[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V11 N9

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (10/19/89)

Volume: 11, Issue: 9, Wed Oct 18 15:56:55 EDT 1989

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) RE: SPICE Availability
(2) SCS Session: Simulation and Information Systems
(3) History of Simulation
(4) Broadcast Local Area Network Simulation

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date: Tue, 10 Oct 89 12:25:42 PDT
From: jaijeet@ic.Berkeley.EDU (Jaijeet Roychowdhury)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: RE: Spice Availability

The latest version of spice is spice3c.1, coded in C. The code is available,
but foreign users may have to obtain clearance from the Dept. of Commerce.
For further details contact:

Cindy Manly-Fields
479 Cory Hall
UC Berkeley
Berkeley CA 94720

and/or

EECS/ERL Industrial Support Office
253 Cory Hall
UC Berkeley
Berkeley CA 94720

------------------------------

To: hp4nl!comp-simulation@relay.EU.net
From: dutrun!winfave@relay.EU.net (Alexander Verbraeck)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Special session SCS'90 Calgary: SIMULATION and INFORMATION SYSTEMS
Date: 12 Oct 89 14:32:45 GMT

                SPECIAL SESSION SCS'90 CALGARY
              SIMULATION AND INFORMATION SYSTEMS

                   QUICK REACTION REQUIRED!

We, Alexander Verbraeck and Folkert Wierda, have been asked to
organize and chair one or more sessions at the forthcoming Summer
Computer Simulation Conference, to be held in Calgary, July 16 - 18,
1990. The group which these sessions will be parts of is titled
'Advanced Information Processing & Simulation', and is chaired by
Dr. Eugene Kerckhoffs.

We have chosen to center our sessions around the topic 'Simulation
and Information Systems'. We would like to discuss the use of
simulation and modelling in problem solving (DSS, ES, design of
information systems, etc.). We try to have theoretical papers, as
well as technical papers on 'modelling environments', and at least
one contribution on experiences with or research on the use of
simulation and modelling in problem solving.

If you are working in the field described above, we would appreciate
you submitting a paper for one of these sessions, and presenting it
at the conference in Calgary. Please contact us as soon as possible
on your decision to participate in our session or not, so we can
proceed with the preparations. If you would like to participate in
the session, but are not able to present a paper, please let us know
if you would be prepared to act as a moderator or discusser.

If you are to submit a paper for our sessions on 'Simulation and
Information Systems', please note the following (tight) time
schedule:

- October 20:         Last date to send us your notification of acceptance
                      and working title of your paper.

- November 10:        Abstract should be present at Delft University of
                      Technology. This abstract should contain the title,
                      the author's name and addresses (work and private)
                      phone numbers (work, secretary and private), E-mail
                      numbers, Fax numbers, and an abstract of your paper
                      of approximately 300 words. After receiving and
                      refereeing the paper, we'll send a notification of
                      acceptance and an author kit.

- February 15:        Full camera-ready paper should be present at Delft
                      University of Technology. This paper should NOT exceed
                      the length of 6 pages. If it does anyway, $75 per
                      extra page will be charged by the organization in
                      order to keep the costs of the proceedings limited.

If you have any questions concerning this request, or concerning the
conference, please contact us AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. We look forward
to having you in our sessions.

Sincerely,

Folkert W. Wierda,
Alexander Verbraeck

Folkert W. Wierda                  Alexander Verbraeck
Delft University of Technology     Delft University of Technology
Dept. of Information Systems       Dept. of Information Systems
P.O. Box 356                       P.O. Box 356
2600 AJ  Delft                     2600 AJ  Delft
The Netherlands                    The Netherlands

phone: +31 - (15)785811            phone: +31 - (15)783805
E-mail: winffww@hdetud1.BITNET     E-mail: winfave@hdetud1.BITNET
  or  : winffww@dutrun.UUCP          or  : winfave@dutrun.UUCP
  or  : winffww@dutrun.tudelft.nl    or  : winfave@dutrun.tudelft.nl
fax: +31 - (15)787022              fax: +31 - (15)787022
Telex: 38151 bhtud nl              telex: 38151 bhtud nl

------------------------------

Date:          Fri, 13 Oct 89 12:38 EDT
From: <ASELMA01%ULKYVX.BITNET@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu> (Adel S. Elmaghraby)
Subject:       SIMULATION DIGEST /History of simulation
To: SIMULATION@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

 I remember someone was asking about HISTORY of SIMULATION so I am posting
a reference to a 1966 article on that very same topic, the author is
professor V. C. Rideout (currentle emiretus) from University of Wisconsin -
Madison and he was my dissertation advisor.

" Continuous System Simulation - Present Programs and Future Possibilities",
by V.C. Rideout, from the Proceedings of IBM Scientific Computing Symposium on
Digital Simulation of Continuous Systems, held on June 20-22 1966, at the
Thomas J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Heights, N. Y.
 The paper refers to early efforts such as DDA MADBLOC, FORBLOC, and  MIDAS -
Rideout refers to "digital" simulation then as a "young man's game", I know he
currently uses ACSL on a PC and he is still "young".
 If any body is interested please send me your mail address for a copy.
A. S. Elmaghraby
ASELMA01@ulkyvx.bitnet

------------------------------

From: r p gordon <eegordon%pyramid.swansea.ac.uk@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 89 18:55:47-0000
To: simulation%uflorida.cis.ufl.edu@NSFNET-RELAY.AC.UK

Hi,

  We should like to hear from anyone who is looking into the simulation of
  bus-based (broadcast) local area networks using distributed (multiprocessor)
  techniques.

  Can anyone cite any references particular to this subject area?

Thanks in advance,

     Ray Gordon,                         Please E-mail directly to:
     University College of Swansea,          eegordon@pyr.swan.ac.uk
     Swansea, UK.

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST