[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V7 N5

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (01/24/89)

Volume: 7, Issue: 5, Mon Jan 23 17:15:43 EST 1989

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

SPECIAL ISSUE: Dynamical Systems Software and Textbooks

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'anonymous', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.

Date: Mon, 23 Jan 89 16:20:27 EST
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu

[[I THOUGHT READERS MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN THIS INFORMATION ON
 DYNAMICS SOFTWARE AND TEXTBOOKS summarized by Cliff Joslyn at
 SUNY Binghamton -PAF]]

Newsgroups: comp.theory.dynamic-sys,comp.theory.self-org-sys,sci.math,sci.misc,sci.math.symbolic
Subject: Course in Dynamics Systems - Recap
Date: 23 Dec 88 05:42:17 GMT

Some people may recall last month I posted a request for information and
feedback about an independent study program in Dynamic Systems Theory
that I was helping to develop here at SUNY-Binghamton.  The responses
were quite helpful, and I would like to take this opportunity to thank
everyone who talked w/me by e-mail and news, tell you where we stand
now, and post a summary of responses.

In my original posting I asked for references to texts, core works, and
software systems.  At this point I am aware of the following texts:

	Guckenheimer and Holmes, _Nonlinear Oscillations,
	Dynamical Systems, and Bifurcation of Vector Fields_,
	Springer-Verlag, 1983 (apparently the most mathematically
	sophisticated and comprehensive)

	Abraham and Shaw, _Dynamics: The Geometry of Behavior_,
	v. I-III (strongly reccomended for foundations and pictures)

	Robert Devaney, _Chaotic Dynamical Systems_ (however I've
	heard bad things about this book's rigor, from a former
	colleauge of Devaney's and others)

	JM Thompson and Stewart, _Non-Linear Dynamics and Chaos_

We finally decided on the software packages DS-I and DS-II from
Dynamical Systems Inc.  (PO Box 35241, Tucson, AZ 85740, (602)
825-1331), which we will be running on a vanilla PS/50.  We got the demo
disk for $10 and were very impressed.  The full system costs $550 and
includes Adams and Runge-Kutta integrators w/noise addition; discrete
maps w/noise; 2- and 3-D plotting with magnification, rotation,
translation, and Poincare sections; color coding for velocity; data
smoothing and interpolation; a delay-differential equation integrator;
phase portraits; bifurcation diagrams w/blowups; spectral analysis;
fractal dimension calculation; Lyapunov exponents; Eigen-values and
-vectors; and other stuff I don't pretend to understand.  It runs
(theoretically) on any PC w/practically any graphics.  We ran the demo
on a vanilla AT w/float processor and VGA, and the performance was
reasonable, the resolution could have been better.  There is site
licensing and quantity discounts.

We currently plan two sections of the course, one mathematically
oriented and requiring multi-variate calculus and diff.  eq.; the other
relatively non-mathematical, designed to expose the general student to
the subject.  In the first section we will work through most chapters of
Edward Beltrami's _Mathematics for Dynamic Modeling_.  In the second
section we will be using Abraham and Shaw's series, as well as
supplementary articles provided by the students and instructor.

I will be focusing on getting a basic competence in the mathematics and
concepts of the application of Dynamic Systems to Self-Organizing
Systems and the relation between dynamics and symbolic behavior.  I'll
be studying Prigogine, Haken, fractal dimension, entropies of
attractors, dissipative structures, phase changes, and whatever else I
come across.

Summary follows.  My comments are in square brackets.

>From: Anand Rangarajan <anand%brand.usc.edu@oberon.usc.edu>

	To be more specific, phase transitions are possible only in very large
systems (can treat averages statistically). Crystal growth is an example of a
phase transition (equilibrium). What happens here is a sharp change in behavior
after the ``transition'' point. One measure of collective action here is
statistical correlations. The correlation length goes up drastically after a
phase transition indicating that information  has been communicated. This is
similar to the action of a laser before and after its transition point. Before
- it is just a lamp, after- there is increased coherence and resonance. However
the laser is maintained far from equilibrium (so the transition has been dubbed
a non-equilibrium phase-transition by Haken and his co-workers at any rate).

Please see the chapter by Anderson (chap. 2 I think), in ``Emerging syntheses
in science'', ed. by David Pines, Addison Wesley Publishing Co. Inc., 1988.
Also, the first reference in that chapter is more technical (I don't have the
 book with me ) and the chapter by Charles Bennett in the same book.

Also, a good intro to simulated annealing is ``Simulated Annealing, Theory and
Applications'' by P.J.Van Laarhoven and Aarts (has discussion of phase
transitions in annealing).

The problem seems to me is the very definition of a SOS. If SOS refers to
collective behavior, then eq. phase transitions can be included. If SOS is
restricted to non-equilibrium then only non-eq. phase transitions can be
included. But you are right- Dyn. Sys. is the general field and since a SOS
is so vague, a lot of work needs to be done.

[ Anand also recomends: _Self-Organizing Systems: the Emergence of
Order_ ed. Eugene Yates; _From Equilibrium to Chaos_ by Rudiger Seydel
as an introduction; Guck.+Holmes; and Eric Jantsch, _The Self-Organizing
Universe_ ]

>From: Bruce Stewart <bstewart@bnlux0.bnl.gov>

There is a book by Huseyin Kocak, published by Springer, which
includes a nifty diskette for IBM-PC, price about $50.

Jim Yorke will probably send you his PC software if you send him
a blank diskette and perhaps a small fee. (Math Dept, U Maryland
College Park).

If you want the ultimate user interface and have access to a
Silicon Graphics Iris workstation, I have some software
which you can have for free. I plan to use it to help teach
a course at Princeton this spring.

>From: cws@lab9.math.ufl.edu

We bought Dynasim for the Math Department here on my recommendation
and it wasn't worth the rather stiff price or the recriminations from
my colleagues.  (I hoped we could have some of the fun of the pictures
in Abraham and Shaw.)

Dynasim is copy-protected, not too versatile, and in spite of
Ralph Abraham's claims that the integrator is dynamite stuff, has
a tendency to draw closed orbits as open.  We have been more
impressed by a  package called Tutsim (which is really aimed at
engineering simulation, almost like an analog computer),
which is sometimes advertised in Byte, and by the package
Springer-Verlag peddles to accompany a text in ODE and dynamics.
Both are much cheaper than Abraham's package.

I can't remember the name of the Springer-Verlag package -- it was
written at Brown for a course taught there, and it really draws things
like the van der Pol closed orbit as *closed*, which is what one wants
for pedagogy.  The other package, Tutsim, got a lot of mileage put on
it by a colleague fiddling with some systems of differential equations
for his research, since he could readily tweak a value and re-run the
experiment to see how stable his schemes and claims really were.

Chris Stark
Dept. of Mathematics
University of Florida
Gainesville, FL 32611
cws@mathlab.math.ufl.edu
stark@pine.circa.ufl.edu
stark@ufpine.bitnet

>From: J. Mailen Kootsey <jmk@cs.duke.edu>

	The National Biomedical Simulation Resource (an NIH funded
research facility here at Duke) has written and distributes a simulation
package called SCoP that should fill your needs outlined in your
news item.  SCoP runs on IBM PC's and clones, on VAXes under VMS, and
on UNIX machines such as SUN's, VAXes, Pyramids, etc. We distribute
the software in compiled and source form for a handling fee of $25
and it can be copied freely for educational or research use.  You need
a text editor of some sort to prepare the source files and a C
compiler (we recommend Turbo-C on the IBM PC).  If you will email a
USMail address to me, I will send you a brochure with more details.

	SCoP is a versatile, interactive system designed to make
powerful simulation techniques available with a minimum of programming
knowledge and skills.  The user supplies the model equations (algebraic,
ODE's, or some types of PDE's; linear or nonlinear) and SCoP supplies
the solver and the user interface -- control of the calculation,
plotting the output or writing to disk, manipulation of parameters,
etc. The program is menu driven with extensive on-line help.  The
package also includes a nonlinear optimizer for parameter estimation.
You can readily do phase plots as you specified and include experimental
or other external data in plots. SCoP can handle a
wide range of problem sizes, from one or two state variables to
tens of thousands or more -- depending mostly on the hardware it is run
on.  We are now distributing version 2.6 and are preparing version 3.0
for shipment in the next month or so to add some new features.

	Let me know if you would like to try SCoP.

		Mailen Kootsey
		Director, NBSR
		jmk@nbsr.mc.duke.edu

[ I have technical literature on SCoP.  It includes a number of
integration and simultaneous equations methods, and forcing and
stochastic functions.  Basically, the way the system works is to
generate data using the above methods, and then optimizing these results
relative to some user-provided data set.  Sensitivity analysis included. ]

>From: Federico Cuello  <cuello@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>

With all the disclaimers that may apply, this is something that
you may find interesting:

In the last issue of MacWeek (16 November 1988) there is a note
announcing the release of these two simulation programs:

_Mac Analyst_: "A program for diagramming and analyzing
		complex systems. I has a lot of tools for
		simulating the information flows within a
		system and the process that acts on the data.
		The package supports 'diagram levelling',
		allowing processes on one diagram to be explo-
		ded with a double-click of the mouse into a
		more detailed lower-level diagram.

_Mac Designer_: "A program for diagramming the structure of
		an information system and generating a textual
		description of such system".

Both products are for the Apple Macintosh w/1 MB RAM.
They are produced and marketed by:

_Excel Software_\
P. O. Box 1414
Marshalltown, Iowa 50158
(515) 752 5359

at $795.00 each.

The most important is the graphical systems-dynamic approach
that they achieve, which would cost at least $10,000 to achieve
on a Sun. For that price, you can get an Apple Macintosh SE
with 4 MB RAM, a 25 Mhz. accellerator card and both simulation
software packages (and still have some leftover to by the Mathe-
matica program from Wolfram Research Inc.).

cuello@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (Federico Cuello)
Research Assistant
Department of Economics

>From: pacbell!pbhyg!ead@decwrl.dec.com

There's a text associated with DYNAMO that you may want to look at, which is
fairly comprehensive in describing positive and negative feedback, rates and
levels; KSIM is another software package which is unfortunately more primitive
than DYNAMO.  In the Mac world, there is STELLA.

There was an article recently in Scientific American on chaos theory.  Also,
you may be interested in some of Prigogine's more recent work, which tends
toward a treatment of time:  titles like "An alternative to quantum theory"
(1988), "Intrinsic irreversibility in quantum mechanics" (1987), "Poincare's
theorem and unitary transformations for classical and quantum systems" (1988),
"Irreversibility and space-time structure" (1987), "Order out of chaos" (1987),
oops, that was 1984, reviewed several times in that year), "Exploring
complexity" (1987), etc.

Sounds like an interesting course.  I'm math phobic, but I'm a researcher in
the philosophy and history of the systems movement, with an emphasis on
cybernetics.  So I run across this stuff.  I have a complete bibliography
on Prigogine, if you want to know where to find anything mentioned above.

Good luck,

Elizabeth

>From: julian@riacs.edu

Since you're going to be using Suns I'd recommend Mathematica from
Wolfram Research Inc.  It can handle everything you described in the
posting; additionally, since it is general purpose, it will be able to
handle other mathematical tasks as well.

	Dr. Julian "a tribble took it" Gomez  415/694-6363
	julian@riacs.edu || {...decvax!}ames!riacs!julian
	RIACS - Research Institute for Advanced Computer Science

[ I've asked for literature from Wolfram, but to date it has not
arrived. ]

>From jfc@ATHENA.MIT.EDU Wed Nov 23 07:36:56 1988

I am taking a course at MIT called "solar system dynamics".  It is really
about chaos.  The professor has written a number of short programs, each of
which generates a surface of section for a problem of interest (a surface of
section is a two-dimensional cross section of 4 dimesnsional phase space [at
least as we use it]).  These run under X windows, but should be portable to
other graphics.  A PC/AT is a little slow, but a Sun should be fine (we run
it on IBM PC/RTs and VS 2000s).  The course has been mostly from his own
notes, so I can't recommend any texts (he says there aren't any good ones,
at least that overlap his course enough).

This subject can lead to some interesting, and not obviously relevant, topics
(for example, what is the "most irrational" number?  This came up during the
proof that a linearly stable system remains stable under perturbation).

  --John Carr (jfc@athena.mit.edu)

[ I've asked John for more information, but have no reply yet ].

>From: sunybcs!rutgers!cs.ucsd.edu!demers

If you need some more mathematical preliminaries, I think the
Hirsch & Smale book, _Differential Equations, Dynamical Systems,
and Linear Algebra (Academic Press, 1974) is excellent.

I am not familiar with good software, I have used a product
called Phaser, which plots phase maps.  It's on a PC, and it's
not really very good.  I don't know where it comes from.

Dave DeMers			demers@cs.ucsd.edu
Dept of Computer Science & Engineering
UCSD
La Jolla, CA  92093

>From: peter@SGI.COM (peter broadwell)

A very nice set of software that I have some experience with is called
 CHAOS and comes from Brookhaven national labs. It runs on Silicon Graphics
 Iris's so it is able to give very nice dynamic displays of 3-D projections.

 Contact bstewart@bnl.gov regarding availability.

 Here is a blurb from a README in the system:

			     CHAOS - Version 2.0

			     Visual Dynamics Software

		     Conceived by:		    Dr. Bruce Stewart
												     Designed and Implemented by:
						     Ed Thieberger &
						     Bruce Stewart

			Last update - July, 1987

Welcome to visual dynamics!

DYNAMICAL SYSTEMS

This software is designed to explore behavior of dynamical systems by
computing their evolution in time and visualizing their orbits in phase space.
Seven exemplary systems are included; each traces out orbits in a 3-d space.
    Each system can have different long-term qualitative behaviors,
depending on values of control variables and initial conditions. To encourage
exploration, these and other parameters can be conveniently changed using
popup menus.

--------------------
really nice stuff
;;peter@sgi.com

[ See Bruce's comment above ].

>From: jweiss@cgdra.UCAR.EDU (Jeffrey Weiss)

Regarding your bibliography, the two texts that I find most useful and
complete are
	Guckenheimer and Holmes; Nonlinear Oscillations, Dynamical
Systems, and Bifurcation of Vector Fields; Springer-Verlag
	Lichtenberg and Lieberman; Regular and Stochastic Motion;
Springer-Verlag.

   Both would be appropriate texts for a course in dynamical systems
(and have been at Berkeley in the Physics Dept.)  Of the two, G & H is
more mathematical while L&L is more physical but not as well
organized, which can make it confusing (at least I get confused
sometimes).

   In addition, there are at least two collections of reprints that
you may find useful:
	P. Cvitanovic, Universality in Chaos
	S-B Lin, Chaos  (I'm not positive of the editor's name on
		this one)

I hope you find this useful.  In addition, I am interested in whatever
information you obtain about software.

Jeffrey Weiss
jweiss@cgdra.ucar.edu

[ On Prigogine, Haken, et al. ]

I believe most physicists would consider the above theorizing as at best
soft-core sciences, i.e., they are mostly philosophies rather than methods.
You may check a book review in Physics Today around 1983 about "From being
to becoming". It says the book contains either stuffs which are correct but
not new, or stuffs which are new but wrong. I am not sure if this view is
simply a prejudice of physicists.

You may also look at a review article in November 1988 issue of "Physics
Today" entitled "Chaos: How Regular can it be?" by a group of Russian
physicists, including Roald Z. Sagdeev, the drector of Space Research
Institute.

For Supplementary References, I think you might want to add one about
Cellular Automata, which complements with continuous approach to the
dynamic systems, the following reference may not be the best one:
Stephen Wolfram, Physical Review letters Vol.54, 735 (1985).

By the way, you might also want to know about Wolfram's software
Mathematica by calling (217)398-0700.
--
Zhenqin Li  (607) 255-0556 (O) |  "No man is an island."  -John Donne

>From: fishwick@uflorida.cis.ufl.EDU (Paul Fishwick)

I suggest that you look into the package DESIRE if you are looking for
something inexpensive which is a truly powerful ODE package for an
IBM PC. I am teaching my advanced simulation course next semester and
I am using "Interactive Dynamic System Simulation" by Granino Korn, for
the 'continuous' part of the course - there is a combination, shrink-
wrapped version ISBN 0-07-852261-7 (book and disk) from McGraw Hill.
MAKE SURE to ask for the "Professional Series" book division -- the
normal textbook division did not know about it. It is brand new: 1989
copyright. A caveat: It is not a textbook (no exercises) but it seems
much more than a user's manual for DESIRE. I intend to lecture concepts,
theory, and methodology in class (from other books - your choice of Beltrami
seems a good one) and then have give assignments that use DESIRE.
Hopefully, this will give the students the right blend of theory and
practice.

>Requirements:
>	ODE solutions, trajectories, phase space projections,
>	bifurcation diagrams.

DESIRE can handle all of these very nicely. There are no special facilities
for 'zooming' on iteratively defined sets such as Julia, Mandelbrot,etc.
but the 'plot' function can be easily rigged for plotting in real or
complex space. NOTE: the book version of the software is complete DESIRE
EXCEPT for a limit of 5 first order DE's (which should not be a problem
for many demonstrable systems), and a limit on the array size for FFT.
DESIRE handles general matrix operations, convolution, FFT in addition
to DE's.

>Desired:
>	Decent user interface, plot from data imported from text files,
>	generality, speed, resolution.

I am very impressed by the speed and it is very interactive. Parameter
adjustments are easily done without re-compiling. It is an extremely
easy to use and flexible system. Here is an example non-linear system
(Lorenz System) set up for an XY plane view - note the ease of writing
the equations:

 DT=.01 |  TMAX=50.0 |  NN=5000
 x=2 |  y=2 |  z=2 |  scale=30
 drun
 DYNAMIC
 d/dt x=10*(y-x) |  d/dt y=x*(28-z)-y |  d/dt z=x*y-2.67*z
 dispxy x,y |  -- display XY plane

>Price and Licensing:
>	Not so sure here.  We can probably get a few hundred bucks
>	together, and obviously academic discounts and liberal licensing
>	are preferred.

If the student buys the book/disk (which I think is around $40) then
you're set! Hope this helps --- I'd also like to hear from others about
their packages for both continuous and discrete systems simulation.

-paul

| Prof. Paul A. Fishwick.... INTERNET: fishwick@bikini.cis.ufl.edu       |
| Dept. of Computer Science. UUCP: gatech!uflorida!fishwick              |
| Univ. of Florida.......... PHONE: (904)-335-8036                       |
| Bldg. CSE, Room 301....... FAX is available                            |
| Gainesville, FL 32611.....                                             |

[ I really should check this one out more thoroughly . . . ]

In article <1934@crete.cs.glasgow.ac.uk> jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) writes:

>What about adding "Catastrophe Theory" by Vladimir Arnol'd (Springer-Verlag)
>as a counterweight?  I thought there was something wrong with my brain when
>reading Thom ("this stuff seems like gibberish...") and Zeeman mostly follows
>the Thom line.  Arnol'd gave me the welcome reassurance that it was indeed
>gibberish.

For a decent middle ground, accessible to those of us who read popular
math books on the bus, you might also look at the well-written,
entertaining, _Mathematics of the Unexpected_, by Ivar Peterson.
Peterson's work looks at both catastrophe theory and chaotic dynamics
theory.

For chaos theory, it is a MUST READ supplement for James Gleick's
book, _Chaos_.  Reading Peterson makes you distinctly aware of
Gleick's shortcomings in describing the research he reports on
(Peterson is a mathematician who writes (wonderfully), not a science
writer who understands math (passably)).

For catastrophe theory, the book is about at the same level of
Arnold's book, but takes a middle ground.  Its outlook is: these are
the basic results of catastrophe theory, they are interesting, but
their significance is mostly exaggerated.

It has an interesting final chapter that ties in Homer's _Illiad_ and
_Odyssey_ in a non-contrived manner.

Still, Arnold's book has some truly fine invective in it, and is worth
reading for that alone.
--
david mankins/dm@bbn.com

>From: tomp@hpsrli.HP.COM (Tom Parker)

I can recommend (with no impartiality attempted) two references and one
software package.

The first reference is "Chaos:  A Tutorial for Engineers" by Parker and
Chua in the August 1987 issue of the Proceedings of the IEEE.  This is a
tutorial paper covering limit sets, stability, invariant manifolds,
Lyapunov exponents, dimension, and reconstruction of attractors.  It
contains theory as well as numerical algorithms.

The second reference is the book "Practical Numerical Algorithms for
Chaotic Systems" by Parker and Chua to be published by Springer-Verlag
in April/May 1989.  It is a more detailed, expanded version of the
tutorial.  Additional topics include bifurcations, bifurcation diagrams,
phase portraits, and numerical integration.

The software package is called INSITE.  It runs on the X11 graphics
package under UNIX and on the MetaGraphics graphics package under
PC-DOS.  There is a short write-up on it in the August 1987 issue of the
Proceedings of the IEEE.  It contains graphically based, interactive
programs that

    calculate and plot trajectories and orbits,

    calculate and plot bifurcation diagrams of continuous- or
	discrete-time systems,

    calculate Lyapunov exponents (via simulation),

    calculate correlation dimension of attractors (from a data file
	obtained via experiment or simulation),

    calculate and plot one-dimensional invariant manifolds of a
	(Poincare) map,

    calculate and plot periodic solution of continuous- or
	discrete-time systems, and

    calculate and plot phase portraits of two-dimensional
	continuous-time systems.

The software will be available for distribution in June, 1989.  The cost
will be around $200.  The complete source code is included.  Ordering
information on the software can be obtained by writing

    INSITE
    P.O. Box 9662
    Berkeley, CA, 94709-9662

tom parker

[ I would but it's just too late for us ].

>From: cheryl@tcgould.tc.cornell.edu (cheryl)

Birkhoff and Rota: Good for a first course in ODEs.  Greens functions,
Bessels equation, harmonic oscillator, eistence and uniqueness, power
series solutions, stuff like that.  a RED book from Wiley + Sons, 1978.

Hirsch and Smale: Good for intermediate ODEs, dynamical systems, an
IDEAL background for Guck.+Holmes.  I would recommend this even if
you've had a course or two in ODEs. A GREEN book from Academic Press.

Gukenheimer and Holmes:  Number 42 in the Springer series on Applied
Mathematical Sciences, this is, in fact, the answer to the ultimate
question of life, the universe, and everything.  A YELLOW book from
Springer, 1983.

Cheryl

>From: jdm@emx.utexas.edu (James Meiss)

There is a nice book by Devaney, called Dynamical Systems or something
that goes through alot of the proofs.  Also check out the reprint
collections edited by Cvitanovic "Universality in Chaos" published by
Adam Hilgar, and a similar one by Hao Bao Lin, World Scientific Press.

Finally, if you get interested in Hamiltonian Systems there is a great
new reprint collection "Hamiltonaian Dynamical Systems" edited by MacKay
and Meiss** also published by Adam Hilgar.  You can get it from their US
distributor, Taylor-Francis (New York).

		Jim Meiss
		jdm@emx.utexas.edu
		jdm%uta.MFENET@nmfecc.ARPA

**bias is obvious here!

>From: cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell)

Try "Chaos", edited by Arun Holden, Princeton U Press. 1986
I think you'll find that it has all the meat the Gleick skipped over.

End of summary

--
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu