[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V6 N2

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (10/26/88)

Volume: 6, Issue: 2, Tue Oct 25 19:11:37 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) ACM Transactions/Regular Officer Elections
(2) QUERY: INSITE Software Availability
(3) Administrative: Digest Shipment Frequency...

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'anonymous', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 88 10:44:09 PDT
From: pom%and.s1.gov@mordor.s1.gov
To: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: SIMULATION DIGEST V6 N1
Newsgroups: comp.simulation

>SPECIAL TOPIC:  ACM Transactions on Simulation

	I support the ACM transaction idea . I give my reason below but  first a
	fragment of past discussion:
>to disagree for a couple of reasons. First, like it or not, there still is the
>notion that SCS is the society for continuous simulation. More about that
>below. Also, SCS is probably not large enough an organization to pull it off.
>
>>Also, I think it a myth that SCS is continuous-oriented.
>>There is a historical basis for this criticism, I agree, but
>
>>SCS is currently reviewing the style, content and level of its
>>publications. Discrete event simulation will certainly figure
>>strongly in the new equation.
>
>Finally, I concur with your comment on quality. I have strong concerns about
>quality in SCS publications. That is probably a different issue, but I'm going

	I am afraid that there is a basic and fundamental reason for SCS
	lagging behind times and for  low quality of its publications. It is not
	just DE vs CS simulation; In the past it was Analog vs Digital
	simulation. The basic reasons seems to be the SCS charter, which
	does not  call for regular elections of officers in a way usual for professional
	societies. Unless SCS will amend its by-laws to facilitate fresh thought
        import, it is likely to keep lagging and reviewing the style, and lagging..
		pom ==  pom@under.s1.gov ,  LLNL , SF bay area

------------------------------

Via:        UK.AC.SWAN.PYR
From: Farzin Deravi <eederavi%PYR.SWAN.AC.UK@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date:       Tue, 25 Oct 88 10:06:22-0000
To: simulation@UFLORIDA.CIS.UFL.EDU

How can I obtain a copy of the
INSITE software for the investigation of nonlinear dynamic systems??
This software toolkit was reported in the Proc. of IEEE Aug. 87 in a paper
by T. S. Parker and L. O. Chua. I was wondering if you can help me find its
source. If it is public domain may be someone can post it to the net.

Also could someone post the email address for the nonlinear systems group
of Prof. Chua in UC Berkeley.

Many thanks.

                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Farzin Deravi,              | UUCP  : ...!ukc!pyr.swan.ac.uk!eederavi|
Image Processing Laboratory,     | JANET : eederavi@uk.ac.swan.pyr      |
Electrical Engineering Dept.,    | voice : +44 792 295583                 |
University of Wales,          | Fax     : +44 792 295532                 |
Swansea, SA2 8PP, U.K.         | Telex : 48358                          |
                     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 88 19:07:05 EDT
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: digest shipment policy

Dear readers:
 You will notice that sometimes I will ship a digest *frequently* in
certain instances - an example concerns the discussion on the ACM
Transactions. Usually, I will wait until at least 3 - 5 topics
come down the pipeline prior to issuing the digest. This helps to
reduce huge numbers of small mailings (one good reason for "the digest"
format--as opposed to the free flowing format of unmoderated USENET
news groups). However, with "hot topics" or dated material (such as
a call for papers that are due in 1 week!), I will often elect to
"keep things active" using fast turnaround. I hope that this policy
is not offensive to those of you who may not be interested in the
so called "hot topic." As usual, please feel free to write if you
find problems with this policy.

-paul f.

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |