[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V15 N2

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (04/10/90)

Volume: 15, Issue: 2, Mon Apr  9 17:24:50 EDT 1990

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) REPORT: Data Flow in High Level Design
(2) SURVEY: Time Warp Simulation
(3) Complete Simulation Digest Index

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

From: Wolfgang Mueller <cadlab!wolfgang@relay.EU.net>
Subject: DATA FLOW IN HIGH-LEVEL DESIGN
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 90 12:41:31 MET DST

Regarding to my request for information about data flow in high-level
design I have received the following replies.

Thanks,
	wolfgang

-----------------------

There are several books on the topic.  The first one listed below
is considered a classic by many.  The others are directed toward
real-time systems (which are of interest to me) but contain
information that is generally useful.

DeMaraco, T. (1979).  "Structured Analysis and System Specification,"
New York: Prentice-Hall Inc.

Ward, P.T., Mellor, S.J. (1985). "Structured Development of
Real-Time Systems," 3 Vols., New York: Prentice-Hall Inc.

Hately, D.J., Pirehai, I. (1988).  "Strategies for Real-Time
Specification," Dorset House.

This last one takes up where the first reference leaves off,

Page-Jones, Meilir, (1980). "The Practical Guide to Structured System
Design," New York: Prentice-Hall Inc.

-----------------------

I am not a designer ..., therefore I have got no experience in especially
this field. We are also missing a unique representation of the design cycle.
Attending a VHDL-meeting I spoke with some representatives of industry, DoD
and universities and I got the following impression:

Theoretically the highest level is the design of a requirement specification.
The process of decomposition downto the 1. design (algorithm) is full of gaps,
e.g. HW/SW partition.
In progressive industry early design phases - specification of design goals,
a first logical partition, selection of algorithms - also only exist in mind or
are some scrawls on several papers. It is not usual that there exist any
internal papers about design methodology. The first documents appear as a poor
requirement specification, the first formalized document mainly appears as an
algoritmic or register-transfer description.

I guess Computer Design has recently published an article about the
pratical usage of CASE/CAE tools.

Regards
	XXXXXXXXX
-----------------------
---
| Wolfgang Mueller  |       Tel.  : (+49) (+) 5251-284 123		   |
| CADLAB 	    |       Fax   : (+49) (+) 5251-284 140		   |
| Bahnhofstr. 32    |       E-Mail: wolfgang@cadlab.uucp    		   |
| D-4790 Paderborn  |        	    wolfgang@cadlab.cadlab.de	           |
| FRG    	    |               ...!uunet!unido!cadlab!wolfgang        |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 90 13:20:22 -0700
From: liny@cs.washington.edu (Yi-Bing Lin)
To: fishwick@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: A Time Warp simulator survey

The following is a survey of several Time Warp simulators.

Jason (Yi-Bing Lin)
Dept. of CS & E
Univ. of Washington
Seattle, WA 98195

1. Name: Haven't really picked one.
2. Author/Company/Institute: Georgia Tech (Richard M. Fujimoto)
3. Environment: BBN Butterfly
4. Implementation issues:
   a. Message preemption: no (actually, sort of- done in S/W)
   b. Cancellation strategy (aggressive/lazy): user selects one or the other
   c. GVT algorithm: barrier synchronization
   d. Processor scheduling: smallest timestamp first
   e. Process assignment: static
   f. Others: Uses direct cancellation, a shared-memory optimization
5. References:
   1. R. Fujimoto, Time Warp on a Shared Memory Multiprocessor,
	International Conference on Parallel Processing, August, 1989.
	(also submitted to Transaction of the SCS).
   2. R. Fujimoto, Performance of Time Warp Under Synthetic Workloads,
	1990 Distributed Simulation Conference, Jan. 1990.

1. Name:  OLPS
2. Author/Company/Institute: Stanford/Virginia Tech Dept. of CS (Marc Abrams)
3. Environment: Firefly (in progress:  Sequent, then Hypercube)
4. Implementation issues:
   a. Message preemption: no.
   b. Cancellation strategy: modified aggressive (See WSC 88 paper)
	    (Rather than send one antimessage for each outdated
	    message whose effects are being undone in the can-
	    cellation step, we send a single message interpreted
	    to mean "annihilate all messages from this source
	    whose time stamp is >= my time stamp"
   c. GVT algorithm: See WSC 88 paper
   d. Processor scheduling: smallest timestamp first
   e. Process assignment: static
	process migration mechanism is being implemented;
        user can select the policy.  See WSC 90 paper.
5. References
   1. M. Abrams "The Object Library for Parallel Simulation"
	   Proc. WSC 88.  (Dec 88, San Diego) 210-219
   2. M. Abrams "A Common Programming Structure for Bryant-
	   Chandy-Misra, Time-Warp, and Sequential Simulators"
	   Proc. WSC 90.  (Dec 89, Washington)
6. Note:  Portions of OLPS are being rewritten during
   its port to the Sequent.  Hence OLPS is not currently
   available for distribution.

  MDA903-86-C-0059.
2. Author: The RAND Corporation, in particular: Dr. Jed Marti (Principal
  Investigator), Chris Burdorf, Prof. John Fitch (University of Bath),
  Bruce Florman (now at Texas Instruments), Barbara Gates (now at MIT),
  Dr. Tony Hearn, Professor Julian Padget (University of Bath), Dr.
  Tyoshi Yamamoto (University of Hokkaido).
3. Environment: Heterogeneous UNIX Workstations connected by LAN (SUN 3's,
  SUN 4's, HP 300's). Execution environment is Lisp.
4. Implementation Issues:
  a) Message Preemption. Not available.
  b) Cancellation Strategy. Both aggressive and lazy cancellation were
    implemented. The appropriate strategy is selected at load time.
  c) GVT Algorithm. Two were implemented: a token ring and two phase. The
    token ring was dropped after 2 years for simplicities sake.
  d)Processor Scheduling. 10 algorithms were implemented (a paper has been
    submitted for publication in a conference by the author).
  e) Process Assignment. Static load balancing is done by process weight
    either set by the programmer, or computed indirectly as part of a
    global, interprocedural data flow analysis. Static balancing also
    takes into account processor power, memory size, and paging speed.
    Dynamic load balancing based on GVT advance rate among other measures
    (a paper is in progress). We have seen a factor of 9 improvement over
    straight static balancing.
  f)Others
    1) I/O We have mechanisms for multiple simultaneous interactive
       inputs, file I/O, X windows, GKS, and STARBASE graphics, and many
       graphical performance monitors.
    2) Priority Request. A mechanism for retrieval of remote object
       values (pull rather than push).
    3) Extended Virtual Time. We separate simulation virtual time
       from computation virtual time.
    4) Storage Management. We implemented both object and queue
       based storage management for flow control. The results were
       inconclusive. Storage management of the future is part of this
       mechanism.
    5) Language. We implemented a high level language and attempted to
       have identical semantics between single processor simulations and
       Time Warp Simulations.

References.
@INPROCEEDINGS{Marti:88a,
  AUTHOR = "Jed Marti",
  TITLE = "{RISE}: The {RAND} Integrated Simulation Environment",
  BOOKTITLE = "Distributed Simulation",
  EDITOR = "Brian Unger, David Jefferson",
  PUBLISHER = "{Simulation Councils, Inc.}",
  ADDRESS = "San Diego, California",
  VOLUME = 19, NUMBER = 3, YEAR = 1988}
@INPROCEEDINGS{Gates:88,
  AUTHOR = "Barbara Gates and Jed Marti",
  TITLE = "{An Empirical Study of Time Warp Request Mechanisms}",
  BOOKTITLE = "Distributed Simulation",
  EDITOR = "Brian Unger, David Jefferson",
  PUBLISHER = "{Simulation Councils, Inc.}",
  ADDRESS = "San Diego, California", VOLUME = 19, NUMBER = 3, YEAR = 1988}
@INPROCEEDINGS{Burdorf:89,
  AUTHOR = "Christopher Burdorf and John Fitch and
	Jed Marti and Julian Padget",
  TITLE = "A Multiprocessor Execution Profiler",
  YEAR = 1989,
  BOOKTITLE = "Proceedings of the Twenty-Second Annual
	Hawaii International Conference on System Science",
  PAGES = "524-532",
  PUBLISHER = "The Computer Society of the IEEE",
  ADDRESS = "Washington, DC",
  MONTH = "January"}

1. Name: Time Warp Operating System (TWOS)
2. Author/Company/Institute: Jefferson(UCLA)/Reiher(JPL)/Beckman(JPL)
3. Environment :
	BBN Butterfly GP1000 (87 nodes) running Chrysalis or Mach
	JPL Mark III Hypercube (64 nodes) running Mercury kernel
4. Implementation issues:
   a. Message preemption: YES
   b. Cancellation strategy:
			either lazy or aggressive, but lazy default
   c. GVT algorithm: Bellenot's algorithm
   d. Process scheduling: preemptive lowest virtual time first
   e. Process assignment: static;
		experimental dynamic load management version works, but not
		released yet; migrates "phases", not processes;
		balances "effective utilization" statistic
   f. TWOS written in C
      applications also written in C (so far)
5. References:
   1. Jefferson, et al., 1987. "The Time Warp Operating System",
        11 Symposium on Operating Systems Principles.

1. Name: TWOODS-Time Warp Object Oriented Distributed Simulation
2. Author/Company/Institute: (e.g., JPL) Jon Agre and Pete Tinker
	Rockwell International Science Center
	1049 Thousand Oaks, CA 91360
3. Environment: (e.g., Hypercube) Ethernet connected, network of about 10 SUN
   workstations, Ethernet connected, network of Silicon Graphics workstations,
   both using UNIX, and a port to BBN Butterfly using Mach currently in
   progress.  The system is programmed in C++, and the application simulation
   objects are subclassed from a system Time Warp object.  We employ TCP/IP
   communication using Unix sockets.
4. Implementation issues:
   a. Message preemption: No, pending messages are distributed at each
      pass through the scheduler following processing of an event message.
   b. Cancellation strategy: aggressive (lazy being developed)
   c. GVT algorithm: Token-based, a la Preiss.
   d. Processor scheduling: Object with smallest
      timestamp first at each node, except for objects that are in a blocked
      state such as for a pending query message or a pending non-retractable
      event (that is delayed until it equals GVT).
   e. Process assignment (e.g., static, dynamic, etc.):  Static.  We have a
      single process per node system that schedules the simulation objects
      on the node. Objects are created dynamically and are statically placed
      on a node specified by the application program or by a simple automatic
      scheme that goes round robin.  Once placed, an object remains on that
      node.  We are currently implementing a process migration scheme and
      intend to provide load balancing.
   f. Others
	Transparent messaging between objects
	Dynamic Object Creation and Deletion
	Distributed Query-value capability
	Distributed Cancellation
	General, non-retractable events that are delayed until GVT
5. References:
 1. J. R. Agre and L. P. Clare, "Performance Modeling of Time Warp
   Distributed Simulations,'' IEEE MIDCON 88, Dallas, TX, August, 1988, pp.
   180-183.
 2. J. R. Agre, "Simulation of Time Warp Distributed Simulations,'' SCS
   Eastern Multiconference on Distributed Simulation,Tampa, FL, March, 1989,
   pp. 85-94.
 3. P. A. Tinker and J. R. Agre, "The Rollback Machine: Painless Parallel
   Programming,'' Rockwell Software Engineering Symposium (SES) III, Dallas,
   TX, October, 1989, pp. 6.2.1-6.2.13.
 4. J. R. Agre and P. A. Tinker, "Fundamental Rollback Machine Algorithms,''
   Rockwell Science Center Technical Report SC-89-05, Thousand Oaks, CA,
   June, 1988.
 5. P. A Tinker and J. R. Agre, "Object Handling, Messaging, and State
   Manipulation in a Time Warp System,'' SCS Eastern Multiconference on
   Distributed Simulation, Tampa, FL, March , 1989, pp. 79-84.
 6. J. R. Agre, A. Johnson, P. A. Tinker, S. Vopova, "Time Warp Object
   Oriented Distributed Simulation System (TWOODS),'' Rockwell Software
   Engineering Symposium (SES) III, Dallas, TX, October, 1989, pp. 9.2.1-9.2.13.
 7. J. R. Agre and P. A Tinker, "Implementation of Distributed Query
   Messages in a Time Warp Environment,'' Rockwell Science Center Technical
   Report, Thousand Oaks, CA, June, 1989.
 8. J. R. Agre and D. Agrawal, "Recovering From Process Failures in the
   Time Warp Mechanism,'' 8-th Annual Symposium on Reliable Distributed
   Systems, Seattle, WA, Oct., 1989, pp. 53-61.
 9. J.  R.  Agre and P.  A. Tinker  "Current Research in Distributed
   Simulation,'' Rockwell Software Engineering Symposium (SES) II,  Long
   Beach, CA, April, 1988.
 10. P. A Tinker and J. R. Agre, "Adaptive Model Prediction Using Time
   Warp,''  To appear SCS Western Multiconference on Distributed Simulation,
   San Diego, CA, Jan., 1990.

6. Others
	Random scheduling algorithm for testing of rollback on single node
	Our plan for the coming year is to implement process migration for use
	in load balancing and an on-the-fly process recovery mechanism that
	will handle failed processes.  Also, we are working on a flow control
	scheme that will slow down objects using too much memory (similar to
	message sendback by Gafni).
	Several large test simulations are under development including a
	network of queues-like distributed system simulator, a multiprocessor
	simulator, and a space-war model.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Apr 90 17:21:48 -0400
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: Complete Digest Index

Readers:
 Here is the complete digest index starting with the first archived
issue (Volume 4, Issue 10) in Sept. 1988. All archived issues may be
FTP'ed according to the instructions issued above (in the header).

-paul fishwick

--------------------------------
  INDEX For Simulation Digest
--------------------------------
Starting with Volume 4, Issue 10
--------------------------------

Volume: 4, Issue: 10, Fri Sep 16 09:13:16 EDT 1988

(1) ISPS under UNIX...
(2) Chaotic System Behavior

Volume: 5, Issue: 1, Fri Sep 16 17:17:13 EDT 1988

(1) Non-Linear System Behavior
(2) State and Change/ Continuous Actions

Volume: 5, Issue: 2, Mon Sep 19 11:31:33 EDT 1988

SPECIAL ISSUE: Commonsense Reasoning/Continuous Actions

Volume: 5, Issue: 3, Wed Sep 21 12:30:26 EDT 1988

(1) Real-Time O/S Kernels
(2) ATM Node Simulator
(3) State and Change...continued

Volume: 5, Issue: 4, Fri Sep 23 09:22:15 EDT 1988

(1) Neural Net Simulations for HVAC?
(2) Network Simulation on the MAC?
(3) Qualitative Dynamics and QP Theory
(4) Re: State and Change

Volume: 5, Issue: 5, Tue Sep 27 09:06:20 EDT 1988

(1) Model Approximation and Simplification
(2) PhD Programs for Simulation?
(3) IEEE News Group (Votes Requested)
(4) Digest Archives are now available!

Volume: 5, Issue: 6, Mon Oct  3 11:37:43 EDT 1988

(1) Call for Papers: Summer Computer Simulation Conf.
(2) A Selection of PhD Programs in Simulation
(3) Prelim. Program: Asilomar Conference
(4) Request for Network Simulator Info.
(5) Knowledge-Based Simulation Languages

Volume: 5, Issue: 7, Tue Oct  4 09:25:28 EDT 1988

(1) Battle Simulation
(2) Simulation at the Colorado State University
(3) Simulation at the University of Florida

Volume: 5, Issue: 8, Fri Oct  7 15:27:59 EDT 1988

(1) Simulation at the Georgia Institute of Technology
(2) Rochester Connectionist Simulator Info.

Volume: 5, Issue: 9, Fri Oct 14 11:53:14 EDT 1988

(1) Simulation in Computer Networks
(2) Congress on Cybernetics and Systems
(3) MIRRORS/II Connectionist Simulator Available
(4) ACM Journal in Simulation

Volume: 5, Issue: 10, Thu Oct 20 22:57:03 EDT 1988

(1) Simulation in Computer Networks
(2) Implementing the Tin Soldier Algorithm
(3) A Response to ACM Journal Concept

Volume: 6, Issue: 1, Sat Oct 22 23:43:43 EDT 1988

SPECIAL TOPIC: 2 Comments re: ACM Transactions on Simulation

Volume: 6, Issue: 2, Tue Oct 25 19:11:37 EDT 1988

(1) ACM Transactions/Regular Officer Elections
(2) QUERY: INSITE Software Availability
(3) Administrative: Digest Shipment Frequency...

Volume: 6, Issue: 3, Thu Oct 27 10:35:40 EDT 1988

(1) Network Simulation
(2) Continuous Simulation on Transputers
(3) Looking for ISP and BLISS Compiler
(4) "Computer Simulation of Dynamic Systems" - new book
(5) Simulation for Open-Ended Chains?

Volume: 6, Issue: 4, Mon Oct 31 13:53:28 EST 1988

(1) Looking for PD Discrete Event Routines
(2) Simulation Languages as Program Generators
(3) The SIMAN Module Processor (long message)

Volume: 6, Issue: 5, Wed Nov  2 13:00:30 EST 1988

(1) Packages for Transonic Flow?
(2) PC Based Simulation Packages?
(3) Simulation of Railway Operations?
(4) John Conway Lecture at JVNC
(5) Aloha Simulator Wanted

Volume: 6, Issue: 6, Wed Nov  9 08:45:47 EST 1988

(1) Formation of IEEE News Group
(2) INSITE Software Query
(3) Journal -- Mathematics and Computers in Simulation (IMACS)
(4) SIMULATION DIGEST Magazine

Volume: 6, Issue: 7, Mon Nov 21 15:10:18 EST 1988

(1) Random Number Generators
(2) NSF Workshop at Bucknell University
(3) TimeWarp Approach

Volume: 6, Issue: 8, Tue Nov 29 09:12:10 EST 1988

(1) Course in Dynamical Systems
(2) DESIRE Software and Book for Dynamic Systems
(3) Query: Distributed Process Simulation

Volume: 6, Issue: 9, Tue Dec  6 09:26:45 EST 1988

(1) Protein Modeling at JvNC
(2) Random Numbers

Volume: 6, Issue: 10, Thu Dec 15 09:25:22 EST 1988

(1) Approaches to Generating Random Numbers
(2) Seeking Visiting Position...
(3) Call for Papers
(4) Transistor Models Wanted

Volume: 7, Issue: 1, Mon Dec 19 09:24:00 EST 1988

(1) ACM's 1989 Computer Conference
(2) Random Number Generators
(3) Looking for PD Simulation Program
(4) IEEE News Group Created

Volume: 7, Issue: 2, Mon Jan  9 09:12:57 EST 1989

(1) Genetic Algorithms
(2) Supercomputing/Numerical Aerodynamics Simulation Division
(3) Looking for BNF Grammar for SPICE
(4) Electronic Mail Address for SIMULA

Volume: 7, Issue: 3, Thu Jan 12 16:26:36 EST 1989

(1) Call for Papers - WSC 1989
(2) SIMULA Availability
(3) Where to get Lund Simula
(4) More About SIMULA
(5) Response: E-MAIL address for SIMULA
(6) Info. on utility of SIMULA

Volume: 7, Issue: 4, Fri Jan 20 14:58:48 EST 1989

(1) Continuous Simulation on the MAC
(2) Monte Carlo Simulation for IBM PC
(3) New Policy on Job Announcements (long)

Volume: 7, Issue: 5, Mon Jan 23 17:15:43 EST 1989

SPECIAL ISSUE: Dynamical Systems Software and Textbooks

Volume: 7, Issue: 6, Mon Jan 30 12:04:12 EST 1989

(1) DES Interacting with a Computer Network
(2) Transients in Computer Network Simulation
(3) Equations for Aircraft Flight
(4) TENCON - IEEE International Conference in India
(5) TENCON - Communications Networking

Volume: 7, Issue: 7, Mon Feb  6 13:43:17 EST 1989

(1) Multi-Processing Computer System Modeling
(2) Architecture Modelling
(3) Course: Computer Aided and Model Based Techniques
(4) IMACS Calendar of Events

Volume: 7, Issue: 8, Tue Feb 14 16:33:43 EST 1989

(1) Multi-Processor and Network Simulation
(2) Multi-Processor Simulation
(3) Random Number Generation Validation

Volume: 7, Issue: 9, Wed Feb 22 12:34:28 EST 1989

(1) System Specification Languages
(2) NEST Simulation Software
(3) Network Simulation Programs

Volume: 7, Issue: 10, Tue Feb 28 13:19:29 EST 1989

(1) Distributed Simulation Conference
(2) References to Genetic Algorithms
(3) Optimization via Simulation

Volume: 8, Issue: 1, Fri Mar  3 09:38:47 EST 1989

(1) Starting a NEST Mailing List
(2) New Book on Genetic Algorithms
(3) Response Surface Techniques

Volume: 8, Issue: 2, Tue Mar 14 09:24:44 EST 1989

(1) Real Time Simulation with Ada
(2) IJCAI: Model Based Reasoning Workshop

Volume: 8, Issue: 3, Fri Mar 17 09:48:37 EST 1989

(1) Call for Papers: IFIP Working Conference
(2) IJCAI: Fourth AI and Simulation Workshop
(3) Univ. of Arizona: AI & Simulation Group

Volume: 8, Issue: 4, Thu Apr  6 11:22:10 EDT 1989

(1) Petri Net Analysis Tools
(2) Blackboard Architectures in Simulation

Volume: 8, Issue: 5, Thu Apr 13 17:39:58 EDT 1989

(1) Parallel Architecture Simulators
(2) Call for Papers: IFIP Conf. on Workstations for Experimentation
(3) Robotics Simulation Package Needed

Volume: 8, Issue: 6, Sat Apr 15 15:41:11 EDT 1989

(1) Distributed Simulation
(2) Simulated Annealing on Parallel Systems
(3) SPICE on HP Computers
(4) Petri Net Toolkit Available
(5) References for Distributed Simulation (long message)

Volume: 8, Issue: 7, Wed Apr 26 10:20:03 EDT 1989

(1) Traffic Flow Simulation
(2) Simulators for Parallel Architectures (Summary)
(3) Request for Discrete Event Software
(4) SMPL Library Available
(5) Timed Petri net simulator available
(6) New way to get simulation software

Volume: 8, Issue: 8, Fri Apr 28 10:43:38 EDT 1989

(1) Compile Time Load Balancing
(2) Special Section: Distributed Simulation Issues

Volume: 8, Issue: 9, Wed May 10 15:24:08 EDT 1989

(1) Parallel Simulation
(2) Simulation of Information Systems
(3) AI and Simulation Workshop
(4) Call for Papers: Object-Oriented Simulation
(5) Computer Simulation of Organic & Biomolec. Systems
(6) Needed: Code to Simulate LAN's

Volume: 8, Issue: 10, Fri May 19 16:09:08 EDT 1989

(1) Automobile Mechanics Info. Needed
(2) Workshop: Prototyping Tools and Techniques
(3) Performance of PC Network Systems
(4) 1989 Winter Simulation Conference

Volume: 9, Issue: 1, Tue May 30 08:24:48 EDT 1989

(1) Wanted: PD SPICE Simulator
(2) Papers in Distributed Simulation
(3) Request: Multiple Processor Simulator

Volume: 9, Issue: 2, Fri Jun  2 23:06:10 EDT 1989

(1) Event Unscheduling
(2) Conference on Modeling and Simulation on Microcomputers
(3) NETWORK II.5 for Multiprocessor Simulation

Volume: 9, Issue: 3, Wed Jun  7 16:59:56 EDT 1989

(1) Re: Event Cancellation
(2) Point to Point Network Simulator
(3) TimeWarp

Volume: 9, Issue: 4, Thu Jun  8 09:15:24 EDT 1989

(1) Call for Papers: Distributed Simulation
(2) Event Cancellation
(3) University Research Initiative

Volume: 9, Issue: 5, Fri Jun 16 11:54:31 EDT 1989

(1) Re: Event Unscheduling
(2) The EcoLogic System
(3) Reversable Simulation

Volume: 9, Issue: 6, Thu Jun 29 15:32:49 EDT 1989

(1) Request for QSIM Source Code
(2) Conference Proceedings Needed
(3) Lost Mail

Volume: 9, Issue: 7, Issue Number Skipped

Volume: 9, Issue: 8, Sat Jul  1 13:23:43 EDT 1989

(1) Event Unscheduling
(2) Can you Send P. Net?
(3) Shock Wave Simulation
(4) QSIM Simulation Toolkit now Available

Volume: 9, Issue: 9, Thu Jul  6 14:04:24 EDT 1989

(1) FORTRAN Simulation Routines
(2) Scheduling/Unscheduling
(3) Information Systems Newsgroup Formation
(4) Expanding the Simulation Forum

Volume: 9, Issue: 10, Sun Jul  9 16:23:25 EDT 1989

(1) PCB Simulator Wanted
(2) Re: Scheduling and Unscheduling
(3) Petri Net Based Simulators
(4) Tank Simulation
(5) Winter Simulation Conference 1989
(6) MultiProcessor Simulation using CSIM

Volume: 10, Issue: 1, Fri Jul 14 15:11:31 EDT 1989

(1) Event Scheduling and Cancellation
(2) Adomian's Decomposition Method
(3) SMPL Porting Experience

Volume: 10, Issue: 2, Wed Jul 19 12:54:54 EDT 1989

(1) Traffic Simulations
(2) Re: MultiProcessor Simulation
(3) Numerical and Statistical Software Needed

Volume: 10, Issue: 3, Tue Aug  1 09:13:27 EDT 1989

(1) Cellsim Simulator (Beta Version) Available
(2) Looking for General Purpose Simulation Software
(3) Conference Announcement

Volume: 10, Issue: 4, Wed Aug  9 17:30:41 EDT 1989

(1) TR available: NN's in Simulation
(2) Object-Oriented Simulation/Positions Available
(3) REAL Network Simulator Available for FTPing

Volume: 10, Issue: 5, Tue Aug 22 09:55:05 EDT 1989

(1) On a Quote from Sim. Digest
(2) Printed Circuit Board Simulator Wanted
(3) Modeling with Systems Dynamics

Volume: 10, Issue: 6, Thu Aug 24 09:38:11 EDT 1989

(1) Printed Circuit Board Simulators
(2) 1989 Winter Simulation Conference
(3) Update on System Dynamics
(4) Missile Simulation

Volume: 10, Issue: 7, Wed Aug 30 10:00:46 EDT 1989

(1) System Dynamics: A Response
(2) Call for Participation: AISIG90 Conference
(3) Requesting Papers on Discrete Event Simulation
(4) SMPL Report and Questions
(5) Call for Papers: AI, Simulation and Planning

Volume: 10, Issue: 8, Fri Sep  1 17:51:35 EDT 1989

(1) Call for Papers: AI, Simulation and Planning
(2) Call for Votes: comp.infosystems
(3) Traffic (Highway) Simulation Software

Volume: 10, Issue: 9, Tue Sep  5 09:45:03 EDT 1989

(1) Call for Papers: Dynamic Modelling of Information Systems
(2) Concerning the State of System Dynamics
(3) Call for Papers: International System Dynamics Conference
(4) Looking for a Copy of SAAM (Compartmental Modeling)
(5) Software for Wassily Leontief Methods

Volume: 10, Issue: 10, Sun Sep 10 19:51:44 EDT 1989

(1) Wanted: Greengard Algorithm Code
(2) Acquiring Qualitative Features
(3) Looking for Timed-Step Simulation Reference

Volume: 11, Issue: 1, Tue Sep 12 11:20:26 EDT 1989

(1) Systems and Cybernetics Mailing List
(2) Time Warp Implementations
(3) Survey of Professional Simulation Organizations
(4) New FTP Login for Bikini

Volume: 11, Issue: 2, Thu Sep 14 12:30:01 EDT 1989

(1) Qualitative Features
(2) Implementations of Time Warp
(3) How to Obtain AUTO Software
(4) Simulation and Modeling of Electronic Circuits

Volume: 11, Issue: 3, Mon Sep 18 14:46:18 EDT 1989

(1) WSC 89 Final Program
(2) Seeking Net Access for Visiting Scholar
(3) International Workshop on SE,AI and Expert Systems
(4) Requested: HVACSIM+ Users

Volume: 11, Issue: 4, Fri Sep 22 09:42:05 EDT 1989

(1) Survey of Professional Organizations (Second Posting)
(2) Call for Participation: Rapid System Prototyping
(3) Simulation Archives/Tools Back On Line
(4) Computer Description Languages

Volume: 11, Issue: 5, Thu Sep 28 08:32:09 EDT 1989

(1) Simulation and Training Devices
(2) Inquiry: A Historical Account of Simulation
(3) Machine Dreams

Volume: 11, Issue: 6, Thu Oct  5 08:53:36 EDT 1989

(1) Networking Simulations
(2) Nuclear Power Plant Simulator Wanted
(3) Seeking Info. on Cache Simulation

Volume: 11, Issue: 7, Thu Oct  5 09:12:12 EDT 1989

SPECIAL ISSUE: Professional Organizations for Simulation

Volume: 11, Issue: 8, Mon Oct  9 09:47:44 EDT 1989

(1) Need Address Traces
(2) Workstation Symposium
(3) SPICE Availability
(4) Optimality Considerations of Time Warp
(5) Conservative Parallel Simulation

Volume: 11, Issue: 9, Wed Oct 18 15:56:55 EDT 1989

(1) RE: SPICE Availability
(2) SCS Session: Simulation and Information Systems
(3) History of Simulation
(4) Broadcast Local Area Network Simulation

Volume: 11, Issue: 10, Tue Oct 24 09:53:22 EDT 1989

(1) Random Number Generators
(2) Availability of ROSS?
(3) History of Simulation
(4) Continuous Simulation Software

Volume: 12, Issue: 1, Fri Oct 27 14:35:44 EDT 1989

(1) AI & Simulation Conference: Methodology and Concepts
(2) Random Number Generation
(3) Virtual Reality/Space
(4) Hardware Support for List Processing

Volume: 12, Issue: 2, Tue Oct 31 10:17:40 EST 1989

(1) Rare Event Simulation
(2) Medical/Biological Models for Apollo
(3) Qualitative Models as Decision Aids
(4) Wanted: Performance Data for Ethernet Devices
(5) Simulation Software for the Social Sciences

Volume: 12, Issue: 3, Thu Nov  2 08:44:27 EST 1989

(1) Simulation Packages for the PC
(2) comp.simulation Readership Info.
(3) CONDOR: Run Simulations on Idle Workstations
(4) Re: Importance Sampling (#1)
(5) Re: Importance Sampling (#2)

Volume: 12, Issue: 4, Mon Nov  6 09:21:19 EST 1989

(1) High Level Design and Simulation
(2) Simulation of Historical Events
(3) Costless Rollback
(4) Distributed Simulation Track
(5) Relating Results for Finite/Infinite Queues

Volume: 12, Issue: 5, Thu Nov  9 08:55:00 EST 1989

(1) Non-Linear Interpolation Software
(2) Rolling Averages/Simulation
(3) Benchmarks for Simulators and HDL Compilers
(4) Model Generation

Volume: 12, Issue: 6, Fri Nov 10 10:02:49 EST 1989

(1) Call for Papers: 1990 Eastern Multi-Conference
(2) TR: Exploiting Lookahead in Parallel Simulation
(3) TR: A Study of Time Warp Rollback Mechanisms
(4) A Survey on Time Warp Implementations
(5) Neural Net Summer School at Wang Institute

Volume: 12, Issue: 7, Mon Nov 20 09:39:42 EST 1989

(1) Correction about Tech. Reports
(2) Dynamic Parallelism
(3) Survey on Research Center
(4) Ternary Simulation
(5) NewsGroup Discussion: Virtual-Worlds

Volume: 12, Issue: 8, Wed Nov 22 09:55:25 EST 1989

(1) High Level Hardware Design
(2) Petri Net Simulation
(3) Overview of DMOD

Volume: 12, Issue: 9, Fri Dec  1 10:23:49 EST 1989

(1) Reducing Time Warp Overhead
(2) Call for Papers: DEVS & Advanced Modelling
(3) Time Warp
(4) Knowledge Based Simulation of Circuits

Volume: 12, Issue: 10, Tue Dec 12 11:31:13 EST 1989

(1) Petri Net Simulators
(2) Demand Driven Simulation
(3) Call for Papers: Simulation of Adaptive Behavior

Volume: 13, Issue: 1, Tue Dec 19 09:22:12 EST 1989

(1) Yet Another GVT Algorithm
(2) RE: Overview of DMOD
(3) Discrete Event Simulation
(4) Wang Institute Conference

Volume: 13, Issue: 2, Tue Dec 19 15:59:05 EST 1989

FORUM: Discrete Event Methods
 (1) Combined Simulation Techniques
 (2) Re: Combined Simulation
 (3) Unscheduling with Continuous Parameters
TOPICS:
 (4) Simulating CPU's
 (5) RE: Yet another GVT Algorithm
 (6) CHI in AeroSpace Systems

Volume: 13, Issue: 3, Wed Jan  3 09:46:20 EST 1990

(1) UDL/I High Level Design Language
(2) TR: Determining GVT in Time Warp Simulation
(3) TR: Protocols for Parallel Logic-Level Simulation
(4) Simulation of Data Flow Architectures
(5) Simulation for Factory Automation

Volume: 13, Issue: 4, Tue Jan  9 08:24:48 EST 1990

(1) Motor Simulation
(2) European Simulation Research/Airbus
(3) Workshop: Model-Based Diagnosis

Volume: 13, Issue: 5, Fri Jan 12 12:07:24 EST 1990

(1) COURSE: Neural Networks
(2) CALL: Neural Nets in Target Recognition
(3) CALL: "Simulation: Reality in the 90's"
(4) Simulation of Rockets

Volume: 13, Issue: 6, Mon Jan 22 09:08:07 EST 1990

(1) Need to Simulate Low Level I/O
(2) Available Simulation Languages
(3) Asynchronous Discrete Event Simulation (Summary)

Volume: 13, Issue: 7, Wed Jan 24 09:07:09 EST 1990

(1) Interest Group on Simulation Languages
(2) Petri Net Simulation (Summary)
(3) Simulation Languages (for Ecology)
(4) New Software Available: CELLSIM & GSPN

Volume: 13, Issue: 8, Thu Feb  1 10:47:28 EST 1990

(1) SPICE Discussions
(2) Psychological Simulation
(3) Autodesk CA Program

Volume: 13, Issue: 9, Mon Feb  5 10:49:20 EST 1990

(1) Gaming, Simulation and Face Validity
(2) Cellular Automata
(3) ECSS Simulation

Volume: 13, Issue: 10, Wed Feb  7 11:42:16 EST 1990

(1) Holography: Information Search
(2) Graphical Modeling & Stella
(3) Request for Proposals: NIPS-90
(4) Re: Cellular Automata
(5) Simulators in Education

Volume: 14, Issue: 1, Fri Feb 16 09:28:26 EST 1990

(1) Building Simulation '89
(2) Tools for Simulating Computers/Networks
(3) Neural Networks for Target Recognition

Volume: 14, Issue: 2, Tue Feb 20 09:25:53 EST 1990

(1) BOSS Users
(2) Parallel Discrete Event Simulation
(3) AI and Simulation
(4) Proceedings for Building Simulation '89
(5) Potential/Flow Networks
(6) CALL: Dynamic Modeling of Information Systems

Volume: 14, Issue: 3, Thu Feb 22 09:56:06 EST 1990

(1) Data Flow in System Design
(2) Bond Graph Modeling
(3) Ballistics Simulation Conference
(4) Turing 1990 Colloquium
(5) SIMSMART Software

Volume: 14, Issue: 4, Mon Feb 26 16:32:34 EST 1990

(1) RE: High Level Design
(2) TR: Time Warp Method
(3) SmartModel on HP Workstations

Volume: 14, Issue: 5, Thu Mar  1 16:16:53 EST 1990

(1) New CELLSIM Tool: V2.5
(2) CALL: Distributed Simulation Conference
(3) Schematic Capture & Simulation
(4) SYSTID Simulation Program

Volume: 14, Issue: 6, Thu Mar  8 11:17:29 EST 1990

(1) Discrete Event Simulation in LISP
(2) CALL: Qualitative Simulation Session
(3) Benchmark Circuits for Logic Simulators

Volume: 14, Issue: 7, Tue Mar 13 09:31:59 EST 1990

(1) Software for Simulating Parallel Systems
(2) CALL: Model Based Reasoning
(3) RE: Simulation in LISP
(4) HIRES LISP-based Simulation Package
(5) Request for Info: Simulation Companies

Volume: 14, Issue: 8, Sun Mar 18 20:40:59 EST 1990

(1) AI & Simulation Conference
(2) CALL: Knowledge Based Simulation
(3) Stereoscopic Display Standard

Volume: 14, Issue: 9, Wed Mar 28 20:30:35 EST 1990

(1) RE: Simulation of Parallel Systems
(2) RE: Simulation in LISP
(3) ACM SIGCOMM Network Simulation Column
(4) SCRIPTIC-C: Simulation of Parallel Processes
(5) TR: Time Warp Simulation
(6) C++ Simulators

Volume: 14, Issue: 10, Tue Apr  3 09:08:23 EDT 1990

(1) Turing Conference
(2) Modeling: State of the Art
(3) Simscript Code Needed
(4) Robotics Simulator
(5) Lisp to Ada/C
(6) CALL: Simulation of Adaptive Behavior

Volume: 15, Issue: 1, Tue Apr  3 17:40:48 EDT 1990

(1) Simulation Digest INDEX Now Available
(2) INDEX For Vols. 10 - 14
(3) CALL: Parallel Problem Solving from Nature

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST