[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V6 N5

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (11/03/88)

Volume: 6, Issue: 5, Wed Nov  2 13:00:30 EST 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Packages for Transonic Flow?
(2) PC Based Simulation Packages?
(3) Simulation of Railway Operations?
(4) John Conway Lecture at JVNC
(5) Aloha Simulator Wanted

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'anonymous', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.

           id aa09117; 31 Oct 88 12:14 GMT
From: mcvax!cs.aber.ac.uk!cho@uunet.UU.NET
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 88 12:15:10 GMT
To: simulation <uunet.uu.net!uflorida.cis.ufl.edu!simulation@ukc.ac.uk>
Cc: CI1AMW@ibm.sheffield.ac.uk
Subject: Packages for transonic flow ?

This forwarded for a colleague...

The problem under consideration is as follows:-
  A disc is travelling through the air at low supersonic speeds, with
Mach number 2 or less. It is following the general motion of a freely
rotating symmetric body:-
   It is rotating rapidly about its principal axis and this axis is
simultaneously precessing rapidly around the (constant) angular
momentum vector.
   In general, neither the overall spin vector nor the axis of the disc
will be in the same direction as the angular momentum vector. Additionally
the direction of travel of the disc will be in a similar, but not in general
identical, direction to the angular momentum vector.

   The overall effect is of a spinning disc, flying at low supersonic speeds ,
at a high angle of attack (therefore placing the problem squarely in the
transonic region). The angle of attack cycles rapidly with time as the disc
precesses.

   I would be grateful for any pointers, references etc. to analytic and
numerical techniques which may be applicable, and to suitable numerical
packages available for the solution of transonic problems in general.

Dr. A. M. Woodward,
Civil Engineering Dept.,
University of Sheffield,
England.		email: (JANET) CI1AMW@UK.AC.SHEFFIELD.IBM

Chris Orgill,				tel +44 970 623111 x3227
AI & Robotics Research Group,		email cho%cs.aber.ac.uk@uunet.uu.net (ARPA)
Computer Science Department,		      cho@uk.ac.aber.cs (JANET)
University College of Wales,
Aberystwyth,
Dyfed, United Kingdom. SY23 3BZ.

------------------------------

	Mon, 31 Oct 88 15:46:17 PST id AA05857 for
To: comp-simulation@ucsd.edu
From: sdsu!fedeva!jbr0871@ucsd.edu (Blaine Robertson)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: PC Based Simulation Packages
Date: 31 Oct 88 21:32:03 GMT

Does anybody have any experience with PC-based simulation packages?
Modern Materials Handling (September 87) had an article listing about 25
PC-based packages.  I realise that simulation on the PC will be dreadfully
slow, but hope to gain enough knowledge from one of these products before
making a bigger investment.  The only package that I have had exposure to
is AutoMod from ASI.  Any feedback will be appreciated.

Blaine Robertson
Federal Express
gatech!emcard!fedeva!jbr0871

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 01 Nov 88 07:57:24 EST
From: Jim Buchanan <ACAD8005%RYERSON.BITNET@CORNELLC.ccs.cornell.edu>
Subject:      Simulation of Railway operations
To: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu

I would like to contact anyone with experience in the  simulation of
railway operations in general and railway track maintenance in
particular. If there is enough interest I will summarize to the list.
thanks in advance

Jim Buchanan
Ryerson Polytechnical Institute
Toronto, Ontario

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 01 Nov 88 10:41:39 EST
From: David Salzman <SALZMAN@pucc.princeton.edu>
Subject:      John Conway lecture at JvNC, Nov. 7
To: comp-simulation@rutgers.edu

         The John von Neumann National Supercomputer Center
  665 College Road East, Princeton Forrestal Center, Plainsboro NJ

        "Ambition, Distraction, Uglification and Derision"

                            John Conway
                       Princeton University
                   5:00 PM, Monday, November 7

There are simple rules for mathematical forms that lead quickly to
wondrous and bizarre properties.  Lexicographic codes exhibit
particularly strange arithmetic, which will be explored in depth.
The speaker promises to end the talk by citing the day of the week
for any given birthdate.

John Conway has always been fascinated by mathematical games, and
his Game of Life is among the most widely known cellular automata
systems.  He earned his degrees and taught for many years at Caius
College, Cambridge University, before coming to this country.
Conway knows Pi to 2000 places.

The seminar is open to the public.  Refreshments will be served
at 4:30 pm.  For information about the seminar or directions to
the Center, or if you are on the Princeton University campus and
need a ride, contact <SCIENCE@JVNC.BITNET> or call 609/520-2000.

    Lectures are free and open to the public.  Refreshments will be
served at 3:40 pm and the talk will begin at 4:00 pm.  For further
information, contact David Salzman at (609)520-2000.

------------------------------

From: jxh%cup.portal.com%portal%claris%ames.uucp@mailrus.cc.umich.edu
To: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Aloha Simulator (wanted)
Date: Tue,  1-Nov-88 17:58:16 PST

We are trying to understand the effects of varying certain parameters in
a shared-channel data transmission system that (uses/will use) Aloha,
Slotted Aloha, Reservation Aloha, and/or FTDMA.  I have been asked to post
a request for information about simulators that might aid us in this task.

Would one use a general-purpose simulation system to accomplish this, or
are we looking for a specific program?  It would be convenient if it (whatever
*it* is) ran on a PC under DOS 3.xx (or, even better, under OS/2), but that
is not absolutely necessary: we will take the mountain to Mohammed under
the right conditions.

Am I way out in left field, here?  Is there another group where I ought to post
this?  (For that matter, could someone else stuff this into
rec.ham-radio.packet for me?  Portal makes this unnecessarily difficult.)
Please email responses, and I will summarize.  Thanks for educating me.

-Jim Hickstein
Principal Engineer
Datacomm Systems Group
VSAT Systems, Inc.