
           developing specific tools.

           I wonder if this is possible.

           I will appreciate ideas and comments about this point.

                                              Bye,  Toni
                                                   --//--

Date: Thu, 21 Apr 88 16:52:03 EDT
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: static analysis vs. simulation

How about some controversy?! I just recently got back from the
SCS Eastern Simulation Conference in Orlando and was interested
in several of the topics that arose from panel discussions and
talks. In particular, Ramana Reddy made a comment during his
plenary talk that I found very interesting...he questioned the
notion of "simulation being the *last* resort" in solving hard
problems. I agree with Ramana that this notion of "last resort"
is often incorrect. Perhaps many of you have your own thoughts
about whether simulation as a problem solving method should be
considered "a last resort." Why not a first resort! There are
many sub-issues here...I'll list some that I can think of:
(disadvantages are identified with '-' and advantages are identified
with '+'):

METHOD: CLOSED-FORM SOLUTION (i.e. static analysis)

(+) often very fast since it involves equation solving. Good example
    is queueing models (with many assumptions!).

(-) you obtain a steady state solution (which might be all that
    is required!).

METHOD: SIMULATION (i.e. dynamic analysis)

(+) extremely flexible. Can handle very large and complex scenarios.
    you obtain a transient solution.

(-) slower than closed-form in some circumstances. Also, many
    claim that it "costs more."

Here are some debatable notes:

1. Remember when calculators were larger than bookcases? At that time,
people probably said...use calculators as a last resort----but first,
see if you can solve the problem using your handy dandy slide rule.
Perhaps this issue of "simulation as a last resort" falls into the
same category. As hardware becomes cheaper and faster--there will be
less and less problems that will necessitate closed form solutions.
What is the percentage of problems now that require a closed-form
approach as a first try in problem solving? 30%, 2% ? Are there certain
domains or application areas that favor a closed-form approach?

2. As companies are coming out with visually (and object) oriented
simulation products, will simulation always *cost* more than picking
out formulas from someone's textbook on closed-form problem solving
methods? What exactly are these "costs"?

3. With closed-form methods, many assumptions must often be made to
make the problem solving process mathematically tractable. When we
make these assumptions, are we diluting our analysis and results?

4. Perhaps programs with combinations of simulation and closed-form
methods are best?

How 'bout some lively discussion?

Paul Fishwick
University of Florida

########################
END OF SIMULATION DIGEST
########################

simulation@ufl.edu (SIMULATION DIGEST) (04/22/88)

Volume: 1, Issue: 3, Fri Apr 22 10:14:06 EDT 1988

+----------------+
|    CONTENTS    |
+----------------+

(1) SIMULATION who's who
(2) Static Analysis vs. Simulation
(3) Simulation at MITRE (Moving Time Window)
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 88 08:25:26 EDT
From: jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (James W. Meritt)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: SIMULATION who's who

To follow up on Antoni GUASCH:
I'm: James W. Meritt (Jim is fine)
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory
Johns Hopkins Road
Laurel, Md 20707
301-953-5000 x 4580
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edo

I do all kinds of strange (?) stuff, but my MS concerned
advanced modelling under Operations Research / Systems
Analysis at the Naval Postgraduate School.  I've done
some continuous time-step and some event simulation in
Fortran and a touch in C.  Currently I'm looking (part time)
into object-orientated rule-based languages, especially
KEE.  I've used simscript, but really wouldn't put too much
faith in my ability.

Disclaimer: Individuals have opinions, organizations have policy.
            Therefore, these opinions are mine and not any organizations!
Q.E.D.
jwm@aplvax.jhuapl.edu 128.244.65.5

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 88 08:43:28 EDT
From: jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (James W. Meritt)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

(+) CLOSED-FORM SOLUTION
(-) SIMULATION

(+) Gives dandy expected values for lots of situations, expecially exploiting
the well-defined queueing models, for instance.

(+) marginal values often fall out.

(-) you might be able to, but I was much better at constructing rv generators
to fit a complicated set of assumptions than explicitely defining the
distribution.

(-) It is easier (for me) to get marginals and resultant distributions from
a simulation.  Statistical analysis of multiple runs is vitally important,
since I was told to shy away from any point estimate of almost anything.
This might be a fallout of my (-) just above.....

Ref your debatable notes:
2. As companies are coming out with visually (and object) oriented
simulation products, will simulation always *cost* more than picking
out formulas from someone's textbook on closed-form problem solving
methods? What exactly are these "costs"?

I feel like taking this one on:
With simulation, if you want to do even a passable job, you have to know the
properties of the system.  This analysis might cost more, but sometimes you
get the results without even doing the simulation just by getting ready!
And you really have to be careful of those picking out "textbook" closed-form
methods:
	1. Your situation will seldom fit the given solution example.
	Do you know the differences and their impacts?
	2. The problem solver might not be able to solve (or find) the
	appropriate formulation & will force the system to fit the
	methodology instead of the other way.
Object-orientated methodologies, at least to me recently, really force you
to look at the "objects" with with you are dealing.

Understanding is ALWAYS important, no matter what method you use.

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 88 08:35:53 EST
From: sokol%mwcamis@mitre.arpa
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Current MITRE work

--------

        Our group at MITRE has been working on parallel discrete event
simulations...We have developed Moving Time Window (MTW) which
is an optimistic, hybrid approach to scheduling discrete simulation events
for parallel execution.  It requires that a simulation be partitioned into
objects.  Each object assumes that the messages in its event queue is a valid
set of temporally ordered messages.  Each simulation object is responsible
for scheduling its own simulation events and maintaining its temporal
integrity by using a set of scheduling constraints.  Each MTW simulation
object uses a set of rules to determine which events can be scheduled for
parallel execution and which for sequential execution.  These constraints
attempt to exploit two very different kinds of parallelism: between simulation
objects and within simulation objects.

        MTW limits the allowable local simulation time difference
between simulation objects.  This time difference is controlled by the size of
the time window.  Only those simulation events whose execution times are
within the time window are potential candidates for execution.  The time
window may be moved up to introduce new simulation events into the execution
queue when the processors begin to run out of executable events.

        The simulation object uses a set of constraints to determine
which events in the set of potential candidate events can be scheduled for
parallel execution and which must be scheduled for sequential execution.
Events are examined in a strict time increasing order.  The constraints act to
preserve simulation event causality relationships.  This is necessary because
one task may depend on the effects of another.

        Moving Time Window is an optimistic approach.  Sometimes
this optimism is not justified.  On those occasions, a message will arrive
with a time stamp earlier than the object's local simulation time but later than

the beginning of the time window.  This type of event is called a time
anomalous event.  MTW uses three strategies to deal with anomalous events.
The first strategy is to reconstruct temporally correct information using
historical records.  The second strategy is to initiate temporal rollback and
reconstruct a more correct event history.  The third strategy is to do nothing,
as
some types of anomalous events do not require any action.  The goal of this
constraint based strategy selection is to minimize the cost of anomalous
events in synchronization overhead while maintaining temporal integrity.

        We have also developed a parallel object-oriented language,
Possum in order to support our parallel simulations.  Possum is superficially
similar to ROSS, an object-oriented language developed at RAND specifically
for simulations.  The main resemblance between ROSS and Possum is
that messages can be stated in an English-like format.  Possum allows multiple
inheritance.  Possum is implemented in Butterfly Scheme, a parallel Lisp
dialect implemented on BBN's Butterfly multiprocessor.

        Parallel processing and the MTW scheduling algorithm have
increased our test case simulation speed considerably.  Early test simulations
run on Butterfly 68000 nodes using interpreted Butterfly Scheme indicated
a speedup of 300 percent due to Moving Time Window.  We have just
completed the upgrading our machine to 68020 nodes and compiled Scheme.  Our
existing simulations are running 20 times faster.  A simulation which ran in
over 2 hours now runs in less than 10 minutes.

Lisa Sokol
sokol@mitre.arpa
(703)883-7855

########################
END OF SIMULATION DIGEST
########################

simulation@ufl.edu (SIMULATION DIGEST) (04/27/88)

Volume: 1, Issue: 4, Tue Apr 26 13:25:53 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) AI and Simulation Conference
(2) Course in Knowledge-Based Simulation

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 88 13:20:19 EDT
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu

The first meeting of the working group (Arbeitskreis) "AI and
Simulation" of the German speaking ASIM (Arbeitsgemeinschaft Simulation)
will be held 20 - 21 July, 1988 in Vienna at the Technical University.

The conference language is German.

For further information please contact:
Heimo H. Adelsberger
ADELSBER at AWIWUW11.bitnet (EARN)

Date: Tue, 26 Apr 88 13:20:27 EDT
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu

COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT

TITLE: Knowledge Based System Design and Simulation
INSTRUCTORS: Profs. Bernard P. Zeigler and Jerzy W. Rozenblit
PLACE: University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ
TIME: May 23-27
(in cooperation with Texas Instruments)

COURSE TOPICS (abstracted):

Role and Objectives of Simulation in Systems Design
The DEVS Formalism: Discrete Event Model Specification Concepts
DEVS-Scheme: An Object Oriented LISP-Based Simulation Environment
Hierarchical, Modular Model Construction in DEVS-Scheme
Knowledge Representation: The System Entity Structure
Constraint Driven Generation of Design Model Structures

FOR FURTHER INFO, CONTACT:

University of Arizona
Knowledge-Based System Design and Simulation
Office of Special Professional Education
University of Arizona
Box 9, Harvill Bldg.
Tucson, AZ 85721
PHONE: (602)-621-3054/5104

+--------------------------+
| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |
+--------------------------+

simulation@ufl.edu (SIMULATION DIGEST) (04/28/88)

Volume: 1, Issue: 5, Wed Apr 27 22:22:16 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) High Performance Workstations

Date:         Wed, 27 Apr 88 17:32:57 EDT
From: 0402909%PUCC.BITNET@rutgers.edu
Subject:      Thursday talk at JvNC (Forrestal Center)
To: comp-simulation@rutgers.edu

Thursday, April 28th, at 4:00 pm.

                    High Performance Workstations:
              How Parallel Supercedes Vector Processing

Forest Baskett of Silicon Graphics will speak at the John von
Neumann National Supercomputer Center at the Princeton Forrestal
Center, at 4:00 this Thursday.

During 1988, a number of computer companies are introducing an
altogether new generation of high performance workstations for
use by scientists and engineers.  Some of these workstations
adopt Class VI supercomputer-like vector architectures in
deskside packages.  Others employ parallelism to achieve
performance.  The speaker will argue that parallel processing
supplants vector processing as the architecture of choice.

Forest Baskett has been responsible for much of the historical
development of the computer workstation.  He served as a professor at
Stanford for eleven years, and was educated there and at Rice.  Baskett
subsequently spent four years at DEC designing that company's RISC
computer base.  He is currently vice president for R&D at Silicon
Graphics and an avid sailor.

The talk is open to the public.  Refreshments will be served at
3:40 pm.  JvNC is located at 665 College Road East, Princeton Forrestal
Center, Plainsboro NJ.  For more information, call (609) 520-2000.

--------------------  end of announcement ----------------------
Any typos or other errors in this announcement are my own;  I am
posting this on behalf of a friend at JvNC who does not have
access to local newsgroups.

--Una Smith   0402909 at PUCC.bitnet

+--------------------------+
| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |
+--------------------------+

simulation@ufl.edu (SIMULATION DIGEST) (04/29/88)

Volume: 1, Issue: 6, Thu Apr 28 17:40:08 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Digest Format...
(2) WHO's WHO

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 88 17:37:09 EDT
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: administrative stuff...

The digest format has undergone some minor changes, and it should now
work with the "undigestifying" software that people use which generally
searches for a string of dashes. Some people reported problems with
earlier issues not conforming to the proper digest format -- the
UNIX program 'readnews' requires such a format. 'rn' on the other hand,
does not. Thanks for your patience.

 Paul A. Fishwick.......... INTERNET: fishwick@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
 Dept. of Computer Science. UUCP: ...ihnp4!codas!uflorida!fish!fishwick
 Univ. of Florida.......... PHONE: (904)-335-8036
 Bldg. CSE, Room 301....... FACS is available
 Gainesville, FL 32611.....

To: comp-simulation@SDCSVAX.UCSD.EDU
From: Herb Barad <barad@tulane.tulane.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Re: SIMULATION who's who (continued)
Date: 27 Apr 88 12:51:39 GMT

I would like to introduce myself and add my two cents worth.  Here
at Tulane I am working on extending the SCOOP environment for use
in prototyping, modeling, simulation, and analysis of massively parallel
architectures.  This is a continuation of my work done at USC while
working on my dissertation.  (Actually, SCOOP stands for Southern
California Object-Oriented Prototype, maybe I should rename is to reflect
New Orleans...)

The original SCOOP environment was used to construct a prototype of a
pyramid architecture and simulate a wide range of computer vision
algorithms.  The continuing work will concentrate on making the
SCOOP environment flexible and easilty extensible.  That is, you
should be able to prototype virtually any type of parallel architecture
and simulate algorithms of interest.

The current SCOOP environment is totally written in Smalltalk-80 (PS
version).  I hope to hear the experience of others related to other
languages/environments.

--
Herb Barad	[Electrical Engineering Dept. - Tulane Univ.]
INTERNET:	barad@tulane.edu

USMail:		Electrical Engineering Dept.
		Tulane Univ.
		New Orleans, LA 70118-5674
		phone: (504) 865-5785

+--------------------------+
| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |
+--------------------------+

simulation@ufl.edu (SIMULATION DIGEST) (04/29/88)

Volume: 1, Issue: 7, Fri Apr 29 09:57:11 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Thinglab
(2) SCS Conference Quarterly

Date: Thu, 28 Apr 88 10:18:00 PDT
From: pardo@june.cs.washington.edu (David Keppel)
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: Re: SIMULATION MODELING AND ANALYSIS
Newsgroups: comp.simulation

This bounced when I tried to send it:

From: David Keppel <pardo@june.cs.washington.edu>
To: linda@watsup.waterloo.edu
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 88 12:24:39 PDT

[ Request for references on Alan Borning's ThingLab ]

Alan is still working on that sort of thing (lab) as well as constraint
languages (e.g., CLP).  There is a XEROX PARC video on Thinglab
(several years dated) and another one on "animated" encyclopedias that
do some thinglab-sorts of simulations.

If you want more references, I can go upstairs and ask him.

[[ when he has a moment, he might want to post something to the digest -pf ]]

	;-D on  ( My other computer is a circular slide rule )  Pardo

Date:    Thu, 28 Apr 88 17:50:39 GMT
From: prattc@sds.sdsc.edu (C Pratt - SCS in San Diego)
Subject: Material for SIMULATION DIGEST
To: simulation@ufl.edu

The latest edition of the CONFERENCE QUARTERLY OF THE SOCIETY FOR COMPUTER
SIMULATION HAS BEEN RELEASED.  This publication contains calls for papers
for the SCS Western Multiconference, to be held January 4-6 1989, in San
Diego, and for the SCS Eastern Multiconference, to be held March 28-31,
1989, in Tampa, Florida.  It also contains the preliminary program
for the Summer Computer Simulation Conference, to be held July 25-28, 1988
in Seattle.  If you are on the SCS mailing list you will receive one shortly,
if not, contact the SCS office, P. O. Box 17900, San Diego, CA 92117, (619)
277-3888, prattc@sdsc.bitnet, with your complete mailing address, and we will
send you a copy.

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |