[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V8 N6

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (04/16/89)

Volume: 8, Issue: 6, Sat Apr 15 15:41:11 EDT 1989

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Distributed Simulation
(2) Simulated Annealing on Parallel Systems
(3) SPICE on HP Computers
(4) Petri Net Toolkit Available
(5) References for Distributed Simulation (long message)

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'anonymous', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.

To: comp-simulation@mcvax.cwi.nl
From: stil@nikhefh.hep.nl (Gertjan Stil)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation,comp.parallel
Subject: References
Date: 11 Apr 89 14:18:26 GMT

I'm desperately looking for some references of articles about distributed
simulation. Mostly I'm interrested in articles that deal with handling virtual
time in an distributed simulation environment. Can someone please help me ?

Thanks in advance,

Gertjan Stil

<...!mcvax!nikhefh.hep.nl!stil>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 89 23:32:52 -0400
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: Simulated Annealing on Parallel Systems

[[forwarded from comp.ai.neural-nets -PAF]]

>From uflorida!haven!ames!elroy!orion.cf.uci.edu!uci-ics!ucla-cs!squid!dgreen Thu Apr 13 23:31:29 EDT 1989
Article 667 of comp.ai.neural-nets:
Newsgroups: comp.sys.transputer,sci.logic,comp.theory,comp.lsi.cad,comp.lsi,comp.ai.neural-nets,comp.ai.vision,sci.math.stat,sci.physics,comp.theory.self-org-sys,comp.arch
Subject: Parallel Simulated Annealing / References and Are You Doing It?
Date: 13 Apr 89 23:14:42 GMT
Sender: news@CS.UCLA.EDU

Simulated annealing is often used for combinatorial optimization and
other hard problems.  It uses thermodynamic properties as a metaphor
for solving these problems.  Simulated annealing is used for nearly
every VLSI CAD problem under the sun: placement, routing, logic
optimization, circuit delay.  Plus some vision problems, neural
network weight-setting, a huge collection of NP complete problems,
etc.  That's why the crossposting list is so big.  I probably missed
a few, too :-).

I am looking for references AND people who have implemented simulated
annealing applications on parallel processors.  There are some
difficult and interesting problems in extending simulated annealing to
parallel processors.

If you send parallel simulated annealing references to me via e-mail,
I will compile a bibliography and share it with all contributors.  I'm
also interested in hearing from people who are actively WORKING in
parallel simulated annealing, and will set up a mailing list if there
is enough interest.

Any leads you can give me to parallel simulated annealing researchers
who may not read news (but have e-mail connections), would also be
greatly appreciated.

Please do not post a followup to this posting.  There are way too many
newsgroups to which this is crossposted.  But please send e-mail, and
we will be able to communicate among ourselves.  Thanks.

[I apologize if you have already seen this in comp.parallel.  The original
 was cross-posted to several groups, but the comp.parallel moderator removed
 all but comp.parallel (probably through an automatic formatter).  I know
 several people applying parallel simulated annealing, who do not read
 comp.parallel.

 I have received a few replies from comp.parallel, and will entice you further,
 with these tidbits: I recently published a paper with F. Darema, who
 appears on most reference lists I received.  I have a rather large
 reference list myself and, as I said, will share it with people who share
 theirs with me. --dan]

Dan Greening  dgreen@cs.ucla.edu  213-472-4898  308 Westwood Plaza, #117
       	                                        Los Angeles, CA 90024-1647

------------------------------

From: millsad <millsad@prl.philips.co.uk>
Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp,comp.simulation
Subject: SPICE on HP computers
Date: 14 Apr 89 14:16:45 GMT

Can anybody tell me if the software package, SPICE, can be obtained to run
on HP 9000 series computers?  I believe that it is public domain software;
is this true?  If it runs under Unix, it should run under HPUX but where
does it come from?

Any help would be very welcome.  Please mail your response.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 89 15:34:13 -0400
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu

[[Forwarded from comp.parallel -PAF]]

>From uflorida!mailrus!csd4.milw.wisc.edu!lll-winken!uunet!ncrlnk!ncrcae!hubcap!agn Sat Apr 15 15:24:12 EDT 1989
Article 569 of comp.parallel:
Newsgroups: comp.parallel
Subject: Re: Looking for Petri net 'Toolkit'
Date: 10 Apr 89 12:16:08 GMT
Sender: fpst@hubcap.clemson.edu

I used "GreatSPN" written by Giovanni Chiola which is based
on M. Molloy's work on generalized Petri Nets. It is a very
nice package:

-  Interactive graphics editor (run on SUNs using Suntools)
   that produces internal representations and postscript
   output.

-  The editor knows about PNs and does sanity checks.

-  Deterministic, immediate and exponentially timed transitions

-  Inhibitor arcs are supported.

-  Analysis tools can be called from the editor and
   backannotate into the graphical representation.
   (Several analytical analysis modules are included plus
    a Monte Carlo simulator for cases that exceed the
    analytical capabilities)

-  Error bounds on the results are given.
   Results appear as bar-graphs or in numeric form.

-  Interactive net execution (to debug the net)

-  Static analysis tools are provided to check boundedness etc.

Minor drawback: the simulator was written in pascal and was quite
slow. I rewrote that in C (left out a few features that I didn't
need plus added others: about 50-100x speedup, or about 100K
transition fires/sec on a SUN 3/60. Nets with 500 places and
1000 transitions were successfully solved.

My code is free for the asking, GreatSPN requires permission from
the author, who can be reached on BIT-NET:

   CHIOLA%ITOINFO.BITNET%IBOINFN.BITNET

I can redistribute GreatSPN if evidence of the author's permission
is presented. This may speed up things (Smail round-trip for a tape
to Italy isn't great), but leaves you with version 1.4 which may not
be the most recent.

--
   --  Andreas Nowatzyk  (DC5ZV)

   Carnegie-Mellon University	     agn@unh.cs.cmu.edu
   Computer Science Department       (412) 268-3617

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Apr 89 15:34:05 -0400
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu

[[Forwarded from comp.parallel -PAF]]

>From uflorida!gatech!mcnc!ece-csc!ncrcae!hubcap!usha%FSU.BITNET Sat Apr 15 15:28:41 EDT 1989
Article 588 of comp.parallel:
Newsgroups: comp.parallel
Subject: Distributed simulation
Date: 14 Apr 89 17:02:24 GMT
Sender: fpst@hubcap.clemson.edu

Hi

The following is a list of references on distributed simulation.  But
this has not been updated for the past two years.  David Jefferson has a
paper on 'Virtual Time'.  The following list may not be very readable;
sorry about that.  It came out of a survey paper that I wrote on
distributed simulation but never got to publish.  I used TeX to generate
the paper and hence it has the macro calls such as \createrefcode, \it
etc.  Hope you find it useful.

Usha Chandra