[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V3 N10

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (07/25/88)

Volume: 3, Issue: 10, Mon Jul 25 09:28:55 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Simulation of Human Interaction
(2) Reply: Tree Growth Modelling

Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu

Date:     Sun, 24 Jul 88 11:16 MDT
From: <FORDJM%BYUVAX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject:  Simulation of Human Interaction (Request)
To: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu

I am currently developing a training simulation as part of my graduate
work in Instructional Psychology.  This simulation models a special
kind of "conversation" between the student and a simulated respondent
from whom the student attempts to elicit various types of information.

Can anyone point me to some sources on doing this type of simulation?
I have produced a satisfactory interaction by constructing a small
"rule base" of utterances for each respondent, but I am interested
in learning more about how others have solved similar problems.

I will be glad to summarize responses and citations (including those
I have located so far through traditional methods) and post to this
group.

John M. Ford   fordjm@byuvax.bitnet
Brigham Young University

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 23 Jul 88 10:17:44 EST
From: munnari!cidam.rmit.oz.au!mg@uunet.UU.NET (Mike A. Gigante)
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: SIMULATION DIGEST V3 N9

> Date: Thu, 21 Jul 88 12:30:02 BST
> To: simulation <uunet.uu.net!uflorida.cis.ufl.edu!simulation@ukc.ac.uk>
> Subject: Tree Growth modelling query
>

> I am interested in finding pointers to work in tree-growth
> modelling, primarily for a possible student project to
> produce a graphical Bonsai training aid. Any work that
> would allow me to characterise how pruning affects growth
> in a more or less heuristic way would be a start !
>
> Thanks,
>
> Chris Orgill,				tel +44 970 623111 x3227
> AI & Robotics Research Group,		email cho%cs.aber.ac.uk@uunet.uu.net
> Computer Science Department,
> University College of Wales,
> Aberystwyth,
> Dyfed, United Kingdom. SY23 3BZ.

Aristid Lindenmayer
"Mathematical Models for Cellular Interactions in Development"
Jounal of Theoretical Biology, Vol 18, 1968 pp280-315

M. Aono, T. Kunii
"Botanical Tree Image Generation"
IEEE CG&A, Vol 4(5) 1982 pp55-64

Alvey Ray Smith
"Plants, Fractals, and Formal Languages"
Proceedings of SIGGRAPH '84, pp1-10

James Arvo, David Kirk
"Modeling Plants with Environment-Sensitive Automata"
Proceedings of Ausgraph '88, pp 27-33

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |