[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V10 N3

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (08/01/89)

Volume: 10, Issue: 3, Tue Aug  1 09:13:27 EDT 1989

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Cellsim Simulator (Beta Version) Available
(2) Looking for General Purpose Simulation Software
(3) Conference Announcement

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'anonymous', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 89 21:09:26 MDT
From: cgl%cardinal@LANL.GOV (Chris Langton)
To: cellusrs%cardinal@LANL.GOV
Subject: cellsim_1.5 available via ftp

Cellsim_1.5 available for testing.

Version 1.5 of the Cellsim cellular automaton simulator for Sun
workstations is now available via anonymous ftp. This is a
window-based CA simulator allowing interactive specification,
editing, running, and analysis of 1- and 2-D CA's. It will
run on Sun-3's, -4's, and Sparc stations, color or B&W.

Version 1.5 is a beta-test for version 2.0 which we will
release at the end of the summer. Thus, unless you are desperate
for the black and white version in 1.5, you might wait for 2.0.
Of course, we are releasing 1.5 in the hopes that some people will
pick it up and pass us back suggestions or bug-reports.

Primary improvements over 1.0 are:

   1) black and white version using textures instead of colors.

   2) Margolus neighborhood has been added.

   3) most parameters remember previous settings so one doesn't
      have to reset them every time a function is selected.

   4) various bugs have been fixed, including:

         - proper random configuration generation.

         - closeup for 1-D CA's now zooms in on center of
           current configuration instead of on center of
           time-trace.

   5) images and transition tables can now be saved and loaded
      in compressed format.

   6) images can be saved in CAM6 format.

   7) more sample rules and images have been supplied, mostly illustrating
      the Margolus neighborhood.

   8) Default directories are allowed for Transition tables, Images,
      and Color-maps. These may be reset by changing an environment
      variable.

   9) zoom in/out buttons have been added to simplify magnification.

Features which will be supported in 2.0 which are not in 1.5 include:

  1) computed functions over 256 states: users will be able to write
     simple functions in C or Fortran which will compute the next state
     rather than use a look-up table. These will be dynamically linked
     from the simulator. This is a really useful feature which may
     slow down the simulation a bit, but greatly expands the range
     of applications of the simulator.

  2) user-specifiable neighborhood templates, which will allow
     arbitrary neighborhoods and the selection of arbitrary bits
     from each neighbor.

  3) a Connection Machine module which will interface Cellsim to
     a CM2, allowing arrays to be run, displayed and analyzed
     on the CM2.

     Together with the computed function and user-specified
     neighborhood facilities, this may ultimately be expanded into
     a more general tool for running locally determined, spatially
     distributed systems on the CM, allowing more complex models
     than one would want to embed in the CA formalism. Computed
     functions will probably have to be written in C/Paris.

  4) Laserwriter dump of array configurations.

  5) read/write rules in CAM6 format.

Obtaining V1.5:

A) FTP access on the internet:

  Cellsim_1.5 is available in compressed tar format via anonymous ftp
  from 128.165.96.120.

  create an appropriate directory on your own machine, then:

      ftp 128.165.96.120

      login as anonymous and give your email address as password

      cd to the "pub" directory

      set binary mode

      set hash marking if you want to see that the transfer is working

      get "cellsim_1.5.tar.Z"

      you should receive 169887 Bytes

      get out of ftp ("bye")

      uncompress cellsim_1.5.tar.Z

      untar cellsim_1.5.tar

      read the README, cell.doc, examples.doc, and V1.5.changes files
      for information on how to use the simulator.

B)  From Japan, you can try the internet access listed above, or you can
    contact Nobuyasu Osato, who should have a copy in a week or two (i.e.
    by mid-august):

        Nobuyasu Osato

	Room 5-112A
	Software Engineering Laboratory
	NTT Software Laboratories
	9-11 Midori-Cho 3-Chome
	Musashino-Shi, Tokyo 180
	Japan

	Phone:     0422-59-3668
	Email:     osato%ntt-20.ntt.jp@relay.cs.net (from ARPA)

C) In Europe, annonymous ftp access will be available from 130.236.1.3
   thanks to:

        Dr. P. Emanuelsson
        Dept. of Electrical Engineering
        University of Linkoping, Sweeden

        email: pell@isy.liu.se
        uunet: ...!uunet!enea!isy.liu.se!pell

D) Otherwise, if you REALLY want version 1.5, send me a 1/4"
   cassette tape or a reel tape specifying the preferred
   format (e.g. 1620 BPI for reels or whatever) and I will
   return a tar'd version of the simulator. Don't send any
   money! The service is free! If you can wait a month or
   so, and you aren't interested in testing 1.5, version
   2.0 will be out at the end of the summer (~mid-september).
   It should be worth the wait, as it will include the much
   more powerful computed function facility.

Any questions, queries, comments, flames, suggestions should be
mailed to:

Chris Langton

Center for Nonlinear Studies		Phone: 505-665-0059
MS B258					Email: cgl@LANL.GOV
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, New Mexico
87545

------------------------------

From: ethz!agraber@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Date: 27 Jul 89 12:14:23+0200
Subject: GPS Sim.SW for Workstation
To: <simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu>

For a lecture I am looking for a general purpose simulation SW (type SLAM II
/SIMAN) running on a worstation like :  >>> Macintosh II (1.PRIIORITY)
					    Sun worstations (2.priority)
					    IBM PS/2
If you know any SW of this type, or somebody who might know, please let me
know !!
Thank you for your help !

[[SLAM II and SIMAN both run on SUN workstations, and I believe that they
have PC packages as well. For lecturing purposes, you might want to consider
SMPL or CSIM. SMPL is available by FTP to our mailer machine, and CSIM
is available from Herb Schwetman at MCC. -PAF]]

Yours sincerely

K. Andre Graber

* Andre Graber : Institut fuer Operations Research (IFOR)                    *
*                ETHZ, Clausiusstr. 47, 8092 Zuerich                         *
*                Phone: +411 256 40 21 / 16  Fax +411 69 39 73               *
*                UUCP: ..mcvax!cernvax!ethz!agraber                          *

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 28 Jul 89 14:09:25 EDT
From: "Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E" <mchinni@PICA.ARMY.MIL>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject:  Conference announcement

  Dear Collegue,

  Planning is now underway for the 1990 Eastern Multi-Conference (EMC) on
  Computer Simulation sponsered by the Society for Computer Simulation,
  International (SCS). The 1990 EMC will be held April 23-27 in Nashville,
  Tennessee.  As chairman of the conference on Ballistics Simulation I am
  soliciting ideas, suggestions, and contributions for group leaders,
  panels, and papers. I would like to invite you to present a paper or to
  participate as a group leader, a session leader, or a session discussant.

  The 1990 EMC promises to be one of the best yet. The subject material
  runs the gamut of industrial, commercial, and government interests. As
  Ballistic Simulation Conference chairman I urge you to participate. I am
  interested in your ideas, your interests, and your active participation
  in what has come to be a premier event.

  Please, consider presenting a paper or participating as a group leader, a
  session leader, or a session discussant and if you have some good ideas,
  send them to me. Enclosed is an overview of the subject areas that I am
  looking for participation in.  If you are interested in any of these
  areas, please consider actively participating in the conference.  If you
  have any other areas that you would like to sponser, please send me a
  session proposal. If you know of others that may be interested in serving
  as a group leader, a session leader, or a session discussant, please pass
  this letter and enclosure on and let me know of their potential interest.
  Thank you again for your kind consideration.

                                  Sincerly,
                                  Michael J. Chinni
                                  Chair, Ballistics Simulation Conference
                                         for 1990 EMC

  CONFERENCE ON BALLISTICS SIMULATION
  All papers will deal with software technology for ballistics simulation.
  Papers and proposals for tutorials, panels, workshops and other special
  formats are solicited in all areas of ballistics simulation. Specific
  topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
          - Interior Ballistics
                  - Small armaments
                  - Artillery
                  - Tank weapons
                  - Naval weapons
                  - Aircraft and Helicopter weapons
          - Exterior Ballistics
                  - Vacuum Trajectory
                  - Simple Air Trajectory
                  - Six degree of freedom trajectory
                  - design for flight - finners and spinners
          - Terminal Ballistics
                  - Kinetic energy penetration
                  - Simulation of impact
                  - Energetic materials
                  - Shaped charges
                  - Jet penetration
                  - Fragmentation
  Other topics include:
          - Propulsion Dynamics
          - Launch Dynamics
          - Flight Dynamics
          - Warhead Mechanisms
          - Body Armor as related to Wound Ballistics
          - Weapon Identification
          - Gunnery Training

  Requirements and Deadlines
  Send your abstracts and/or session proposals on one side of a single 8.5"
  x 11" page to: Michael J. Chinni c/o 1990 Eastern Multiconference, SCS,
  P.O. Box 17900, San Diego, CA 92117, by AUGUST 31, 1989. Proposals
  received after that date will be considered as long as time and program
  space permit. Include full names, affiliations, addresses and phone
  numbers (office and home) for each author or participant. Attach, or copy
  business cards if available. Each abstract must include the title of the
  proposed paper with a short summary so that it may be properly positioned
  in the conference. Indicate on the page that the proposal and/or abstract
  is for the 1990 EMC - Conference on Ballistics Simulation

  Notification of acceptance or rejection will be sent on or about OCTOBER
  20, 1989.  For accepted papers an author's kit with complete instructions
  for manuscript preparation is included.  Participants receive
  instructions regarding conference attendance.

  Camera-ready copy of accepted papers and all other materials to be
  included in Conference Proceedings must be received at the SCS office by
  DECEMBER 15, 1989.  Only papers which have NOT been previously published
  or presented should be submitted.  Authors must obtain employer, client,
  or government releases prior to submittal of the final manuscript.

  Authors and other participants are expected to register early, at a
  reduced rate and to attend the Conference at their own expense to present
  accepted papers.

  For Further Information
  Anyone wishing further information can contact:
  Michael J. Chinni, Chair (Ballistics Simulation)
  ARDEC
  Attn: SMCAR-CCS-E, B. 350 Annex
  Picatinny Arsenal, New Jersey 07806-5000
  (201) 724-4140 (AV) 880-4140
  <mchinni@pica.army.mil>

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST