[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V11 N5

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (09/28/89)

Volume: 11, Issue: 5, Thu Sep 28 08:32:09 EDT 1989

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Simulation and Training Devices
(2) Inquiry: A Historical Account of Simulation
(3) Machine Dreams

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date: 22 Sep 89 14:07:00 EDT
From: "Robert  Breaux" <breaux@ntsc-74.navy.mil>
Subject: REsponse to Steve Glicker
To: "simulation" <simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu>

The Interservice/Industry Training Systems Conference (I/ITSC) is sponsored
alternately each year by National Security Industrial Association (NSIA)
and American Defense Preparedness Association (ADPA).  This year it is
at Tarrant county Convention Center, Ft. Worth, Nov 13-16, expecting about
1200 attendees.  I/ITSC promotes cooperation among the military,
industrial and academic communities in the joint pursuit of improved
training programs, identification of common training issues and development
of multi-service and academic programs and solutions.  Initiated in 1966
as the Naval Training Device Center/Industry Conference, increased
participation from the Air Force, Army and Marine Corps, plus Europe,
led to the first I/ITSC in 1979.  Additional info is available fromn
ADPA, Rosslyn Center, Suite 900, 1700 N. Moore Street, Arlington, VA
22209.

------------------------------

Posted-Date: Tue, 26 Sep 89 08:36:18 CDT
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 89 08:36:18 CDT
From: steve@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu (Steve Glicker)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Inquiry: a historical account of simulation

I am interested in a historical account of simulation, particularly
digital computer simulation.  Any references or tips would be
appreciated.  If there is interest I will post the responses to
this inquiry.

Steve Glicker
Applied Research Laboratories
The University of Texas at Austin
(steve@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Sep 89 09:44:24 -0400
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: machine dreams

Well, we are one of the "eight big ideas of the eighties"!! Check out
the article in Discover Magazine, October 1989, entitled "Machine
Dreams". Here is an excerpt:

  "Science is generally conceived of as a dialogue between theory and
   experiment, but in recent years a third party has joined the
   conversation. The intruder is computer simulation, and it proposes
   nothing less than a new method of discovering truth - a way of
   understanding the world by re-inventing it. In the 1980s this third
   way of doing science has penetrated most areas of research..."

-pf
 | Prof. Paul A. Fishwick.... INTERNET: fishwick@bikini.cis.ufl.edu       |
 | Dept. of Computer Science. UUCP: gatech!uflorida!fishwick              |
 | Univ. of Florida.......... PHONE: (904)-335-8036                       |
 | Bldg. CSE, Room 301....... FAX is available                            |
 | Gainesville, FL 32611.....                                             |

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST