[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V2 N10

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (06/01/88)

Volume: 2, Issue: 10, Wed Jun  1 09:18:17 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Data Bases for Simulation
(2) X Client for NEST Simulation Language
(3) LANSF: Local Area Network Simulator

Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu

From: williams@srcsip.UUCP (Sue Williams)
Newsgroups: comp.databases,comp.simulation
Subject: Database for programming libraries and simulation results
Date: 27 May 88 20:53:01 GMT

This question is directed at experienced DBA's (don't know if I am posting
to the right groups).  I'm playing DBA on a project we are working on,
we have a new copy of ORACLE.  This seems like a fairly generic problem
and I'm sure it must have been addressed by other people.

We are writing a system to automate the program evaluation process.
We do image processing applications where we run simulations of hundreds
of images and the total amount of data gathered is very large.
I would like to generically represent programs which consist of modules
which have inputs and outputs of various types, etc, AND also,
store actual data values of those inputs and outputs for lots of
executions of the program.  I can write an LDS for a particular program
that relates specific program inputs/outputs (entities) to specific results
(entities), but I would like to write a generic LDS that can represent
multiple programs.  My attempts so far are fairly ugly, is there an
existing approach to this problem?

Info and references appreciated,
Sue Williams
(ihnp4,philabs)!srcsip!williams

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 May 88 02:49:59 PDT
From: andy%saturn.Berkeley.EDU@berkeley.edu (Andrew Purshottam)
To: comp-simulation@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Request for X client for NEST system.

Is the X client developed for NEST at Northrup available,
and if so, is it ftp'able?
Reply/Metoo's to andy@xcssun.berkeley.edu, and I shall
summarize if there is interest.
Thanks,
	Andrew

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 May 88 15:41:58 MDT
From: alberta!pawel@bikini.cis.ufl.edu (Pawel Gburzynski)
To: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: A system for modeling networks
Cc: piotr@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

Dear Sir:

	When the comp.simulation group was started there was a posting there
asking for information on various simulation systems or packages that people
are using. That article has been obsoleted and removed from our system and
we don't remember the details. Anyhow, we would like to inform the simulation
community that we currently have a configurable system written in C for
simulating communication networks. The name of the system is LANSF and it can
be obtained from us for free, together with a manual and a set of examples.

	LANSF was originally designed as an accurate simulator of MAC-level
protocols for Local Area Networks. Its most important feature is a built-in
model of a channel which reflects accurately all relevant phenomena
that occur in a piece of wire. In particular, phenomena like signal
propagation, collision of two or more signals, are automatically
modeled. The system offers flexible tools for defining traffic patterns,
collecting various statistics, and dynamic tracing of the network behavior
via a window-oriented dynamic display facility. The operations of the modeled
system are programmed in C in such a way that they look as a collection of
interrupt-driven processes. LANSF was used to obtain a number of interesting
performance results (some of them were published) for collision protocols
applicable to bus-type networks.  Moreover, it was successfully used in a
graduate course on networks. With LANSF, Students were able to design
protocols, implement them, and verify their behavior. In its present
version, LANSF is a general-purpose simulation system - well suited for
investigating communication phenomena in distributed systems.
Currently LANSF is being used for modeling a distributed database. We will
be happy to answer any questions. We can also send the (rather lengthy)
manual to everybody who expresses interest in our system.

			Pawel Gburzynski   and    Piotr Rudnicki
			The University of ALberta
			Department of Computing Science
			Edmonton, Alberta, Canada   T6G 2H1

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |