[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V4 N7

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (08/30/88)

Volume: 4, Issue: 7, Mon Aug 29 13:38:10 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Network Simulation Package Wanted
(2) Simulation of Pharmacokinetics
(3) Vehicle Routing
(4) Simulated Annealing Packaged Wanted

Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu

Date:     Fri, 26 Aug 88 16:57:32 EDT
From: Melisse Leib <mleib@SURAN.BBN.COM>
To: simulation@BIKINI.CIS.UFL.EDU
Subject:  Wanted: Information on network simulation tools

I'm looking for a package that will assist the simulation of
computer networks.  I've looked at NEST and Opnet, and I'm not
happy with either.  My most important criterion is that the
package allow simulations to be rapidly and easily coded, debugged,
and tested.
Can anyone suggest a package?

Melisse (mleib@bbn.com)

------------------------------

To: uunet!comp-simulation@uunet.UU.NET
Newsgroups: comp.simulation,sci.med,sci.bio.technology
Subject: Simulation of Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Processes
Date: 26 Aug 88 16:47:35 GMT
Sender: ccicpg!felix!dhw68k.cts.com!Rick.'Transputer'.Stein@uunet.UU.NET

Does anyone know of research into the simulation of pharmacodynamics
or pharmacokinetic reactions?  I understand that the human body is
a highly nonlinear system (see Peter Weiler in the ACS monograph:
"Pharmacokinetics: Mathematics and Processes").  Can anyone tell me
why the FDA has not started an automated drug certification program
where the reaction matrix for a compound is evaluated on a computer
instead of live animal tests?  It seems to me that a big enough
computer (say a transputer-based multicomputer system) with the right
software could accomplish this task.

Rick 'Transputer' Stein (uunet!dhw68k!stein)
"All the worlds a nonlinear stage" --Shakestein

[[You might want to study compartmental modeling which
  is used frequently in biology, and drug
  testing, etc. A good book is:

"Compartmental Analysis in Biology and Medicine"
By John A. Jacquez
The University of Michigan Press
1985 (Second Edition)

-paf]]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 28 Aug 88 22:54 EST
From: Ezra Zubrow <APYEZRA@ubvmsc.cc.buffalo.edu>
Subject: RE: SIMULATION DIGEST V4 N4
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.EDU

REPLY:
TO PETER VERBRUGGEN , RANK XEROX VENRAY, THE NETHERLANDS RE : VEHICLE ROUTING.
If geographic accuracy is a necessary aspect of the vehicle routing
scheduling model, I can recommend a geographic information system
called arc-info. It has both networking and allocation algorithms
built into the system.  One can easily add the scheduler with tools.
It is available from the esri corporation, Redlands California.  There
are vax, prime, and pc versions in existence.  One might have to write
with the tool box a scheduling algorithm but that shouldn`t be to
difficult. Best of luck.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 29 Aug 88 11:51:41 EDT
From: Gary Dare <dare@eevlsi.ee.columbia.edu>
To: comp-misc@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU, comp-simulation@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: Looking for a Simulated annealing package

Does anyone know of a public domain or very inexpensive program that
minimizes a function using the simulated annealing algorithm?

RSVP to one of the addresses below.  Merci!

gld

Gary L. Dare				"Too old to rock'n'roll,
> dare@eevlsi.ee.columbia.EDU		 too young to die!"
> gld@cunixc.BITNET					Jethro Tull

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |