[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V5 N2

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (09/19/88)

Volume: 5, Issue: 2, Mon Sep 19 11:31:33 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

SPECIAL ISSUE: Commonsense Reasoning/Continuous Actions

Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu

Date: Fri, 16 Sep 88 20:43:01 pdt
From: Bruce D'Ambrosio <dambrosi@mist.cs.orst.edu>
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Re:  SIMULATION DIGEST V5 N1

> Has anyone seen a commonsense model that is superior to differential equations,
...?

There are several problems here.  Imagine attempting to build an autonomous
agent that can apply "commonsense " physical knowledge to reason about
situations it encounters.  What would it have to do?  I propose roughly
the following scenario (assuming it has first tried some form of case-based
or experiential reasoning, which I ingore for the present discussion, but
in no way discount the importance of):

   1.  Chose an appropriate domain theory given the current situation,
         goals, etc.

   2.  Segment the world situation appropriately.

   3.  Build a model of the world situation in some formal mathematics.

   4.  Solve the mathematical system.

   5.  Interpret the results in terms of the world situation being faced.

(This is only very approximate, and I do not mean to imply strict sequentiallity
of the steps - especially 1 and 2)

When we look at this larger problem, we see that classical physics offers
several theories, but no formal mechanism for choosing an appropriate one.
It says nothing about segmenting, or how to construct a formal model given
a theory, a mathematics, and a segmentation.  Mathematics provides lots of
techniques for solving systems of equations if you chose standard
quantitative math, but again, there are no formal methods (although lots of
informal ones) for "interpreting" the resulting solutions physically.

Most of the interesting work in "commonsense physics" can be seen as
addressing items above that are completely ignored (at least in terms
of providing formal, automatable techniques) by physics (Forbus, especially,
worries about segmentation (defviews and contingent individuals) and
extending the range of mathematics available (deKleers work on confluences,
and William's work to provide a new qualitative algebra, esp), to better
match the range of situations in terms of data available, precision of
results required, etc.

------------------------------

[anonymous]

The problem you raise, that of modeling continuous/dynamic
systems, is addressed in new ways (newer than differential
equations) by the folks working in "qualitative physics"
and "qualitative simulation".  In particular, I call your
attention to the book "Qualitative Reasoning About Physical
Systems", edited by Daniel G. Bobrow, 1985, MIT Press.
Of several people working in this field, the one whose work
is most closely related to modern control theory (which uses
coupled first-order differential equations) is Benjamin Kuipers.
His QSIM algorithm (Artificial Intelligence, Vol. 29, No. 3)
uses couple first-order _qualitative_ differential equations.

Kuipers' QSIM and Forbus' QPE, for example, are both used
for modeling continuous physical systems in a qualitative way.

------------------------------

Article 1679 of comp.ai:
From: lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu (Greg Lee)
Newsgroups: comp.ai,sci.math,sci.lang
Subject: Re: state and change/continuous actions
Date: 17 Sep 88 16:14:13 GMT

>From article <18249@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU>, by fishwick@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU (Paul Fishwick):
"
"  2) If commonsense knowledge representation is the issue then we
"     might want to ask a fundamental question "Why do we care about
"     representing commonsense knowledge about continuous actions?"
"     I can see 2 possible goals: One goal is to validate some given
" ...

To reason about continuous actions where the physics hasn't been
worked out or is computationally infeasible.  How about that as a
third goal?

" Obviously, I'm trying to spark some inter-group discussion and so I hope
" that any responses will post to both the AI group (comp.ai) AND
" the SIMULATION group (comp.simulation). In addition (sci.math) and
" (comp.theory.dynamic-sys) may be appropriate.

Tsk, tsk.  Left out sci.lang.  The way people think about these
things is reflected in the tense/aspect systems of natural languages.

" I believe that Genesereth and Nilsson are quite correct that "reasoning
" about time and continous actions" is an important issue. However, an
" even more important issue revolves around people discussing
" concepts about "state," "time," and "change" by crossing disciplines.
" Any thoughts?

In English, predicates which can occur with Agent subjects, those
capable of deliberate action, can also occur in the progressive
aspect, expressing continuous action.  This suggests some
connection between intent and continuity whose nature is not
obvious, to me anyway.

		Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

------------------------------

Article 1685 of comp.ai:
From: smryan@garth.UUCP (Steven Ryan)
Newsgroups: comp.ai,sci.math
Date: 19 Sep 88 01:18:29 GMT

>Foundations of Artificial Intelligence," I find it interesting to
>compare and contrast the concepts described in Chapter 11 - "State
>and Change" with state/change concepts defined within systems
>theory and simulation modeling. The authors make the following statement:
>"Insufficient attention has been paid to the problem of continuous
>actions." Now, a question that immediately comes to mind is "What problem?"

Presumably, they are referring to that formal systems are strictly discrete and
finite. This has to do to with `effective computation.' Discrete systems can be
explained in such simple terms that is always clear exactly what is being
done.

Continuous systems are computably using calculus, but is this `effective
computation?' Calculus uses a number of existent theorems which prove some
point or set exists, but provide no method to effectively compute the value.
Or is knowing the value exists sufficient because, after all, we can map the
real line into a bounded interval which can be traversed in finite time?

It is not clear that all natural phenomon can be modelled on the discrete
and finite digital computer. If not, what computer could we use?

------------------------------

Date: 18 Sep 88  1543 PDT
From: John McCarthy <JMC@SAIL.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: common sense knowledge of continuous action
To: fishwick@BIKINI.CIS.UFL.EDU, ailist@AI.AI.MIT.EDU

If Genesereth and Nilsson didn't give an example to illustrate
why differential equations aren't enough, they should have.
The example I like to give when I lecture is that of spilling
the water glass on the lectern.  If the front row is very
close, it might get wet, but usually not even that.  The
Navier-Stokes equations govern the flow of the spilled water
but are entirely useless in this common sense situation.
No-one can acquire the initial conditions or integrate the
equations sufficiently rapidly.  Moreover, absorbtion of water
by the materials it flows over is probably a strong enough
effect, so that more than the Navier-Stokes equations would
be necessary.

Thus there is no "scientific theory" involving differential
equations, queuing theory, etc.  that can be used by a robot
to determine what can be expected when a glass of water
is spilled, given what information is actually available
to an observer.  To use the terminology of my 1969 paper
with Pat Hayes, the differential equations don't form
an epistemologically adequate model of the phenomenon, i.e.
a model that uses the information actually available.

While some people are interested in modelling human performance
as an aspect of psychology, my interest is artificial intelligence.
There is no conflict with science.  What we need is a scientific
theory that can use the information available to a robot
with human opportunities to observe and do as well as a
human in predicting what will happen.  Thus our goal is a scientific
common sense.

The Navier-Stokes equations are important in (1) the design
of airplane wings, (2) in the derivation of general inequalities,
some of which might even be translatable into terms common sense
can use.  For example, the Bernouilli effect, once a person has
(usually with difficulty) integrated it into his common sense
knowledge can be useful for qualitatively predicting the effects of
winds flowing over a house.

Finally, the Navier Stokes equations are imbedded in a framework
of common sense knowledge and reasoning that determine the
conditions under which they are applied to the design of airplane
wings, etc.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 88 11:24:23 EDT
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick>
To: fishwick@fish

I very much appreciate Prof. McCarthy's response and would like to comment.
The "water glass on the lectern" example is a good one for commonsense
reasoning; however, let's further examine this scenario. First, if we
wanted a highly accurate model of water flow then we would probably
use flow equations (such as the NS equations) possibly combined with
projectile modeling. Note also that a lumped model of the detailed math
model may reduce complexity and provide an answer for us. We have not
seen specific work in this area since spilt water in a room is
of little scientific value to most researchers. Please note that I am
not trying to be facetious -- I am just trying to point out that *if* the
goal is "to solve the problem of predicting the result of continuous actions"
then math models (and not commonsense models) are the method of choice.
Note that the math model need not be limited to a single set of PDE's.
Also, the math model can be an abstract "lumped model" with less complexity.
The general method of simulation incorporates combined continuous and
discrete methods to solve all kinds of physical problems. For instance,
one needs to use notions of probability (that a water will make it
to the front row), simplified flow equations, and projectile motion.
Also, solving of the "problem of what happens to the water" need not
involve flow equations. Witness, for instance, the work of Toffoli and
Wolfram where cellular automata may be used "as an alternative to"
differential equations. Also, the problem may be solved using visual
pattern matching - it is quite likely that humans "reason" about
"what will happen" to spilt liquids using associative database methods
(the neural netlanders might like this approach) based on a huge
library of partial images from previous experience (note Kosslyn's work).

I still haven't mentioned anything about artificial intelligence yet - just
methods of problem solving. I agree that differential equations by
themselves do not comprise an epistemologically adequate model. But note
that no complex problem is solved using only one model language (such as
DE's). The use of simulation is a nice example since, in simulating
a complex system, one might use many "languages" to solve the problem.
Therefore, I'm not sure that epistemological adequacy is the issue.
The issue is, instead, to solve the problem by whatever methods
available.

Now, back to AI. I agree that "there is no theory involving DE's (etc.)
that can be used by a robot to determine what can be expected when a
glass of water is spilled." I would like to take the stronger position
that searching for such a singular theory seems futile. Certainly, robots of
the future will need to reason about the world and about moving liquids;
however, we can program robots to use pattern matching and whatever else
is necesssary to "solve the problem." I supposed that I am predisposed
to an engineering philosophy that would suggest research into a method
to allow robots to perform pattern recognition and equation solving
to answer questions about the real world. I see no evidence of a specific
theory that will represent the "intelligence" of the robot. I see only
a plethora of problem solving tools that can be used to make future
robots more and more adaptive to their environments.

If commonsense theories are to be useful then they must be validated.
Against what? Well, these theories could be used to build programs
that can be placed inside working robots. Those robots that performed
better (according to some statistical criterion) would validate
respective theories used to program them. One must either 1) validate
against real world data [the cornerstone to the method of computer
simulation] , or 2) improved performance. Do commonsense theories
have anything to say about these two "yardsticks?" Note that there
are many AI research efforts that have addressed validation - expert
systems such as MYCIN correctly answered "more and more" diagnoses
as the program was improved. The yardstick for MYCIN is therefore
a statistical measure of validity. My hat is off to the MYCIN team for
proving the efficacy of their methods. Expert systems are indeed a
success. Chess programs have a simple yardstick - their USCF or FIDE
rating. This concentration of yardsticks and method of validation
is not only helpful, it is essential to demonstrate the an AI method
is useful.

-paul

| Prof. Paul A. Fishwick.... INTERNET: fishwick@bikini.cis.ufl.edu       |
| Dept. of Computer Science. UUCP: gatech!uflorida!fishwick              |
| Univ. of Florida.......... PHONE: (904)-335-8036                       |
| Bldg. CSE, Room 301....... FAX is available                            |
| Gainesville, FL 32611.....                                             |

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |