[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V9 N2

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (06/03/89)

Volume: 9, Issue: 2, Fri Jun  2 23:06:10 EDT 1989

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Event Unscheduling
(2) Conference on Modeling and Simulation on Microcomputers
(3) NETWORK II.5 for Multiprocessor Simulation

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'anonymous', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

To: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
Date: Wed, 31 May 89 12:12:54 PDT
From: Sanjai Narain <narain%pluto@rand.org>

Event unscheduling is a well known feature in discrete-event languages.
However, its behavior can be very hard to predict and reason about.  Is
this feature somehow fundamental?  Alternatively, is it possible to
schedule only those events which would never be unscheduled?  If so, we
could dispense with it and greatly simplify our models.

Any thoughts, particulary references to relevant literature would be
greatly appreciated.

Sanjai Narain
RAND Corp.

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
From: vijaykm%janus.Berkeley.EDU@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Vijay K. Madisetti)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Call for Papers: MSM'90
Date: 2 Jun 89 19:45:23 GMT
Sender: usenet@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU

   CONFERENCE ON MODELING AND SIMULATION ON MICROCOMPUTERS
          { part of Western Multiconference 1990 }

       Society for Computer Simulation International

                    January 16-18, 1990
              Town & Country Hotel, San Diego

                   FINAL  CALL FOR PAPERS

     The Conference on Modeling and Simulation on  Microcom-
puters,  Society  for Computer Simulation International, Jan
16-18, 1990, San Diego, CA. USA

     Papers, Panels  and  Tutorials  are  solicited  on  ALL
aspects of computer simulation, modeling and applications.

Special areas of interest:
1. Discrete event simulation, algorithms and implementation.
2. Continuous time simulations of systems.
3. Simulation in CAD
4. Simulation of communication and control systems.
5. Practical commercial and academic applications of modeling
  and simulation on microcomputers in engineering, business,
  finance, manufacturing industry, medicine and science.
6. Languages, methodologies and statistical packages and
  tools intended for computer simulation.
7. Distributed algorithms, parallel computation  and  neural
  systems.
8. Computer Graphics and Modeling.

     Proposals for panel  discussions  are  welcome.  Please
send 2 copies of complete paper (limited to six camera-ready
mats) or an extended abstract to the Program Chairman.

Deadlines:
1. June 15, 1989: Submission of papers  and  abstracts  to
Program  Chairman  for  review. Additional proposals will be
considered after this date if time and space allow.
2. Only original, unpublished papers will be accepted.
3. Notification of acceptance will be mailed by August 15,
1989.  Mailing of Author's Kit at this time.
4. Camera-ready papers due to the SCS  Office  by  September
30, 1989.

Chairman:   R. Wade Allen
Systems Technology, Inc.
13766 Hawthorne Blvd.
Hawthorne, CA 90250
(213)-679-2281

Program Chairman:  Vijay Madisetti
Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences,
University of California at Berkeley,
Berkeley, CA 94720.
(415)-642-1417
vijaykm@janus.berkeley.edu

  Pl. send all papers, abstracts and proposals by June 15, 1989, to

Vijay Madisetti
Program Chairman
Modeling and Simulation on Microcomputers 1990,
WMC'90
SCS International,
P.O. Box 17900, San Diego, CA 92117

------------------------------

Date:          Fri, 2 Jun 89 15:05 EDT
From: <ASELMA01%ULKYVX.BITNET@NERVM.NERDC.UFL.EDU> (Adel S. Elmaghraby)
Subject:       Response on simulating multiple processes
To: SIMULATION@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

> (3) Request: Multiple Processor Simulator
>
> From: rkumar%buddha.usc.edu@usc.edu (Ravikumar Chennagiri)
> Newsgroups: comp.simulation,comp.parallel
> Subject: Need to simulate multiprocessor
> Date: 27 May 89 18:46:43 GMT
>
> A friend of mine is looking for a Simulation Package
> which will enable him to simulate a
> multiple processor system. He only has access to
> Sun 3/50 computers and PCs (IBM and MacII).
> Are packages which meet his requirements?

 NETWORK II.5 from CACI will probably do the job and is available on
Suns and PCs, actually it is a very convenient to use package for such
an application. I have used it on the PC with animation and on a VAX
without animation. My advice is that it is worth considering. Note that a
$ 500 price for Universities makes it great but for industry I wouldn't
dare quote you it's cost.  Good Luck and looking forward to what others
have to say.

  Adel S. Elmaghraby      ASELMA01@ULKYVX.bitnet
  University of Louisville

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST