[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V9 N8

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (07/02/89)

Volume: 9, Issue: 8, Sat Jul  1 13:23:43 EDT 1989

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Event Unscheduling
(2) Can you Send P. Net?
(3) Shock Wave Simulation
(4) QSIM Simulation Toolkit now Available

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'anonymous', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Posted-Date: Thu, 29 Jun 89 17:58:48 CDT
Date: Thu, 29 Jun 89 17:58:48 CDT
From: steve@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Steve Glicker)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: "Unscheduling"

This is in reply to Sanjai Narain's comments on the separation of
"scheduling and unscheduling" from the "main model" in DES.

There seems to have been a questionable assumption made about
"unscheduling" *always* existing within the "main model" of a
classical, event scheduling DES.

In some of the simulators I have worked on (e.g., TEGAS 5, TEXSIM/B)
"unscheduling" was separated from the "main model" because it was
efficient (in these cases all models had similar characteristics) and
it simplified model development.

Currently, I am developing a real-time DES for distributed systems
modeling and, interestingly enough, it seems to make sense to isolate
"unscheduling" from the "main model".

I suspect that in general purpose, event scheduling DES languages
"unscheduling" is left entirely to the "user" because it must be
handled within a problem specific context.  In this case, though, I
don't see why one would assume that the "user" would not isolate
"unscheduling" operations from the "main model".

I would be interested in hearing comments, on this topic, from advocates
of process-oriented DES.

Steve Glicker
Applied Research Labs
Univ. TX. at Austin
(steve@mars.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu)

------------------------------

Via:        UK.AC.CITY.CS; 30 JUN 89 16:51:29 BST
From: M. Nejad-Sattary <mohammad%CS.CITY.AC.UK@NERVM.NERDC.UFL.EDU>
Date:       Fri, 30 Jun 89 16:52:54 +0100
To: fishwick@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject:    Petri Net Simulator

I've been told that there was a petri net simulator posted to the
 comp.simulation
news group. Unfortunately I missed it. Could someone email a copy to me or post
another copy to the news group. My email address on the UK Janet network is
mohammad@uk.ac.city.cs. Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 30 Jun 89 21:58:56 CDT
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
From: elwin@oddjob.uchicago.edu (Shin "AstroBoy" Kurokawa)
Subject: Re: SIMULATION DIGEST V9 N5
Newsgroups: comp.simulation

Hello!

 I just started reading this newgroup and noticed your "digest".
 I was wondering if anyone in this group is doing simulations of
 shock waves, especially of what follows after an intense
 explosion. I know that some people in the past have done a lot
 about the nuclear-bomb simulations and so forth, but I'm
 interested in finding out whether the members of this newsgroup
 might be doing them right now. My simulation is used towards
 the Big Bang nucleosynthesis theory development.

 Shin Kurokawa, a.k.a. AstroBoy   ------> elwin@oddjob.uchicago.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Jul 89 13:15:55 -0400
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: QSIM

I have downloaded the QSIM C Toolkit from Byte's ByteNet. I have not
tried compiling the code -- it seems to conform to ANSI C (this may
make it slightly incompatible with your C compiler). Please send
comments to the digest -- especially if you convert the source to
the more common (at least at the present time) C code. The code
and documentation are located in the /tools directory so you can FTP
them. See directions at the beginning of the digest.

-paul

 | Prof. Paul A. Fishwick.... INTERNET: fishwick@bikini.cis.ufl.edu       |
 | Dept. of Computer Science. UUCP: gatech!uflorida!fishwick              |
 | Univ. of Florida.......... PHONE: (904)-335-8036                       |
 | Bldg. CSE, Room 301....... FAX is available                            |
 | Gainesville, FL 32611.....                                             |

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST