[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V11 N2

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (09/14/89)

Volume: 11, Issue: 2, Thu Sep 14 12:30:01 EDT 1989

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Qualitative Features
(2) Implementations of Time Warp
(3) How to Obtain AUTO Software
(4) Simulation and Modeling of Electronic Circuits

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 89 11:30:30 PDT
From: Ethan Scarl <ethane@atc.boeing.com>
To: valdes@B.GP.CS.CMU.edu
Subject: Qualitiative features
Cc: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

The most direct work I know of is Ken Yip's thesis work (e.g., "Genmerating
Global Behaviors using Deep Knowledge of Local Dynamics" in AAAI (Am. Assn. f.
Art. Intell.) 1988 p. 280).  You may want to look at the new collection of
papersw in qualitative physics, just published by Morgan Kaufmann, edited
by Dan Weld and Johan deKleer.

	Ethan

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Sep 89 22:19:36 +0300
From: dberry <dberry%TECHSEL.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu>
To: fishwick%fish.cis.ufl.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Re:  SIMULATION DIGEST V11 N1

There are several implementations of TW.
There is one at JPL, I believe that David Jefferson (jefferso@cs.ucla.edu)
will be able to tell whether it is public domain.
There is an implementation at the University of Calgary, I suppose
that Brian Unger or John Cleary will be able to tell what is the
status of this one (ihnp4!alberta!calgary!lomow is Greg Lomow's address
there and I believe that Brian's is "unger" replacing "lomow" and John's
is "cleary" replacing....).
There is also a simulation that I wrote in simula which simulates the
distributed system and on top of that implemented time warp with lazy
cancellation, at this point I have only the source code on paper, I have no
idea as to where the original tape is....
I am sure that there are additional implementations that I do not know about,
but the above references can help find one in an environment similar enough
to the one you have. Also, David Jefferson and the people from Calgary will
have by now a fair list of publications and dissertations on the topic.

Orna Berry (dberry@techsel.bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 13 Sep 89 10:05:48 -0400
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: AUTO Software

I recently mentioned some software for computing bifurcation points.
I could not obtain anything on how to obtain BIFPACK; however, I'll
include here what I know about AUTO:

-paul fishwick

From: Tom Fairgrieve <tff@na.toronto.edu>
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: re: Bifurcation-Related Software
Date: 	Thu, 24 Aug 89 15:49:51 EDT

The AUTO package was written by Eusebius Doedel and is available from:
  Applied Mathematics 217-50
  California Institute of Technology,
  Pasadena, CA.  91125

I believe the cost is $200.00.  You should also ask for the technical report:

 		Software for Continuation and Bifurcation Problems
		in Ordinary Differential Equations.

Prof. Doedel is now at a University in Montreal.  His address is

                        Computer Science Department
                        Concordia University
                        1455 de Maisonneuve Blvd. W.
                        Montreal, Quebec
                        CANADA

I know that AUTO is being used by many people. What sort of problems are
you interested in solving?

Tom Fairgrieve
tff@na.toronto.edu

From: Tom Fairgrieve <tff@na.toronto.edu>
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu
Date: 	Thu, 24 Aug 89 16:44:17 EDT

AUTO can solve ODEs expressed as boundary value problems, but it doesn't
solve initial value problems.  It can handle discrete dynamical systems too.
It comes with a graphics package which helps when trying to interpret all
of the numbers it produces.  The package does things like: plot a bifurcation
diagram, plot the solution to the ode for a given point on the diagram.

It's a very nice piece of software.

Tom.

 ------------------------------------
>From ru4c@hudson.acc.virginia.edu Fri Aug 25 20:20:19 1989
          25 Aug 89 20:20 EDT
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 89 20:19:59 -0400
From: uddin rizwan <ru4c@hudson.acc.virginia.edu>
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu
Newsgroups: comp.ai,comp.theory.dynamic-sys

i recently got the manual for AUTO from Caltech. I have yet to order the
(magnetic) tape from them. You can order AUTO from

                            Ms. S.K. Shull
                      Applied Mathematics, 217-50
                     California Inst. of Technology
                         Pasadena CA, 91125
                         Ph: (818) 256-4560

I know of another bifurcation package called BIFD (and BIFDD) that is
available on floppys from Dr. Brian Hassard at SUNY Buffalo. I think
he is in Applied Maths.
I would appreciate any information on BIFPACK. I've never heard of this.

Rizwan-uddin

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Sep 89 12:51:36 +0200
From: "Khaled Bettaieb" <hslrswi!bettaieb@mcsun.eu.net>
Return-Receipt-To: <hslrswi!bettaieb@mcsun.eu.net>
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: SIMULATION DIGEST V10 N8
Newsgroups: comp.simulation

Hi there:

I am new to the subject of computer simulation, and I would like
to have references (books,articles) of introductory litteratures
on the subject (more precisely simulation and modeling of electonic circuits).

If you know of or ran across a book or article that you think is
interesting, I would appreciate if you send me its reference.

many thankx.
                                             Sincerely,

                                             Khaled Bettaieb

Address : Khaled Bettaieb