[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V4 N5

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (08/24/88)

Volume: 4, Issue: 5, Tue Aug 23 15:00:49 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Optimum Track/Ship Routing
(2) Simulating X-Windows Performance
(3) PASSIM and microPASSIM
(4) Conference Information Requested

Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu

Date: Fri, 19 Aug 88 15:10:02 EDT
From: jwm@stdc.jhuapl.edu (Jim Meritt)
To: @bikini.cis.ufl.edu:simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Computer aided routing

> We are looking for a  tool to simulate
> a vehicle routing/scheduling model. Any
> advise/experience  would be highly appreciated.

Recommend you look at the "Optimum Track, Ship Routing" dynamic programming
procedure used by the US Navy for transit scheduling.

Jim Meritt

------------------------------

To: ames!comp-simulation@ames.arc.nasa.gov
From: sm@pbhya.PacBell.COM (Sonu Mirchandani)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation,comp.protocols.tcp-ip
Subject: X.windows performance over Ethernet
Date: 20 Aug 88 00:09:40 GMT

I am wondering if anyone out there has simulated x windows performance
over ethernet. General performance test results (non x window applications)
will also be very useful.

Specifically, I am trying to find out how to optimize x windows
ie which processes on x windows, for example, are better off caching
their information in the workstation instead of going over the ethernet

I am new to Xwindows, new to the net and am enquiring on behalf of
a colleague. My apologies if this has been already discussed/covered
here. You may reply directly to me or off the net - either way I will
summarize. thanks very much,

sonu mirchandani
pacific bell
2600 camino ramon, 1s950J
san ramon california 94583
....sun!ptsfa!pbhya!sm

phone: 415-823-8908

------------------------------

From: mozart!bloom!phaedrus!tla@research.att.com
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 88 09:52:57 EDT
To: mozart!research!uflorida.cis.ufl.edu!simulation
Subject: Re: Discrete simulation packages

> From: Markus Sadeniemi FUNET <SADENIEMI%FINFUN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
> Subject:  Discrete simulation packages

> I am going to make some simulation on computer
> networks. I would like to get a simulation
> package on a PC (or rather on both PC and VAX).

> The package should be cheap (for educational use).
> Is there a simulation package that were PD or
> freeware?

> It might be based on Pascal, Fortran or even Prolog.

> I have heard names like SIMPAS, PASSIM (are they
> different?) and PASION, but I don't know if they
> are available somewhere.

> regards,
> Markus Sadeniemi

I can tell you about PASSIM and an enhanced microcomputer version
microPASSIM.  They are different than SIMPAS.

PASSIM was developed by D Uyeno, D Phillips, W Vaessen, and A Solecki
at University of British Columbia around 1981.  It is PASCAL-based and
was developed for main frame computers.  It was developed under a
grant and is probably still available from them for a modest fee.

microPASSIM based on PASSIM was developed by Claude Barnett
(Department of Physics, Walla Walla College, College Place, WA 99324
509-527-2086).  He reconfigured the program to run on 8 and 16 bit
microcomputers (the first version ran on an Apple II under UCSD
Pascal), added interactive control of the simulation and model
parameters, limited graphical animation of the model and other
features.  The most recent versions run on PC under Turbo Pascal(r)
and VAXen under DEC Pascal.  The author encourages educational use and
makes it available under very inexpensive site licenses.

			     --	Terry L Anderson
				AT&T Bell Laboratories -- Liberty Corners
				UUCP:	...!att!mozart!tla
				NET:	tla@mozart.ATT.COM
				TeleMail: Terry.Anderson
				(201) 580-4428

------------------------------

From: mcvax!crin.crin.fr!napoli@uunet.UU.NET (Amedeo NAPOLI)
Date: 23 Aug 88 05:10:06 GMT
To: comp-simulation@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Submission for comp-simulation
Responding-System: crin.crin.fr

From: napoli@crin.crin.fr (Amedeo NAPOLI)
Newsgroups: fnet.general,comp.simulation,comp.ai
Subject: References needed
Date: 23 Aug 88 05:10:05 GMT

I got copies of some papers but I have not their full reference.
Can someone tell me where took place the following conferences:

- International Conference on Fifth Generation Computer Systems, 1984
- 14th Simula Users Conference, 1986
- France-Japan Artificial Intelligence and Computer Science Symposium, 1986

Many Thanx,
--
--- Amedeo Napoli @ CRIN / Centre de Recherche en Informatique de Nancy
EMAIL : napoli@crin.crin.fr - POST : BP 239, 54506 VANDOEUVRE CEDEX, France