[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V6 N3

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (10/27/88)

Volume: 6, Issue: 3, Thu Oct 27 10:35:40 EDT 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Network Simulation
(2) Continuous Simulation on Transputers
(3) Looking for ISP and BLISS Compiler
(4) "Computer Simulation of Dynamic Systems" - new book
(5) Simulation for Open-Ended Chains?

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'anonymous', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.

To: comp-simulation@rutgers.edu
From: Roland Stolfa <rjs@a.cs.okstate.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Network Simulation
Date: 25 Oct 88 23:05:50 GMT
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

Hello,

I am looking for any and all references to the following areas.  Please e-mail
the responses to me directly, I _WILL_ post a summary in two (2) weeks.

	1.	Software network simultors (comercial or PD).
	2.	Software line noise simulation (serial, broadband, ANYTHING)
	3.	Using simulators in the classroom.

Thanks in advance

Roland J. Stolfa
Department of Computing and Information Sciences
Oklahoma State University

UUCP:  {cbosgd, ea, ihnp4, isucs1, mcvax, pesnta, uokvax}!okstate!rjs

Internet:       rjs@a.cs.okstate.edu

Disclaimer:	You have lost your MIND if you think ANYBODY speaks for
		this place!

------------------------------

 26 Oct 88 05:40:52 EDT
 id 2476; Wed, 26 Oct 88 05:40:47 EDT
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 88 10:36 N
From: Patrick Van Renterghem / Transputer Lab
 <PVR%BGERUG51.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Subject: Continuous simulation on transputers ???

I am currently doing some work on multitransputer-based simulation. These are
distributed architectures, based on the Inmos transputer, a fascinating chip
with a stunning performance. I am implementing continuous simulation languages
(e.g. CSMP) on a network of transputers (commercial systems of Inmos and
Parsytec, home-built 4 x 4 T800-20 array without external memory and our
Computing Tower.

I would appreciate some help on two different aspects of my work:

- I would like to do some performance evaluation and simulation of a distr.
transputer network, running a block-structured simulation language. I have
to take lots of different things into account, such as the duration of each
block, the interprocessor communication, ... The task allocation algorithm
that I am using supports a lot of these aspects, but not all. I would like
to see the effect of different algorithms by simulating the simulation task.
I am also interested in performance evaluation methods for distributed
systems, with certain communication and computation parameters.

- The continuous systems simulation language that I am using is a block
structured one, not the thing that most people use nowadays, but it has
certain advantages over algebraic languages for detecting parallelism, ...
How do you feel about this? Is anyone using this approach on distributed
machines or have you developed another technique ?

Thanks in advance,

Patrick Van Renterghem,
State University of Ghent,
Belgium

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@rutgers.edu
From: Wayne Beech <beech@engr.uky.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.arch,comp.lang.c,comp.simulation,misc.wanted
Subject: ISP wanted
Date: 26 Oct 88 17:49:57 GMT
Source-Info:  From (or Sender) name not authenticated.

Hello,

I am trying to locate two programs.  The first program is ISP which is an
Instruction Set Processor not to be confused with the statistical package
of the same name marketed by Berkeley.  I would like to find a copy of this
written in C so that it can be run under VM/CMS, UNIX, and PRIMOS.  The second
program that im trying to locate is a BLISS compiler, again not to be
confused with the BLSS statistical package marketed by Berkeley.  the BLISS
im looking for is a programming language.  any leads on either of these
programs would be apprecriated.  thank you.

UUCP  : {cbosgd | uunet}!ukma!ukecc!beech
BITNET: beech%ukecc.uucp@ukma
DOMAIN: beech@engr.uky.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Oct 88 11:18 EDT
From: ABURDENE%BKNLVMS.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: New Book On Simulation
To: simulation@ufl.EDU

New book on Simulation.

"Computer Simulation Of Dynamic Systems", Maurice F. Aburdene, Wm. C. Brown,
Dubuque, Iowa, 1988.

Table of Contents:
Introduction to Simulation, Simulation Examples, System Description,
Basic Concepts of Probability Theory, The Monte Carlo Method and Simulation,
Discrete-Event Simulation, Discrete Systems and Markov Processes, System
Dynamics and Integration, Continuous-System Simulation Languages, Parameter
Estimation, Parameter Optimization, Computer Simulation Methodology, and
Verification and Validation.

------------------------------

Date: 	Wed, 26 Oct 88 13:43:49 EDT
From: Michiel van de Panne <van@eecg.toronto.edu>
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Dynamics simulator of linked bodies wanted

I'm looking for dynamics simulation software for bodies made of open-ended
chains of links. I'm asking for this with regard to building an adaptive
controller for (human or other) figure animation on top of it. Any responses
which spare me from reinventing the wheel, or even a couple of spokes of the
wheel would be greatly appreciated. If I get sufficient response, I'll post
to the net.

Michiel van de Panne
University of Toronto
Electrical Engineering Computer Group