[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V7 N4

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (01/21/89)

Volume: 7, Issue: 4, Fri Jan 20 14:58:48 EST 1989

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Continuous Simulation on the MAC
(2) Monte Carlo Simulation for IBM PC
(3) New Policy on Job Announcements (long)

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'anonymous', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.

Date: Wed, 18 Jan 89 12:34:03 PST
From: jra@jupiter.risc.com
To: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Continuous Simulation on the MAC?

We are looking for continuous simulation packages that run on the Mac.  Our
applications are modeling of continuous manufacturing processes and fluid flows.
It is important for us to be able to interface with foreign functions that are
not coded in the simulation language and to be able to use the Mac type of user
interface.

If anyone knows about some packages, we would appreciate the information.
Please reply by email and if I receive some replies I will provide a summary.

Thanks

Jonathan Agre                                   Arpanet: jra@risc.com
Rockwell International Science Center           Phone: 805-373-4639
Thousand Oaks, CA 91360

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@rutgers.edu
From: jayrajan@cs.umn.edu (Vijay Rajan)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Monte Carlo for IBM PC
Date: 19 Jan 89 09:28:14 GMT

 I would appreciate any assistance in acquiring the names of any
companies who market software for Monte Carlo simulation on the
IBM PC. I think one package is called @Risk [reads: At Risk] but
I don't know who or where!

 Many thanks in advance for any clues. Hard facts eg. company
names and addresses, are appreciated even more.

     Malcolm Pradhan

 P.S. please reply to address and not my name. Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Jan 89 14:45:37 EST
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: Job Announcement Policy (long)

Dear Readers:
 I have posted a couple of articles that have been related to
new job opportunities relating to research or development in
simulation related activities. While I feel that, in general,
this is helpful to some readers --- most readers are concerned
with comp.simulation serving as a *technical* forum. I have
consulted with one of the founders of the USENET system (news
groups) for advice on the matter of publishing job opportunity
announcements. I was then informed a news group which caters
to people who 1) have offers to make for various jobs, or 2) are
looking for positions. I am including complete information on these
USENET groups (falling under the prefix 'misc.jobs') should readers
wish to take advantage of these groups for posting job announcements.
I hope this is not an inconvenience for anyone. Thanks for your
consideration.

-paul fishwick

Welcome!  This is the monthly introductory posting for misc.jobs.offered,
	  and misc.jobs.resumes.

What is misc.jobs.offered?

It is a news group for the posting of job offerings by individuals or
companies with positions to offer.  Job offers may be made by any company
with a job opening, or by a professional recruiting company which has
been hired to fill the opening.  Professional recruiters, however, should
be sensitive to the feelings of net users and adhere to the guidelines for
posting.

What isn't misc.jobs.offered?

It is not a discussion group or a group for posting resumes.  General
discussions concerning jobs should be held in misc.jobs.misc.  Resumes
should be posted in misc.jobs.resumes.  Your co-operation is greatly
appreciated.  If you feel you must followup an article posted here,
please edit the Followup-To: line to reflect the appropriate group.

Why have posting guidelines?

There are a number of discussions which frequently occur in this group.
These discussions frequently result in long and unproductive arguments.
These guidelines embody the concensus of opinion as to the proper form
for postings of job offers.

What are the guidelines?

All postings should be for actual positions.

	Any job which is offered or alluded to must actually exist,
	or will soon exist.  Companies are strongly discouraged from
	posting for positions which do not exist.  Resumes may be
	collected from misc.jobs.resumes if a source of resumes is
	desired.

The organization posting should be identified.

	The name of the company making the offer must be present in
	the header of the posting.  Professional recruiters are
	requested to place the word `RECRUITER' on the Keywords:
	line.  In many states, universities are restricted from
	handling commercial traffic.  This will enable universities
	to comply with the law.  This is especially true if there is
	a placement fee required of the person accepting the position.
	Other posters should use the Organization: line to indicate
	the name of the company making the offer.

No job offers should be cross posted.

	All job offers should be restricted to misc.jobs.offered.
	Discussions of job offers, and resumes requesting positions,
	should likewise be limited to the appropriate groups.  Again,
	judicious use of the Followup-To: is heartily encouraged.  If
	you feel you must cross-post, then redirecting followups to
	the most appropriate group is highly encouraged.

Job offerings should be verifiable.

	The name and phone number or address of the person responsible
	for the position should be given.  Further information should
	be available upon request.  The more information which you
	provide in your posting, the better the response will be.
	You should also consider providing an electronic mail address.

Location of the position should be provided.

	The location or locations of the job should clearly be stated
	in either the header or near the top of the article.  If the
	position is not of sufficient interest to the entire net, please
	use the Distribution: line to limit the distribution of the
	article to your local area.  Furthermore, you may wish to
	consider using local or intracompany newsgroups as a source of
	candidates.

How to Redirect Followups.

	From time to time it is necessary to remove a conversation from
	a particular newsgroup for one reason or another.  Two of the
	most common reasons are that discussions are not permitted in
	the newsgroup which the posting originated in and another is
	that the topic of discussion has strayed from the original
	sufficiently to warrant a change in newsgroups.

	Misc.jobs.offered and misc.jobs.resumes are for the posting of
	job offers and resumes only.  This means that all postings
	should include a Followup-To: line.  This can be done by adding
	the line

	to the article header.  The rn newsreader provides an empty
	space which you can use to put the appropriate groups in.
	Other newsreaders do not and you should add one by hand.
	This line should be added after the Newsgroups: line.

Thank-you for your time and adherance to these guidelines.  If a poster
should fail to comply, readers are encouraged to reply first by mail or
post a follow up to misc.jobs.misc.  With your help, we can keep the quality
of postings high, the unemployment rate low, and most importantly, the peace.

If you have questions regarding this posting or suggestions concerning ways
in which it can be improved, please send mail to me directly.

- John.	(jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US -= OR =- ...!killer!rpp386!jfh)

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |