[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V16 N2

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (06/09/90)

Volume: 16, Issue: 2, Fri Jun  8 16:42:31 EDT 1990

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) CALL: Votes for News Group
(2) RE: News about Simscript
(3) REQUEST: VHDL and Verilog Comparison
(4) REQUEST: Hardware for Real-Time Graphics
(5) REQUEST: Ethernet Simulator at UCB

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

To: comp-simulation@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu
From: caldwr!rfinch%caldwr.water.ca.gov@ucdavis.ucdavis.edu (Ralph Finch)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
Subject: CALL FOR VOTES: comp.lang.idl-pvwave
Date: 2 Jun 90 00:25:57 GMT

CALL FOR VOTES: creation of comp.lang.idl-pvwave

This is to solict votes to create a group for a language called either
IDL or PV-Wave (depending on whom you buy it from).

Group Name:	comp.lang.idl-pvwave

Vote period:	Through June 22, 1990.

To vote: send mail to

rfinch@water.ca.gov	---or---   ...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch

Replying to this message should work.

Indicate clearly in the subject and/or message whether your vote is
YES or NO for creating comp.lang.idl-pvwave.  Qualified votes ("I vote
yes if...."), votes posted to a group, or unclear votes cannot be
counted.  I'll reply to each vote individually; a mass acknowledgment
will be made at the end.

Charter: An unmoderated newsgroup for discussing the programming
language known as both Interactive [Data/Display] Language (IDL) and
PV-Wave (Precision Visuals Workstation Analysis and Visualization
Environment).  Topics will be programming tips, techniques, and code
exchanges, either full programs or fragments.  The proposed group is
intended primarily to discuss numerical analysis, imaging, scientific
visualization, etc.  *as performed using the IDL/Wave language*; it is
not intended to support discussions concerning those topics directly,
as groups already exist for those purposes (e.g.
sci.math.num-analysis).

The existing group comp.lang.idl is for the Interface Description
Language, something else entirely.

This Call For Votes does not constitute an endorsement of any product
or company.
 --
Ralph Finch			916-445-0088
rfinch@water.ca.gov		...ucbvax!ucdavis!caldwr!rfinch

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 1 Jun 90 17:28:56 PDT
From: mailrus!uunet!cacilj!stevec@bikini.cis.ufl.edu (Steve G. Covault)
To: mailrus!bikini.cis.ufl.edu!simulation
Subject: SIMSCRIPT II.5 News Group

comp.simulation readers:

CACI would be interested in establishing greater communication with our
users.  How many others would be interested in using a special newsgroup
(say: comp.lang.simscript) for this purpose?

Would the volume be low enough that we could use comp.simulation?

If there are any specific technical questions regarding SIMSCRIPT II.5 (or
any of our several other simulation software products), I would like to
respond to them.

If you feel that the answer to your question may be of interest to others,
and you do not require an immediate answer, consider posting it here.  I,
and others at CACI, often read this newsgroup and would be happy to assist
you in any way we can.

\   Steve Covault                 | Voice Mail (24 Hours) 619/455-6300 x 156  /
 \  Manager of Technical Support  | FAX        (24 Hours) 619/458-0031       /
  | CACI Products Company         | Messages     (Rotary) 619/458-1383      |
 /  3344 North Torrey Pines Court | E-mail:  support@cacilj.CTS.COM          \
/   La Jolla, California    92037 |          ...!{uunet, ucsd, crash}!cacilj  \

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Jun 90 08:25:45 CDT
From: carpent@src.honeywell.com (Todd Carpenter)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Need information for VHDL and Verilog comparison
Newsgroups: comp.simulation

I am currently involved in a tradeoff of VHDL vs. Verilog.  Specifically, we
are examining Vantage Analysis Systems's VHDL, and Cadence's Verilog products.
Any data which would aid the decision would be greatly appreciated.  Views from
both sides of the fence are welcome, especially any data from someone who
has already made such a tradeoff or has experience with both environments.

The project for which we are doing the trade involved ASIC chip design. We will
be using a top down design methodology covering abstract behavioral models down
to detailed gate design.  Other tools, such as Mentor, might be more
appropriate at the lower levels.

 Data specifically of interest:

   Language Features
   Tool Features
     Schematic Entry
     Symbolic Debugger
     Compiler
     Results/Output
     Interface to other tools
     Library Management
   Links to synthesis tools (e.g., Synopsis)
   Performance
     Ease of use
     Compiler Speed
     Runtime Speed
     Design iteration speed
   Learning curve for language
   Learning curve for tools
   Platform stability
   Vendor support

Thank you *VERY* much.  I will forward a compilation of responses, or post if
there is sufficient interest.

Please email responses to: carpent@src.honeywell.com

  -Todd C.

Todd P. Carpenter          Honeywell Systems and Research Center
voice:  (612)782-7229      paper:  3660 Technology Drive, Minneapolis, MN 55418
UUCP: carpent@srcsip.uucp  bang-style: {umn-cs,ems,bthpyd}!srcsip!carpent
Internet: carpent@src.honeywell.com

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@gatech.edu
From: rr%chmsr@gatech.edu (Richard Robison)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation,git.research
Subject: Need help with hardware for real-time simulation graphics
Date: 7 Jun 90 18:31:12 GMT
Sender: news%prism@gatech.edu

We would like to get info about what hardware people are using for real-time
graphics for simulation.  We are specifically interested in cockpit simulation.
Also, what input devices are you using.  Thanks.

 -Richard
 ---------------
Richard Robison

Computer Coordinator, ISyE			404-894-6221

UUCP:	rr@isye.UUCP
        {backbones}!gatech!isye!rr
INTERNET:	rr@isye.gatech.edu

------------------------------

	(5.62+/IDA-1.2.8) id AA00233; Fri, 8 Jun 90 15:36:12 -0500
To: comp-simulation@cis.ohio-state.edu
Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: cattanac@clitus.cs.uiuc.edu (Scott Cattanach)
Subject: UCBerkeley ethernet paper
Sender: news@cs.uiuc.edu
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 90 20:35:33 GMT

Does anyone have a reference to a paper/simulator published
by UCB that gives ethernet xmit times vs network loads?
thanks

 --
  -catt (cattanac@cs.uiuc.edu)

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST