[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V5 N8

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (10/08/88)

Volume: 5, Issue: 8, Fri Oct  7 15:27:59 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Simulation at the Georgia Institute of Technology
(2) Rochester Connectionist Simulator Info.

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'anonymous', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.

Date: Tue, 4 Oct 88 20:08:43 EDT
From: T. Govindaraj <gt-cmmsr!tg@gatech.edu>
Posted-Date: Tue, 4 Oct 88 20:08:43 EDT
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Ph.D. programs in simulation
Cc: mitchell@gatech.edu

At Georgia Tech, in the School of Industrial and Systems Engineering
we have a number of people involved in simulation. Since we have the
biggest industrial engineering program in the country, we have a number
of people doing research in traditional aspects of simulation as well
as simulations in real time (or pseudo-real time if you want to be
strict about it, :-) ).  The "traditional" aspects of simulation deal
mostly with discrete event systems. A number of my colleagues are
interested in studying the statistical aspects of the simulation as
well. Others are concerned with more theoretical, stochastic
processes.

My colleague Chris Mitchell and I develop simulations in real-time
for both discrete and continuous dynamic systems as well as systems
that have both characteristics in our research to develop
intelligent decision aids, intelligent tutors, effective
human-machine interfaces etc. Currently we have three major
simulations: a flexible manufacturing system, satellite command and
control (ground control) system, and an oil-fired steam powerplant.
The primary languages that we use are C, Lisp, and Smalltalk 80,
running on a VAX 11/780, Sun 3/60's, and Mac II's (and soon NeXT
machines). Our research is supported primarily by NASA (Ames and
Goddard) and ONR.

I can provide more information to anyone who is interested.

govind
(T. Govindaraj)

Center for Human-Machine Systems Research
School of Industrial and Systems Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology
Atlanta, Georgia 30332-0205

UUCP:	tg@gt-cmmsr.UUCP	(404) 894 3873, 894 2300
        ...!{allegra,hplabs,ulysses}!gatech!gt-cmmsr!tg
INTERNET:	tg@gt-cmmsr.gatech.edu  or tg@gatech.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Oct 88 15:03:36 EDT
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu

[[forwarded from neural net digest -paf]]

Subject: Rochester Connection Simulator information
Date:    Tue, 27 Sep 88 09:57:20 -0400

The Rochester Connectionist Simulator is being made available by the
University of Rochester for research purposes.  No commercial use
is allowed without the explicit written permission of the University
of Rochester.

Please send bug reports to
	<simulator-bugs@cs.rochester.edu>
We are interested in fixing bugs, but can't make any promises!
Please make your bug reports as specific as possible.

If you are unable to obtain anonymous FTP access to the simulator
distribution, you can still order a copy the old way.  Contact
	Rose Peet
	Computer Science Department
	University of Rochester
	Rochester, NY  14627
	(USA)
or <connect@cs.rochester.edu>, and she will send you the approriate forms.
We are currently charging $150 for a distribution tape and a manual.

If you have TeX and a PostScript printer, you should be able to produce
your own copy of the 181-page manual.  If you want a paper copy of the
manual anyway, send a check for $10 per manual (payable to the
University of Rochester) to Rose Peet at the above address.

We do not have the facilities for generating invoices, so payment is
required with any order.

This directory (public/rcs on CS.Rochester.EDU) contains release 4.1 of
the Rochester Connectionist Simulator.  Version 4.1 was released on
April 5, 1988, and can be found in the file "rcs_v4.1.tar.Z".  It is a
compressed tar file, size 837215 bytes.  When uncompressed, it should
be size 3092480 bytes, and running the Unix "sum" program on it should
yield "62514 3020".

REMEMBER TO USE THE "TYPE TENEX" or "TYPE BINARY" COMMAND IN FTP WHEN
RETRIEVING COMPRESSED TAR FILES!!!

Official bug reports also reside in this directory:

	rcs_v4.1.patch.01	fixes a SERIOUS problem in the logging feature.
	rcs_v4.1.patch.02	fixes some minor syntactic problems in the doc.
	rcs_v4.1.patch.03	a missing "return" makes commands noops on SUN4

The patches can be applied by hand if necessary, but you will make your
life easier if you obtain the widely-available "patch" program, and redirect
each patch file into "patch -p".

Other files of interest:

	rcs_v4.1.note.01	the doc's missing "urcsmanual" TeX files.

	rcs_v4.1.doc.tar.Z	the manual, in postscript format, ready to print

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |