[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V13 N4

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (01/09/90)

Volume: 13, Issue: 4, Tue Jan  9 08:24:48 EST 1990

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Motor Simulation
(2) European Simulation Research/Airbus
(3) Workshop: Model-Based Diagnosis

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu, login as
  'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

To: comp-simulation@crdgw1.ge.com
From: harrison@sunny.dab.ge.com (Gregory Harrison)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Motor Simulation
Date: 4 Jan 90 16:41:06 GMT
Sender: news@ge-dab.ge.com

Hi:

  Could anyone please suggest a good reference on real time
computer simulation of a nonlinear DC motor and gear train?
I have an ACSL model of the system, and a system block
diagram in the Laplace domain, but there are many inter-
connecting paths and three nonlinear functions.  The
nonlinear functions are modeled as digitized points off
of a graph, and I plan to interpolate into them.

  The simulation is being written in BASIC, ugh.  At least
its HP BASIC.  Some IO is being performed.

  I am planning to calculate the current state of the system
through all the paths up to each integrator, then perform a
simple Euler integration, and loop in this manner.  It seems
like a Runge-Kutta would consume too much time.  Accuracy
in the simulation would be paramount, but time is of
general concern.

  If anyone could suggest a reference, or give a tip, or
suggest a better approach I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you,

Greg Harrison
(904)239-2048

My opinions are not intended to reflect those of GE.

------------------------------

To: uunet.uu.net!comp-simulation@lll-crg.llnl.gov
From: well!bluefire@lll-crg.llnl.gov (Bob Jacobson)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: Inquiry regarding Airbus program.
Date: 6 Jan 90 19:23:06 GMT

I would like to request information regarding European simulation
research, particularly with regard to the Airbus program.  All of
my research sources begin and end with North American efforts,
which I do not believe exhaust the field.  Thank you for any leads
you may supply.
--
BOB JACOBSON, Associate Director, Human Interface Technology Laboratory
       University of Washington (FU-20), Seattle, WA 98195 USA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Jan 90 09:56 PST
From: Walter Hamscher <pwtc!hamscher@labrea.stanford.edu>
Subject: Diagnosis Workshop
To: simulation-request@ufl.edu

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

       International Workshop on Principles of Diagnosis
	  Menlo Park, California, July 23-24-25, 1990

			Call for Papers

This workshop encourages intensive and high quality interaction
and cooperation among researchers with a diversity of artificial
intelligence approaches to diagnosis.  Attendance will be
limited to thirty participants, with fifteen presentations
spread over three days.  Substantial time will be reserved for
discussion.

To attend, participants should submit extended abstracts or
short papers to be reviewed by the committee.  Submissions are
welcomed in the areas of:

- Approaches to modeling and diagnosing both engineered and
  natural systems, especially analog and large scale systems

- Theoretical aspects of deductive and abductive diagnosis

- Strategies for controlling diagnostic reasoning to prevent
  combinatorial explosion

Please limit your submissions to 3000 words.  Accepted papers
can be revised and expanded for compilation and distribution to
the workshop participants.  Although work published elsewhere is
acceptable, new original work is preferred.

Please send four copies of each submission to the chairman at
the postal address below.  Please include several ways of
contacting the principal author in addition to a postal address:
electronic mail addresses, FAX, and telephone numbers are
preferred, in that order.  Please indicate with your submission
whether you wish to make a presentation or only to attend; in
the case of multiple authors please indicate which authors wish
to participate.

Submissions received after 30 March 1990 will not be considered.
The decisions of the committee will be mailed 25 May 1990.

Chairman: Walter Hamscher
          Price Waterhouse Technology Centre
          68 Willow Road, Menlo Park, CA 94025
          E-mail: hamscher@pw.com or wch@ai.ai.mit.edu
          Telephone: (415) 688-6669

Committee: Randall Davis (MIT), Johan de Kleer (Xerox), Judea
           Pearl (UCLA), Olivier Raiman (IBM), James Reggia
           (U of Maryland), Ray Reiter (U of Toronto), Peter
           Struss (Siemens), Peter Szolovits (MIT), and Brian
           Williams (Xerox).

This workshop is sponsored by AAAI and Price Waterhouse.

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST