[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V4 N10

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (09/16/88)

Volume: 4, Issue: 10, Fri Sep 16 09:13:16 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) ISPS under UNIX...
(2) Chaotic System Behavior

Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu

Date: Tue, 13 Sep 88 09:30:37 cdt
From: reed@m.cs.uiuc.edu (Daniel A. Reed)
Office:  136 Digital Computer Laboratory
Telephone-Number: (217) 333-3807
To: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: ISPS under UNIX

Mats Bjorkman from Uppsala recently asked this question.  I too
am interesting in possible answers...

Dan Reed
Department of Computer Science
University of Illinois

reed@a.cs.uiuc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 88 09:03:16 EDT
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@bikini

[[This article appeared in comp.theory.dynamic-sys and it contains
some relevant points concerning modeling and simulation. So, I'm
forwarding it to our list. Please feel free to post other simulation-
related articles that you may find on the net. Any followups to this
article should probably cross-post to sci.math and comp.theory.dynamic-sys
-paf]]

Newsgroups: comp.theory.dynamic-sys,sci.math
Subject: chaotic computer networks
Date: 15 Sep 88 10:43:30 GMT
XPortal-User-Id: 1.1001.2214

There was an article in the Sunday New York Times (Sept.  11)
(The Week in Review, p. 6) on chaotic behavior in computer
networks.  This is an interesting phenomenon in itself; anyone
with further information or references is encouraged to share it.

Also, Alan Perlis, a Yale computer scientist, is quoted in the
article. His remarks puzzle me; they seem to be quoted out
of context (see my remarks below).

Excerpts from the article:

   "As computer systems continue to grow more complex, scientists
   are finding it increasingly difficult to accurately predict
   their behavior." [...]

   "Recently, for example, computer designers at TRW, the weapons
   manufacturer, were surprised to find that a large computer
   network they had strung together in Europe was exhibiting
   strange, unpredictable behavior.  On close examination the
   engineers discovered nothing wrong with the design of the
   system, which linked together hundreds of computers as part of
   a military data communications network.

   "The engineers now suspect that they were confronted with the
   mathematical concept called chaos, a natural phenomenon that
   leads to turbulence in rapidly moving water or in the
   atmosphere.

[...stuff about determinism vs. controllability...]

   "But if a computer network is, like the weather, subject to
   chaos, then there will always be a danger of constructing
   systems that elude the control of their inventors".

[...(we didn't need chaos theory to tell us this)...]

   "A group of experimenters at Xerox Palo Alto Research Center
   in California recently conducted a series of experiments that
   indicate that large aggregations of connected computers can
   exhibit unpredictably wild oscillations and unstable behavior.
   The research offers new insights into the behavior of the
   immense data networks that are blanketing the planet.

[(does anyone have further information on this line of research?)]
[...stuff about computational ecology and distributed computing...]

Here's the part that puzzles me:

   "Alan Perlis, a Yale computer scientist, suggests that the
   chaos problem lies in the inevitable disparity between the
   real world and the models used to simulate it.  Even the
   finest computer simulation is only an approximation.  At some
   point that cannot be determined in advance, the discrepancies
   between reality and the computer's simplified world view will
   lead to a chaotic breakdown."

Perlis seems to be talking about an entirely different topic.
There are no models in a computer network, it's a real thing with
real behavior that is being observed 'as it happens', not being
simulated.  I.e., it's a bona fide 'natural' phenomenon.

In addition, chaos is a structurally stable behavior of systems,
so there is no reason to believe that such stuff only happens in
computer simulations and not in reality.  My initial impression
of the statement was that occurrence of chaos was due to inherent
innacuracies in modeling.  While it's true that the occurrence of
chaotic behavior may make a model's quantitative predictions
worthless, a prediction that chaotic behavior will occur should
be reliable.

Perhaps Mr. Perlis meant to criticize the experimental methods of
the Xerox scientists, as not reflective of the actual situation
seen by TRW; this may be so-- it's not clear from the article.

On the other hand, he may have been talking about network traffic
models which suggest control strategies which are theoretically
stable, but not when implemented in practice.  Are there any network
traffic models which have been demonstrated to exhibit chaotic
behavior?

Kevin McCarty

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |