[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V5 N3

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (09/21/88)

Volume: 5, Issue: 3, Wed Sep 21 12:30:26 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Real-Time O/S Kernels
(2) ATM Node Simulator
(3) State and Change...continued

Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu

Date: Mon, 19 Sep 88 09:37:23 MDT
From: gatech!hao.ucar.edu!cmiller@bikini.cis.ufl.edu (Charlie Miller)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

To: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
>From: cmiller@hao.ucar.edu
Newsgroup: comp.simulation

I was just curious if there are any other users of off-the-shelf
real-time operating system kernels.  Specifically real-time UNIX.

We are using a product called VxWorks in the implementation of
multi-tasking real-time pipelined video processors.  I would like
to correspond with other users of VxWorks and possibly share
developed code and device drivers.

Believe it if you need it...
-Charles E. Miller      Software Engineer
USPS Mail:              High Altitude Observatory
			P.O. Box 3000
			Boulder CO  80307
UUCP:                   {arizona,decvax,ihnp4}!hao!cmiller
Internet:               cmiller@hao.ucar.edu

------------------------------

From: mcvax!ariadne!sstelios@uunet.UU.NET (Stelios Sartzetakis)
Date: 20 Sep 88 11:43:51 GMT
To: mcvax!cwi.nl!comp-simulation@uunet.UU.NET
Subject: Submission for comp-simulation
Responding-System: ariadne.UUCP

From: sstelios@ariadne.UUCP (Stelios Sartzetakis)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation,comp.protocols.misc
Subject: ATM simulator wanted.
Date: 20 Sep 88 11:43:50 GMT

I would like to ask if anyone out there has ever heard of
an ATM (Asynchronous transfer mode) node simulator.
-It's a specific packet oriented transfer mode using
asynchronous time division multiplexing technique.-

We are desperately seeking any kind of such a network node
simulator. We will use it to process digital video data,
for network management purposes.

Reply to me directly, and if there is something of general
interest, I'll summarize to the net.

Thanx in advance,

Stelios Sartzetakis             Office: +30 81 229368, 221171,229302,229346
                                Fax   : +30 81 229342...........(Preferred)
Systems Analyst                 Telex : 262389 CCI GR...(if all else fails)
Foundation of Res.&Tech Hellas	UUCP  :{mcvax,inria,unido}!ariadne!sstelios
Institute of Computer Science   P.O.Box 1385, Heraklio, Crete Greece 711 10

-----------------------------

Date:         Mon, 19 Sep 88 17:11:40 EDT
From: Dick Nance <NANCE@VTVM1.CC.VT.EDU>
Subject:      Time and State -- Recent Digest Issue
To: COMP.SIMULATION

    Is the issue on non-linear behavior -- the article and
the reference to Bernardo's book pertinent to discrete event
enthusiasts or only to continuous types?
    The discussion on state and change has been an undercurrent
in des modeling since the early days.  Mike Overstreet's
characterization of the three world views in terms of locality
encapsulates the distinctions as well as can be done in few
words:

       event scheuling: temporal locality
       activity scan: state locality
       process interaction: object locality

The AI people have centered primarily on state locality, which
our UK simulation colleagues have long held is the best for controlling
complexity.
    My paper in Communications ACM, April 1981 dealt with the
necessity for resolving much of the confusion surrounding the des
modeling world.  Suggestion: why not get some individual (or VERY
small group) from each community (des and AI) to compose a list
(10 or less) of the best works treating time and state  relationships
(state transitions, model indexing, etc.) to share with each other.
These could prove valuable in getting a shared perspective,
particularly on the major challenges of parallel processing for
both communities or, more importantly, the intersection subcommunity.

Dick Nance

P.S.  Keep my old address, at least for the time being.  I am using
      this account to simplify the mailing.
.
QUIT
z SMTP VTVM1  9/19/88
' SMTP@VTVM1.CC.VT.ED NANCE@VTVM1          9/19/88 Undeliverable Mail

------------------------------

Date: 19 Sep 88  1304 PDT
From: John McCarthy <JMC@SAIL.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: reply to message
To: fishwick@FISH.CIS.UFL.EDU

I would like to change the example slightly to make it clearer what
capability we might want to give a robot.  Suppose someone spills
his glass on the table, and the robot is sitting at the table.  It
will have to do a triage on the papers on the table, deciding that
some don't have to be rescued, others can't be rescued and some can
be rescued if it acts quickly.

My relevant experience is probably between 5 and 20 occasions.

I don't disagree with your remarks on lack of a mathematical theory.
The remarks on pattern recognition are vague, and I would be surprised
if you knew how to make them precise.  What patterns are meant?  In
particular which of the numerous aspects of an experience go into
the pattern?  There are two subcases. (1) You are permitted to design
the pattern recognition framework knowing that saving papers from
wetness is the problem.  (2) Only your general annoyance avoidance
mechanism is in question.  Any liquid spilling specialization must
come out of the general mechanism.  Here are some concepts I consider
relevant.

1. Epistemological adequacy.  The general patterns or facts or other
mechanisms concerning liquids must be capable of dealing with the
information available to the robot at the time.  We can suppose the
robot has a TV camera and a microphone as its inputs.  A lumped model
can be provided if the work in forming it is done in advance, and you
specify how the results of this preliminary physics is to be connected
to the TV picture.

2. Elaboration tolerance.  Suppose the particular table has trenches
in it and that a squeegee is at hand.  The idea of using the squeegee
to sweep the liquid off the table or into a trench should be usable
within half a second.  I call it elaboration tolerance, because it
involves the ability of the system to make use of new information.
Another possible elaboration that might come to mind is someone saying
to put an arm on the table to keep the liquid away from a particularly
manuscript by Hubert Dreyfus.

I think that using physics to build a lumped model is appropriate provided
the result ends up in an epistemologically adequate form.

As Genesereth and Nilsson said in their book, the problem of representing
qualitative information about continuous actions and events is even
more unsolved than the corresponding problem for discrete actions.
Nevertheless, I suggest a contest to come up with the best description
of what needs to be added to a robot to deal with the liquid spilling
on the table and threatening the papers.  I suggest that the entries
be short enough to fit in  paragraph or two and be readable by humans,
but that the criterion for success be concreteness.  I'll try but first
I'd like to see a pattern or two.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 Sep 88 12:18:47 EDT
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick>
Subject: Reply to Prof. McCarthy
To: comp.simulation

The example that you provide concerning the pile of papers certainly
sounds like a difficult problem; however, I would think that this
problem should be made very specific so that one can get a handle
on it. For instance, the problem might be stated as "sort through
all papers and pick out only those papers that have some identifying
characteristic." The problem must be stated unambiguously, otherwise,
solutions will be too general and not specific enough for encapsulation
into the robot.

You are correct about my remarks on pattern recognition as being
vague. They are vague simply because the problem of recognizing "shape
from motion" in computer vision is a difficult one. However, this
is what must be done if the robot is to succeed. Note that any theory
on actions to take when a liquid is spilt presupposes solutions to
the "moving liquid" pattern recognition problem. So when I discuss
the pattern recognition problem, I am discussing a problem that must
be addressed first before one deals with the manipulation of induced
concepts at some higher level. To a great extent, then, I see theories
of commensense reasoning as "jumping the gun." One must first solve
the pattern recognition problem. I am certainly not an authority on
computer vision and would be interested in hearing about problems
associated with the recognition of moving liquids given frames obtained
via a robots camera.

I believe that most of the commonsense theories about the physical world
are very interesting and belong in the domain of "philosophical inquiry."
This is in no way meant as a slur -- philosophical inquiry has always
been at the heart of knowledge and learning. I don't believe, on the
other hand, that these theories have serious scientific merit since there
is little or no attempt at validation. Thus, I am concerned when I
hear "claims" of individuals having developed some new "qualitative
calculus." Qualitative calculi can be obtained using lumped system
concepts found in the systems and simulation area. Furthermore, the
a qualitative model must have some clear advantage if it is to be
proposed --- for instance a qualitative model derived through
a homomorphic mapping which preserves behavior. A decrease in
complexity is a good yardstick for measuring whether or not a
qualitative model is useful. I am not sure how one would measure
"epistemological adequacy." If someone can tell me precisely how to
measure it then perhaps this criterion is a good one also.

If a researcher can "study how a human would solve a problem" and derive
an algorithm that is an improvement over standard methods then I think
that this is great and reflects well on AI in general. An expert rule
in MYCIN, for example, is important because it expresses knowledge
otherwise unencoded (usually in a domain such as medicine where
insufficient quantitative information is known). In physics or
engineering; however, I remain unconvinced that commonsense theories
have anything to offer yet. I often hear about "how easy it is is
for humans to reason about basic actions." I find the premise "easy"
to be most likely false. We don't know how we reason and we don't know
how our eyes and brain can simultaneously perform simple calculations.
The scientific approach would seem to be to concentrate on the
computer vision problem first and only then build algorithms that
"solve the problem" of spilt water.

In summary, I would like to see someone take a problem like "detecting
spilt water (or its trajectory)" from a more microcosmic viewpoint.
Break the problem down into many subproblems each of which can be
validated. Building a commonsense calculus or theory simply makes one wonder
"What criteria can we use to test Theory ABC against Theory XYZ?"
Let's crawl first, then walk. I like your idea of having a contest.
Perhaps, through such a mechanism, we can get a better idea of the
various subproblems that need to be addressed to answer questions
that *appear* simple such as "How do I reason about water falling
from the lectern?"

-paul

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |