[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V7 N9

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (02/23/89)

Volume: 7, Issue: 9, Wed Feb 22 12:34:28 EST 1989

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) System Specification Languages
(2) NEST Simulation Software
(3) Network Simulation Programs

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'anonymous', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.

To: comp-simulation@uunet.UU.NET
From: malcolm@CS.UCLA.EDU
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: What is your idea of the ideal specification development system?
Date: 15 Feb 89 16:54:10 GMT
Sender: news@CS.UCLA.EDU

Thank you for taking the time to read my posting.

For my master's thesis I am considering developing
a general purpose environment that allows for the
development, execution, and verification of system
specifications.

I was wondering if you had any suggestions as to what
features or constructs you would deem necessary in
such an environment?

For example, if you were were developing the specifi-
cations for the software simulation of a plane's aero-
dynamics, what features in the specification language
would you want that would make it easier for you?  Would
you want a graphical display of the specifications?
Should the specifications be entered in a text mode or
in graphics mode?  Would you want to be able to define
different levels of abstraction?

Please forgive me for posting to so many newsgroups.
My hope is that by posting to several different groups,
I will be able to determine what constructs are needed to
implement a general-purpose specification language environ-
ment.

Please e-mail your ideas.  I will post a summary of the

Thanks again for your time and ideas.

 Internet: malcolm@cs.ucla.edu
     UUCP: ...!{trwspp,cepu, uclachem}!ucla-cs!malcolm

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Feb 89 10:34:12 -0500
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu

[[Several readers have shown an interest in how to get the NEST software,
so I am reposting this message concerning FTP availability. -PAF]]

Subject: Nest 2.5 available via anonymous FTP

Thanks for your interest in the Nest network simulation testbed.

Nest is now available without cost to non-profit research and educational
organizations which have access to the ARPA Internet.  Both documentation and
full sources are available on the Columbia Vax [columbia.edu: 10.3.0.89].

There are four files in the ~ftp/pub directory:

 221184 bytes	nest-25-doc.tar		Lineprinter formatted documentation.
 438272 bytes	nest-25-doc2.tar	Scribe and PostScript formatted docs.
 339968 bytes	nest-25-src.tar		Source for Nest simulation library.
 208896 bytes	nest-25-disp.tar	Source for user interface display.

 @alex
 ---
inet: dupuy@columbia.edu
uucp: !rutgers!columbia!dupuy
phone: (212) 280-4290

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Feb 89 10:03:53 EST
From: rzahavi@gateway.mitre.org (Ron Zahavi)
To: fishwick@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: simulation programs

I have just completed a project using OPNET, a network simulation tool
produced by a company called MIL 3.  At this time I am looking at two
of the public domain packages, namely NEST and the MIT package.  I would
be interested in finding out if there are any mail lists and/or interest
groups directed specifically at these packages.  I am interested
in a forum where I could exchange information, experiences,
bug fixes, and generic modules and functions.

[[EDITOR's NOTE: Ron has also said that he would be interested in forming
such a group in none currently exists. Please contact him directly if
you have an interest - PAF]]

  Thanks in advance.

 -- Ron --

      Ron Zahavi  (703) 883-5637                 Mitre Corporation
      rzahavi@gateway.mitre.org                  7525 Colshire Drive
                                                 McLean, VA  22102

| END OF SIMULATION DIGEST |