[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V6 N7

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (11/22/88)

Volume: 6, Issue: 7, Mon Nov 21 15:10:18 EST 1988

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Random Number Generators
(2) NSF Workshop at Bucknell University
(3) TimeWarp Approach

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'anonymous', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.

To: comp-simulation@rutgers.edu
From: bier@speedy.cs.wisc.edu (George Bier)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: random number generators generate numbers without replacement
Date: 14 Nov 88 21:25:11 GMT
Sender: news@spool.cs.wisc.edu

This is something I am curious about and thought that someone who reads
this news group might know of an article that discussed the following
query.

I was reading last months Communications and there was a rather good article
on random number generators.  (I wish I had the issue here to give a better
reference such as the author).  Anyway the article makes the point that
the standard polynomial methods for generating psuedo-random numbers do
so without replacement (in retrospect this was an obvious point that I should
have realized ages ago, if we get the same number, then we have restarted the
cycle).  Now I am aware that there are various tests for measuring how
good a random number generator is (good defined here as how random), but it
occurs to me that the fact that numbers are drawn without replacement must
have some effect.

Now I agree that in practice, even without replacement, if we get the
number 0.89785421 once and then later get the value 0.89785422 (the last
digit changed from a 1 to a 2) the two values for most applications are
the same, and so we effectively get replacement.  However I am curious as
to whether anyone out there knows of a specific article or book that
discusses this issue?

thanks
--george

ARPA:   bier@cs.wisc.edu
UUCP:   ...!{harvard,seismo,topaz,akgua,allegra,usbvax}!uwvax!bier

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Nov 88 08:24 EST
From: ABURDENE%BKNLVMS.BITNET%CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU@CUNYVM.CUNY.EDU
Subject: NSF workshop @Bucknell University
To: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU

                Workshop On Integrated Engineering Workstations
                       for Science and Engineering Faculty

                               Bucknell University

       The purpose of this workshop is to  offer  undergraduate  faculty
       the  opportunity  to  learn  about  several  types  of Integrated
       Engineering  Workstations  (IEW's)  of  varying  complexity   and
       capabilities.  An   IEW  consists  of microcomputer interfaced to
       data  acquisition,  test,  and  control instrumentation.  Through
       experimental  hand-on  experiences  in  laboratory  sessions, the
       participants  will  also  develop  an   experiment   and   course
       materials  for  their  own  laboratory.   Two  similar  one  week
       sessions will be offered on:

                               July  9-14, 1989
                               July 16-21, 1989

       at
                             Bucknell University
                        Electrical Engineering Department
                            Lewisburg, Pa. 17837
                               717-524-1234

       Participant Support
       Bucknell  University.  There  are no registration fees or tuition
       expenses for this workshop. A stipend of $250  will  be  paid  to
       each  selected  participant.   Housing will be in air-conditioned
       residential areas on Bucknell's beautiful  campus  and  meals  in
       our  cafeteria  and  will  be  covered  by  the  National Science
       Foundation. The participants are  responsible  for  their  travel
       expenses and other incidental expenses.

       Participant Selection
       ---------------------

       The  selection  process  will  rely  heavily on the nomination by
       department heads or chairs of the participant's home  institution.
       The  workshop is intended for teachers of science and engineering
       in the US committed to undergraduate education who have  not  yet
       had extensive exposure to integrated engineering workstations.

       The  selected  participants  will develop an experiment and class
       material  for  implementation  at  their  institution.  We   will
       sustain   the   development   of  the  experiments  by  providing
       information through an electronic mail network.   We  use  Bitnet
       (Aburdene@BKNLVMS.Bitnet).

       The  selected  participants  are  required  to  submit  a project
       proposal outlining the work to  be  undertaken  after  the  short
       course.  We  will  be  pleased to help the participants formulate
       their proposals.

       Workshop Outline
       ------------------

       We will begin with  fundamental  computer  concepts,  proceed  to
       workstation  concepts, and conclude with applications. Ample time
       will  be  provided  to   planning   and   construction   of   the
       participants projects.

       Our  IEW's  include  personal computers with data acquisition and
       control instruments (mostly Hewlett-Packard  computers  and  HPIB
       instruments),  personal  computers with PC instruments, and a lab
       with an ethernet network of computers using IEEE-488  instruments
       for distributed data acquisition and control.

       Workshop Faculty
       ----------------

       Maurice F. Aburdene, Professor of Electrical Engineering and
           Computer Science
       Edward J. Mastascusa, Professor of Electrical Engineering
       William J. Snyder, Professor of Chemical Engineering
       Jeff Gum, Consultant

       Workshop Assistants
       ------------------

       Wade Hutchison, College Engineer
       Tom Thul, Technician
       Constance O. Snyder, Industrial Associates Program
       Daniel Shaffer, undergraduate Student

       Application Form
       ----------------

       The application form  may  be  returned  by  electronic  mail  or
       through US mail to

                       Aburdene@BKNLVMS.Bitnet

       Or

                         Maurice Aburdene
                    Electrical Engineering Department
                        Bucknell University
                        Lewisburg, PA 17837
                           717-524-1449

                         Application Form

          (Deadline for Applications May 31, 1989. Selected
           participants will be notified as applications arrive)

       Name of applicant:

       College or University:

       Mailing Address:

       Session 1 (July 9-14, 1989): or Session 2 (July 16-21,1989):

       Department Chair:

       Address of Department Chair and Applicant:

       Telephone Number:

       Electronic Mail Address (if available):

       Special Needs:

                       End of application form

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 21 Nov 88 15:07:49 EST
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu

[[forwarded from comp.parallel news group -paf]]

Newsgroups: comp.parallel
Subject: Re: fine-grained and/or multiway optimi
Date: 21 Nov 88 14:32:55 GMT
Sender: fpst@hubcap.UUCP

A good article about Virtual Time and Time Warp is:

Jefferson D,
"Virtual Time",
ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems,
July 1985.

When not working on my Msc, I work for Jade Simulations International.
We have developed a Time Warp system for networks of SUNs and
the BBN Butterfly.  Discrete event simulations written in Sim++,
a superset of C++, can be run on 1 to 128 processors without
sacrificing determinism.

If you are interested in Time Warp, see us at the SCS conference
in San Diego, December 12, 13, 14, 1988.

David Jevans, U of Calgary Computer Science, Calgary AB  T2N 1N4  Canada
uucp: ...{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!jevans
David Jevans, U of Calgary Computer Science, Calgary AB  T2N 1N4  Canada
uucp: ...{ubc-cs,utai,alberta}!calgary!jevans

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |