[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V5 N6

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (10/03/88)

Volume: 5, Issue: 6, Mon Oct  3 11:37:43 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Call for Papers: Summer Computer Simulation Conf.
(2) A Selection of PhD Programs in Simulation
(3) Prelim. Program: Asilomar Conference
(4) Request for Network Simulator Info.
(5) Knowledge-Based Simulation Languages

Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu

Date: Wed, 28 Sep 88  09:53:19 CDT
From: Kevin Lehnert <lehnert@valhalla.csc.ti.com>
To: ai-sim@valhalla.csc.ti.com
Subject: Call for Papers

Dear Colleagues:

   As fellow attendees of the AI and Simulation Workshop last
August in St.  Paul, the following call for papers may interest
you.  I will be helping chair the group on knowledge-based
simulation.  If you would like to submit an abstract for this
conference, author notification will be in mid-January and
manuscripts of accepted papers will be due in mid-March.  This
gives you plenty of time to flesh out submitted abstracts.  There
will be three sessions, one on KB Sim technologies, KB Sim theory,
and KB Sim applications and case studies.  If you would be so kind
as to forward this call to interested parties in your facility, I
would be very grateful.  If you have any other questions, please
feel free to contact me.  Thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Kevin Lehnert
 lehnert@valhalla.csc.ti.com
Artificial Intelligence Applications
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc
Dallas, Texas
 214-995-0774

		Call For Papers

       Summer Computer Simulation Conference
		Austin, Texas
	      July 24-27, 1989

The 1989 Summer Computer Simulation Conference to be held in
Austin, Texas, July 24-27 is looking for abstracts in the area of
Knowledge Based Systems and Simulation.  Topics we are looking
for include the areas of:

	o Knowledge Based Simulation Theory
	o Intelligent Simulation Systems
        o Knowledge Based Simulation Tools
        o Knowledge Based Systems using Simulation
	o Knowledge Representation for Simulation
	o Intelligent Simulation Control Architectures
	o Applications of Simulation Techniques to Knowledge
	  Based Systems
	o Interactions Between Conventional Simulations and
	  Knowledge Based Systems

Please send your one page abstract to:

     Society for Computer Simulation
     P.O. Box 17900
     4838 Ronson Court, Suite 'L'
     San Diego, CA 92117-7900
     ATTN: Group XIII.

Please include your name, organization, address and netaddress
(if available).  Deadline for abstracts is November 1, 1988.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 29 Sep 88 13:08:56 IDT
To: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU
From: ORNA%ISRAEARN.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Comment: CROSSNET mail via SMTP@CUNYVM
Subject: PhD programs in Simulation

Universities with people in Simulations:

U of Texas at Austin (Chnady and Misra)
UCLA (David Jefferson)
U of Calgary (Alberta Canada) (Brian Unger, John Cleary)
U of Waterloo (Wong)
U of Utah (Ricahrd Fujimoto)
U of Wisconsin at Madison (Miron Livny)

Those are the places that occur to me at first thought as offering PhD
programs with faculty who perform reserach is simulation.
I am sure that at MIT CSL people are doing simulation but I do not know of
a given individual interested in simulation for research

There are also European Institutions, if you are interested - let me know.

Orna

------------------------------

          Thu, 29 Sep 88 21:50:18 PDT
Date:     Thu, 29 Sep 88 21:50:15 PDT
From: "Professor Ralph C. Huntsinger" <DRRALPH%CALSTATE.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
To: simulation%ufl.edu@RELAY.CS.NET

           --- PRELIMINARY PROGRAM ---

           -- Western Simulation Council --
     The Society for Computer Simulation International

           -- Asilomar Conference --
      (at Asilomar State Beach on the Monterey Pennisula)
         Pacific Grove, California

         9:00am - 5:00pm Thursday and Friday, October 13 and 14, 1988
      Registration  3:00pm - 5:30pm Wednesday October 12
      Dinner for Registrants: 6:00pm Wednesday October 12

    Simulation Hardware and Software presentations by Developers,
    Manufacturers and Users will be provided in an informal
    discussion-oriented format reminiscent of the Councils
    past "Scottsdale" conferences.

         General Conference Chairman
         Mr. Edward (Ted) Lambert
         (805)373-2622 or (805)482-5610

         Program Chairman
         Professor Ralph C. Huntsinger
         California State University, Chico
        (916)895-6442 or (916)895-5740

     PLENARY PRESENTATION ON TRENDS IN ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
             AND NEURAL NETWORKS

             Dr. George Bekey
             Professor of Computer Science
             Professor of Electrical Engineering
             University of Southern California

    SIMULATION HARDWARE

    Session Organizer: Dr. Walter Karplus
                       Professor of Computer Science
                       University of California at Los Angeles

    Hardware Session presenters:

    (1) J. Paul Landauer
        Electronic Associates, Inc.
        West Long Branch, N.J.

    (2) Dr. William Kushner
        Intel Scientific Computers
        Beaverton, Oregon

    (3) Richard C. Borgioli
        CSP, Inc.
        Newbury Park, California

    (4) Charles Moores
        Applied Dynamics International
        Ann Arbor, Michigan

    (5) Dr.Martin Schrage
        Xanalog Corporation
        Woburn, Mass.

    (6) David Fram
        BBN, Inc.
        San Francisco, California

    (7) Robert Woolbert
        Encore Computers
        Newport Beach, California

     SIMULATION SOFTWARE

     Session Organizer: Dr. Ragnar Nilsen
                        Simulation Services, Inc.

     Software Session Presentations:

     (1) CACI Simscript II.5 and Graphics
         Professor Keevom Kang
         U.S.Naval Postgraduate University
         Monterey, California

     (2) Current Enhancements to CSSL-IV
         Dr. R. Nilsen
         Simulation Services, Inc.

     (3) Submodels in Continuous Systems Simulation Languages
         The MUSS (ModUlar Simulation System) simulation
            software package
         Dr. Antoni Guasch
         Institute of Cybernetics
         Polytechnic University of Catalonia
         Barcelona, Spain

     (4) The (CAMP) Computer Aided Modeling Program for
         High Level, Interactive Bond Graph Modeling and Analysis
         Dr. Jose J. Granda
         Professor of Mechanical Engineering
         California State University, Sacramento

    (5) An Overview of Matrix X
        Eric Cigan
        Integrated Systems Inc.
        Santa Clara, California

         SIMULATION APPLICATIONS

         Session Organizer: Dr. Roy E. Crosbie
                          Professor of Computer Engineering
                          California State University, Chico

         Applications Session Presentations:

     (1) Simulation Software for Engineering Applications
         Edward Rabin
         The Bechtel Corporation
         San Francisco, California

     (2) DSL/VS (Dynamic Simulation Language) Applications
         in Control Systems Design
         Martin Dost
         IBM Corporation
         General Products Division
         San Jose, California

     (3) Engineering Applications using the
         ADSIM simulation language
         Dr. Larry Michaels
         Applied Dynamics International
         Princeton, N.J.

      PANEL DISCUSSION

    "What's Ahead in Simulation"
     Organized by SCS International

      Panel Moderator: Dr. James May
                Vice Provost and Dean of Information Resources
                Professor of Computer Science
                California State University, Chico

      TUTORIAL SESSION

       Expert Systems, A Tutorial Introduction with a discussion
       on their use in Intelligent Simulation Environments.
         Dr. Ralph C. Huntsinger

To: comp-simulation@rutgers.edu
From: Roland Stolfa <rjs@a.cs.okstate.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.dcom.lans,comp.os.research,comp.simulation,comp.sources.wanted,sci.electronics
Subject: Network Simulator Info. Req.
Date: 2 Oct 88 20:14:16 GMT
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

Hello,

I am looking for any and all references to the following areas.  Please e-mail
the responses to me directly, I _WILL_ post a summary in two (2) weeks.

	1.	Network simultors (comercial or PD).
	2.	Line noise simulation (serial, broadband, ANYTHING)
	3.	Using simulators in the classroom.

Thanks in advance

Roland J. Stolfa
Department of Computing and Information Sciences
Oklahoma State University

UUCP:  {cbosgd, ea, ihnp4, isucs1, mcvax, pesnta, uokvax}!okstate!rjs

Internet:       rjs@a.cs.okstate.edu

Disclaimer:	You have lost your MIND if you think ANYBODY speaks for
		this place!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Oct 88 11:28:15 EDT
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu

[[editor's note: this article was posted in comp.ai -paf]]

>From uflorida!ukma!tut.cis.ohio-state.edu!cs.utexas.edu!sm.unisys.com!randvax!leverich Mon Oct  3 11:19:29 EDT 1988
Article 1768 of comp.ai:
Newsgroups: comp.ai
Subject: Re: Grand Challenges:  Expert System Shells replace COBOL
Date: 2 Oct 88 16:58:31 GMT

In article <1680@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> gilbert@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Gilbert
Cockton) writes:

>I vote ES shells the achievement of the decade for:
>
>	   avoiding CS snobbery and turning out restricted natural
>	   language end-user programming languages which the untrained
>	   user will pick up and write applications in.  Shells may be
>	   the first step in bringing some form of programming to the
>	   masses (but remember that adventure games got there first
>	   with restricted natural language).

Yup.  Now I have a nomination for the nth (probably not second or third,
but up there...) most significant _real_ contribution of AI, again in the
vein of providing new programming tools: knowledge-based simulation
languages.

Large simulations have traditionally been exceedingly costly to design,
debug, and extend, largely because the Fortran or even Simscript code
of the models isn't the least bit isomorphic with the physical system being
modeled.  Modeling trucks moving brainlessly around on a road network was
hard; modeling a multi-mode transportation system where management was
using heuristics to pursue cost-minimization and other goals was essentially
impossible.

Enters the object-oriented message-passing paradigm.  All of the sudden
individual trucks become "trucks" in the model (rather than rows in a
matrix), managers become "managers", and "managers" and "trucks" interact
by exchanging English-like messages rather than by changing entries in
some arbitrary set of matrices.  Design, debug, and extension is much
easier.  No hype - I've used ROSS (RAND's KBSim tool) to build some 4000+
lines of code simulations.

A good bet is that this object-oriented message-passing stuff is going to
have a considerable impact upon the simulation community.
--
  "Simulate it in ROSS"
  Brian Leverich                       | U.S. Snail: 1700 Main St.

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |