[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V2 N6

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (05/22/88)

Volume: 2, Issue: 6, Sat May 21 15:36:18 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 21 May 88 15:34:08 EDT
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: chaos and simulation

After having read James Gleick's book on "Chaos" I seem to be looking
for chaotic/fractal behavior everywhere! Question: Has anyone had
a simulation written in, say, GPSS or SLAM that has exhibited forms
of chaotic behavior? In particular, I'm wondering if certain
discrete event models that contain nonlinear methods might contain
strange attractors -- perhaps we should take out the old time series
data collected from old experiments and plot them in the phase plane!
Many of the interesting facets of the book simply contain new ways
of looking at old data. In particular, experimenters should probably
pay more attention to what was previously considered "noise." Any
thoughts?

-paul

| Paul A. Fishwick.......... INTERNET: fishwick@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu     |
| Dept. of Computer Science. UUCP: {gatech|ihnp4}!codas!uflorida!fishwick|
| Univ. of Florida.......... PHONE: (904)-335-8036                       |
| Bldg. CSE, Room 301....... FACS is available                           |
| Gainesville, FL 32611.....                                             |

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |