[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V5 N4

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (09/23/88)

Volume: 5, Issue: 4, Fri Sep 23 09:22:15 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Neural Net Simulations for HVAC?
(2) Network Simulation on the MAC?
(3) Qualitative Dynamics and QP Theory
(4) Re: State and Change

Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu

To: comp-simulation@rutgers.edu
From: englandr@phoenix.princeton.edu (Scott Englander)
Newsgroups: comp.ai.neural-nets,comp.ai,comp.simulation
Subject: Neural nets for energy management
Date: 21 Sep 88 16:20:32 GMT

Does anyone know of work being done on a neural net-based energy
management system for controlling heating, ventilating and air
conditioning (HVAC) systems in buildings?
--

                                               - Scott

------------------------------

To: uw-beaver!comp-simulation@beaver.cs.washington.edu
From: uw-nsr!haynor@beaver.cs.washington.edu (David Haynor)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation,comp.sys.mac
Subject: Looking for Mac queuing simulation package.
Date: 21 Sep 88 15:31:23 GMT

Is anyone aware of/does anyone have any software that enables the Mac
to do a queue-oriented simulation of a network  (ie multiple nodes,
with a server at each node)?  Please reply by mail; if there's
sufficient interest, I'll post a brief summary.

David Haynor                         Internet: haynor@nsr.bioeng.washington.edu
University of Washington RC-05           UUCP: uw-nsr!haynor
Seattle, Washington  98195               Dial: (206) 548-6294

------------------------------

To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Time and State: QP theory, and Nonlinear Dynamical Systems
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 88 15:10:37 EDT
From: aboulang@WILMA.BBN.COM
Sender: aboulang@WILMA.BBN.COM

There are people, including myself who are interested in the
relationship between QP theories and the program of qualitative
dynamics started by Poincare. Elisha Sacks at Princton got started
with Kuiper's QSIM then got into dynamical systems. He has done some
recent work in studying QP theory in the light of dynamical systems.
Gerry Sussman is also interested in this question. There is also the
question of the relationship of a branch of mathematics called
variational inequalities and QP theory.

Some of the discreteness in the world that is capitalized by symbolic
theories of process (including cognitive process) is due to the
emergent properties of non-linear dynamical systems.

Albert Boulanger
aboulanger@bbn.com
BBN Systems & Technologies Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 Sep 88 14:51:04 EDT
From: Lindsay Patten <lindsay@watnext.waterloo.edu>
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: SIMULATION DIGEST V5 N3
Newsgroups: comp.simulation

>(3) State and Change...continued

I would like to add some input from the area of expertise of
our lab, namely robotic vision.  The point I think Paul is
missing is stated in John's first posting

>>No-one can acquire the initial conditions or integrate the
>>equations sufficiently rapidly.

It is quite feasible for a computer vision system to recognize
the existance and location of a glass and even that it contains
water.  It is probably feasible to detect that the glass is
tipping over and in what general direction.  Given the limitations
of tv cameras alone I am quite sure that it would be impossible
to acquire proper initial conditions so as to allow application of
the NS equations.

It is possible that using sufficiently advanced technology one
might be able to acquire images at a sufficient rate and with
sufficient information content to allow the initial conditions
to be derived.  I am dubious that that information could be
derived using computational methods using anything resembling
current technology in the relevant time.

Whether or not common sense methods could make use of the available
information (location and approximate velocity) to allow the
robot to react in some useful manner therefore seems to me to
be a valid question.
--
Lindsay Patten            "People are package deals - No substitutions allowed"
Pattern Analysis & Machine Intelligence Group                   lindsay@watnext

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |