[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V7 N6

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (01/31/89)

Volume: 7, Issue: 6, Mon Jan 30 12:04:12 EST 1989

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) DES Interacting with a Computer Network
(2) Transients in Computer Network Simulation
(3) Equations for Aircraft Flight
(4) TENCON - IEEE International Conference in India
(5) TENCON - Communications Networking

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'anonymous', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.

Posted-Date: Tue, 24 Jan 89 09:57:44 PST
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 89 09:57:44 PST
From: steve@mars.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Steve Glicker)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: discrete event simulation interoperating with the real world

I am in an early stage of designing a discrete event simulator which
will interact with a network of computers.  The computers in this
network are themselves interactively operated by humans.  The purpose
of the simulator is to effectively extend the network by simulating
additional network (computer/human) nodes.  A realistic node model
is of primary interest.

I would appreciate references (or first hand information) on work
related to discrete event simulators which interoperate with real
world systems like the one described above.  Parallel simulation and
rulebased simulation are also of interest.

Steve Glicker
Applied Research Laboratories
The University of Texas at Austin
(steve@mars.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu)

------------------------------

To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Cc: zwang@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: transient performance evaluation
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 89 21:20:56 +0000
From: Zheng Wang (Ext: 3701) <Z.Wang@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>

I am analyzing the performance of computer networks. What I am
interested in is the transient performance following unexpected
events (the performance after a link failure). It seems that
most papers or books on analysis of simulation data deal with
steady-state situation. Could anyone give me some advice on
output analysis of transient phase and recommand some references.

Thank you in advance.

Zheng (zwang@uk.ac.ucl.cs)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jan 89 09:34:45 EST
From: Gregory Bollella <bollella@cs.unc.edu>
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Aricraft simulators

I am a graduate CS student at The University of North Carolina at
Chapel Hill.  I need to build an aircraft simulator this term and
was wondering if anyone in the group might have some relevant
pointers.  The simulator will only be a test bed for a controller
based on fuzzy logic so I do not need sophisticated output.

Thanks,
Gregory Bollella
Department of Computer Science         bollella@cs.unc.edu
CB# 3175 Sitterson Hall
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3175

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Jan  07:08:23 1989
From: gatech!hou2d!krsm@bikini.cis.ufl.edu (Srinivasa K R Murthy +1 201 615 4629)
Subject: TENCON - IEEE International Conference in India

                     TENCON 1989 IN INDIA
             IEEE Region 10 Conference

	Theme : Information Technologies for the 90's

	Dates : 22, 23, 24 Nov 1989
	Place : Bombay, India

	Major Topics :	Networks
			Communication Systems
			Signal Processing
			Computers & Applications
			Circuits & Devices
			Energy
			Socio-Economic Issues

Session proposals by		Jan 31 1989
Paper submission by 		March 31 1989
Notification of acceptance by	May 15 1989
Photo-ready paper by		July 1989
Submission of visual aids by	Sept 15 1989

Planned			Exhibits
			Sessions
			Social Program
			"Visit India" Tour
			Special Travel Arrangements

     The sessions will be approximately 1 1/2 hour long.
     The sessions will be approximately 1 1/2 hour long.
     A proceedings will be published. Papers will be
       4-6 conference pages.

     Tutorial courses will be for one day (say 6 hours).
     A proceedings will be published. Papers will be
       4-6 conference pages.

     Tutorial courses will be for one day (say 6 hours).

People interested in
			submitting papers
			organizing sessions
			panel discussions

may send proposal to K.R.S. Murthy

			or simply for more information

may contact:

K.R.S. Murthy
Room 1G-306
AT&T Bell Labs
480 Red Hill Road
Middletown
NJ 07748
(201)-615-4629
..!att!hou2d!krsm
Please send me your session proposal
and / or paper by e-mail first. Please include the following:

Title of the session
Summary of the session
Sub-topics of the session
Potential / actual papers (title, author, estimated number of pages
                           abstract, if any)
Details of the session organizer(s) / chair(s)
(address, phone(s), fax, e-mail address bio, IEEE experience,
 session experience)

For a paper please include:

Title of the paper
Author's details (address, phone, fax, e-mail address)
Abstract
Estimated number of pages

You have to send a hard copy of your submittal later.

Thank you, agian.

With warm regards.

K.R.S. Murthy
AT&T Bell Labs
Room 1G-306
480 Red Hill Road
Middletown
NJ 07748
(201)-615-4629
E-mail ..!att!hou2d!krsm

I am organizing to provide integrated support from U.S.A.
I am interested in setting up an
infrastructure covering major companies / universities
and metropolises for effective and coordinated publicity and
session planning. Specifically, I am interested in setting up
company / university representatives and regional representatives.

I would like to open for volunteers for the above mentioned
activities. Volunteers may give their address, phone #s and
e-mail address mentioning how they can help.

            FIRST COME FIRST SERVE APPROACH WILL BE USED

                    IEEE TENCON 1989, BOMBAY, INDIA

Dear Friend and Volunteer,

Thank you for your interest.

Your role in TENCON can not only benefit you, but also your
employer. TENCON is an international IEEE conference. It
is a Region 10 conference conducted every year. Region 10
covers the Far East (Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan, China, Singapore,
India, South Korea and other countries) and Australia among other
countries. The conference is hosted this year by the
IEEE Bombay Section. The conference organizers and attendees
will come from many countries around the world.

I am giving below suggestions for your involvement in the conference.
I am sure all of you can be creative and think of more ways to
contribute to the conference. :

	a. First thing you can do is to publicize
about the conference in you organization (university, industry).

	b. You can submit a paper for the conference and identify people
in your organization and professional circles who will be interested
in submitting a paper.

	c.  More experienced people can organize a session.
Students and new graduates can identify more experienced people
(seniors professionals, professors) interested in organizing a
tutorial or paper session and pursue it.

	d. Exhibits are planned during the conference. You may
contact your employer or a company you know to explore their
interest in the exhibits. The conference being international, delegates
and attendees from many countries around the world are the target
receipients of the product information. Companies exhibiting
and sending their employees as attendees can benefit from potential
contacts that can translate into business.

I will be glad to guide and provide help for any of the activities.

You as a volunteer, attendee, paper presenter or session organizer
can convince your employer of the benefits of your and your
management's participation in this conference.

 Please send me your session proposal
and / or paper by e-mail first. Please include the following:

Title of the session
Summary of the session
Sub-topics of the session
Potential / actual papers (title, author, estimated number of pages
                           abstract, if any)
Details of the session organizer(s) / chair(s)
(address, phone(s), fax, e-mail address bio, IEEE experience,
 session experience)

For a paper please include:

Title of the paper
Author's details (address, phone, fax, e-mail address)
Abstract
Estimated number of pages

You have to send a hard copy of your submittal later.

              Some hints for your session preparation

1. Please note that a session as planned now has time
for 4 to 5 paper presentations (sessions are approximately
1 1/2 hours long).

3. It is advisible that you keep in mind, or have definite sources,
potential authors ( or atleast universities / research organizations
where work is underway in U.S.A., India
and other countries) for the topics of your session. The papers should
provide a balanced perspective, while encompassing the full
spectrum of topics of the session. So, the title of the session
and the papers (and topics in the session) in the session
should support each other.

4. The conference is an IEEE international conference. Organized
and hosted by sections in countries of IEEE region 10, this is the
fourth year of TENCON. This year it is in Bombay, India. So,
the conference should cater to the needs of attendees from
not only the hosting country, but also countries of Region 10
and the whole world. The sessions should reflect this approach.
I realize that practically the focus and scope of the sessions
are affected by the response from paper presenters and attendees.

        Please proceed with your efforts. We can always tune the session
title, its theme and topics covered based on the response for
the call for papers.

Continue the good work. Please keep me posted of any progress
as well as problems.

Thank you again.

K.R.S. Murthy
******************  END *********************************************

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 29 Jan  18:41:11 1989
From: gatech!hou2d!krsm@bikini.cis.ufl.edu (Srinivasa K R Murthy +1 201 615 4629)
Subject: TENCON -sessions - call for papers for some sessions

             FORWARDED BY K.R.S. Murthy
                FOURTH IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE

                              TENCON

                INFORMATION TECHNOLOGIES FOR THE 90's
                ( IEEE Region 10 Conference)

	Theme : Information Technologies for the 90's

	Dates : 22, 23, 24 Nov 1989
	Place : Bombay, India

		CALL FOR PAPERS FOR
                    A SESSION ON

	COMMUNICATION NETWORKING IN THE 90's AND BEYOND

The session will cover voice and data natworking trends in the
last part of this century and into the next century. Local area
networking (LAN) and wide area networking (WAN) as well as
interworking & internetworing trends and issues will be covered.
Both LAN and WAN as well as end-to-end operations support and network
management techniques to include planning, installation,
maintenance and administration of the networks will be covered.
Both technological and market growth projections will be presented
in the session. The industry and the market for technologically
advanced, developing and thirld world countries will be addressed.
Internetworking, protocol standardization and voice and data trafficing
between these three types of countries poses a great challenge for
global networking visionaries.

The session will cover papers from few of the following potential
topics:

	Network Architectures
          (LANs, WANs, MANs etc.)

        Value Added Networks (VAN)
          (Electronic Mail, Directory Service, Value adding for
            financial, data base, etc. applications)

	End-to-end, Unified Operations Support & Network Management
         (Provisioning, Maintenance, Customer control of network
           management for sophisticated users)

	High Speed Communications
         (Fiber Optic, Wideband Packet etc.)

	Dedicated, Circuit Switched & Packet Switched Communications

	Public, Shared and Private Networks

	Network Optimization Techniques

	Selfhealing and Restoration

	International Networking Issues
         (Gateways, Global Addressing, Security etc.)

	Standards / Protocols (Frame Relay, MAP/TOP SONET etc.)

	Bandwidth Management Techniques

If you are interested submitting paper, please submit the following
details with abstract by 20th Feb 89.

Title of the paper
Author's details (address, phone, fax, e-mail address)
Abstract

Full paper submission by	March 31 1989
Notification of acceptance by	May 15 1989
Photo-ready paper by		July 1989
Submission of visual aids by	Sept 15 1989

Session Organizer and Chair:

K.R.S. Murthy
Room 1G-306
AT&T Bell Labs