[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V6 N6

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (11/09/88)

Volume: 6, Issue: 6, Wed Nov  9 08:45:47 EST 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Formation of IEEE News Group
(2) INSITE Software Query
(3) Journal -- Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (IMACS)
(4) SIMULATION DIGEST Magazine

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'anonymous', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 88 22:51:05 EST
From: gatech!hou2d!krsm@bikini.cis.ufl.edu (Srinivasa K R Murthy +1 201 615 4629)
To: att!acad!well!tenney,
        att!allegra!sdcrdcf!oberon!ll-xn!harvard!CPSVAX.CPS.MSU.EDU!jaya,
        att!almvma!dmc, att!arpa!alpha.CES.CWRU.EDU!tang,
        att!arpa!cs.duke.edu!sdg, att!cs.ucla.arpa!rennels,
        att!hplabs!intelca!mipos3!mipos2!rajeevc, att!ibm.com!dmc,
        att!lll-crg.llnl.gov!anderson, att!note.nsf.gov!pfreeman,
        att!nsf!pfreeman, att!princeton!seimens!kra, att!sei.cmu.edu!barbacci,
        att!ufl.edu!fishwick, att!uiucuxc!uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu!gaur,
        att!utah-cs!cs.utexas.edu!gatech!astro.as.utexas.edu!bigtex!juniper!sooner!dewey,
        att!virginia.edu!ronw, att!vms1.engr.utk.edu!trivedi, att!yulane!bb,
        attmail!cheaney, homxb!shh, homxc!jtw1, homxc!kut, homxc!manu,
        homxc!mdm, homxc!mtc, homxc!pgrace, homxc!yja, hou2d!kna, hound!jouday,
        hounx!gbe, houxa!scymber, houxf!kwame, hoxna!ela, hoxna!rgap,
        ihlpl!att!att!cbnews!mark, ihuxv!ilango, mongo!fad, monto!taa,
        mtdcc!mmg, mtdcc!tjr, mtund!cbj, mtund!war, mtunf!rrd, mtung!mad,
        mtuxo!dam1, mtuxo!djd, mtuxo!jaime, ulysses!dsr, ulysses!srn

Friends,

I posted a proposal some time back to start a new
news group for ieee related activities and also to streamline
news group activities generaly related to electrical engineering,
electronics engineering and computer science topics. The
news group can also discuss about general engineering profession
related topics.

I have already got an overwhelming response from more than 150
people with YES votes and less than 10 NO votes (by e-mail).
I also got many phone calls supporting the creation of
the news group.

As some of you may have noticed, the IEEE Spectrum News Supplement
called "THE INSTITUTE" carried approximately half-page news
report on the news group. As a result, I received encouraging
phone calls from many IEEE members and enthusiasts. I received
positive responses from many leading IEEE officers including
Society Presidents, Board of Directors, and local and regional
officers. Thanks to all of you.

I was given to understand that some nodes did not receive the
posting. So, I am reposting for two purposes. Firstly, all readers
can see and respond (with votes) to the posting. Secondly,
any ideas and discussions on the usefulness of the group can
be posted. I ENCOURAGE ALL THOSE WHO VOTED LAST TIME TO SEND
THEIR VOTES AGAIN, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE STORED PREVIOUS
VOTES IN A FILE. REVOTING IS, HOWEVER, NOT NECESSARY.

 NAME OF THE GROUP
 ________________

To accommodate the new news group in the present newsnet hierarchy,
the ieee news group will be titled "comp.org.ieee"

As all of us know, IEEE (and in general, EE & CS related activities
have a scope much more broader than that of comp.org.xxxx groups)
has more than 30 societies. In due course, a first level
group ( similar to sci.xxxx ) may be started to accommodate all the
engineering related news groups, so that the IEEE news group can
find a permanent place there.

 PURPOSE AND SCOPE OF THE IEEE NEWS GROUP
 _______________________________________

The new newsgroup supports the interests of IEEE
enthusiasts. Planned subgroups include communications,
computers, aerospace, circuits, microwave, engineering
management and any other topic of interest to users of the
newsgroup (suggestions welcome).

The news group is open to people
interested in IEEE,

AND ALSO PEOPLE INTERESTED IN ACTIVITIES IN
ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING, ELECTRONICS ENGINEERING & COMPUTER SCIENCE
IN GENERAL

to help publicize meeting / talk announcements,
useful discussions, creative suggestions and any
cooperative projects (Example : seeking coauthors for papers; seeking
volunteers for technical committees)

General discussions of engineering and computer science professions
covering topics like pension, ethics, age discrimination, alien
engineers, unemployment, licensure and registration, women engineers,
U.S. technology policies, continuing education, salary/opinion surveys,
entrepreneurial activities, students' concerns are highly potential.

THE USERS OF THE NEWS GROUP NEED NOT BE IEEE MEMBERS.

This news group will be helpful to streamline the IEEE related
activities of all the USENET users.

Please contact me for more information.

K.R.S. Murthy
Room 1G-306
AT&T Bell Labs
480 Red Hill Road
Middletown
New Jersey
U.S.A. 07748

(201)-615-4629
..!att!hou2d!krsm

THE NEWS GROUP'S USEFULNESS AND CREATION OF SUBGROUPS DEPENDS
ON ALL YOU (ALL OF US).

Thanks

K.R.S. Murthy

------------------------------

 03 Nov 88 07:14:50 EST
 1454; Thu, 03 Nov 88 07:14:48 EST
 03 Nov 88 12:12:52 GMT
Via:        UK.AC.SWAN.PYR;  3 NOV 88 12:12:45 GMT
From: Farzin Deravi <eederavi%PYR.SWAN.AC.UK%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU>
Date:       Thu, 3 Nov 88 12:03:54 GMT
To: simulation@UFLORIDA.CIS.UFL.EDU

How can I obtain a copy of the
INSITE software for the investigation of nonlinear dynamic systems??
This software toolkit was reported in the Proc. of IEEE Aug. 87 in a paper
by T. S. Parker and L. O. Chua. I was wondering if you can help me find its
source. If it is public domain may be someone can post it to the net.

Also could someone post the email address for the nonlinear systems group
of Prof. Chua in UC Berkeley.

Many thanks.

                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Farzin Deravi,              | UUCP  : ...!ukc!pyr.swan.ac.uk!eederavi|
Image Processing Laboratory,     | JANET : eederavi@uk.ac.swan.pyr      |
Electrical Engineering Dept.,    | voice : +44 792 295583                 |
University of Wales,          | Fax     : +44 792 295532                 |
Swansea, SA2 8PP, U.K.         | Telex : 48358                          |
                     - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 5 Nov 88 16:39:13 EST
From: vichneve@aramis.rutgers.edu (Robert Vichnevetsky)
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: SIMULATION DIGEST V6 N5

About the proposed ACM Transactions on Simulation and the many
comments that have followed:
The Journal MATHEMATICS AND COMPUTERS IN SIMULATION
		(Transactions of IMACS)
              published by North Holland
is in its 30th year of existence and publishes archival material on a
wide cross section of topics related to Simulation, Modelling and
Applied Mathematics (including Discrete Simulation).

It is read all over the World, and contains a Calendar of Events which
lists  International Conferences and Seminars .

Sample copies and other relevant information may be obtained by
contacting either North Holland , or :

IMACS Secretariat
Dept. of Computer Science
Rutgers University
New Brunswick, NJ 08903  USA

(E mail : KHAHN@aramis.rutgers.edu)

who will transmit.

------------------------------

Date:          Tue, 8 Nov 88 15:41 EDT
From: <ASELMA01%ULKYVX.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU> (Adel S. Elmaghraby)
Subject:       Re: SIMULATION DIGEST V5 N10
To: SIMULATION@UFLORIDA.CIS.UFL.EDU

   I have one more view on the bouncing idea of a new Transactions...

  SCS have provided the transaction without bias towards Continuos or
discrete. We have currently joined IEEE TC Modelling and ACM SIGSIM
Simuletter, and we are moving foreward as one group of "simulationists".
A transaction is a good idea but it's time has not yet come. The discussion
is healthy and will probably help refine details of our common needs.
I encourage all of you to contribute to the joint newsletter which
is also named "Simulation Digest". This will get us in a stronger position
to demonstrate the need if the quality and number of contributions, and
participation increases.
                                        Adel S. Elmaghraby
                                        Univ. of Louisville, KY

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |