[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V16 N6

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (07/05/90)

Volume: 16, Issue: 6, Wed Jul  4 22:42:25 EDT 1990

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) Building Simulations with BONeS
(2) Dictionary of Simulation Terms
(3) RE: Robot Simulation
(4) RE: Virtual Reality vs. Simulation
(5) RE: Virtual Reality vs. Simulation

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date: Tue, 3 Jul 90 10:44:05 PDT
From: smyers@luna.hac.com (Steven Myers)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: Discussing BONeS in this group
Newsgroups: comp.simulation

My division has recently bought Comdisco's Block Oriented Network
Simulator (BONeS) and I have begun trying to build my own custom
databases for it.  I would like to know if there are any other BONeS
users out there and if this would be the appropriate news group to
discuss building simulations in BONeS.  The simulation I am currently
building is based on the MAC layer protocol of an FDDI token ring
network.

Thank you for your time.

 -- Steven

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jul 90 08:19:05 PDT
From: Doug Schwartz <tessi!dad.MENTOR.COM!dschwartz@bikini.cis.ufl.edu>
Apparently-To: tektronix!comp-simulation

Newsgroups: comp.simulation
From: dschwartz@mentor.com (Doug Schwartz)
Subject: definitions of terms
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 90 15:18:51 GMT

I've been trying to put together a little glossary/dictionary of terms used in
(digital) simulation/modeling.  I was hoping someone on the net could direct me
to a (text?) book that takes pains to carefully define its terminology.

For example, I have seen the term "part" used to describe both a physical
object and a software object.

Please email me your comments (watch those snide remarks about Mentor hiring
bone-head contract tech writers 8-) ) and I'll summarize and post them, if
anyone's interested.
 --
Doug Schwartz         Contracting 8.0 days weakly.
Mentor Graphics

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jul 90 22:30:45 -0400
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: Robot Simulation

[[Forwarded from comp.robotics -PAF]]

>From uflorida!uakari.primate.wisc.edu!zaphod.mps.ohio-state.edu!usc!elroy.jpl.nasa.gov!aero!nadel Wed Jul  4 19:36:54 EDT 1990
Article 374 of comp.theory.dynamic-sys:
Newsgroups: comp.theory.dynamic-sys
Subject: Re: Flexible Robot Simulator
Date: 3 Jul 90 21:56:50 GMT

In article <11485@rasp.eng.cam.ac.uk> jjs@eng.cam.ac.uk (Jeffrey J. Shifman) writes:
>I am looking for either
>
>(1)  suggestions for how to simulate a flexible robot (say, for simplicity,
>     two flexible links modelled as Euler-Bernoulli beams, with a single
>     torque input to each one) with a peculiar feedback law; or,
>
>(2)  a simulator that can deal with the system described above.
>
>I have tried a 'naive' modal approach but it doesn't seem to work.
>Any suggestions appreciated.

There are three basic approaches to modeling flexible robots.  The modal
approach is pretty common but the big drawback is the inaccuracy introduced
by the need for modal truncation.  In addition, it's not simple to deal
with mechanisms.  That is, the modal approach doesn't combine easily with
a model of, say, a motor.

The second approach is to discretize the flexible links, e.g. via a finite
element model.  This handles mechanisms much better but is very intensive
computationally if you want to get halfway decent result.  It also ignores
the effect that the elastic motion of the beams has on the rigid body motion
of the joints.

The third approach uses generalized coordinates to derive the equations of
motion and then incorporates the joints using Lagrange multipliers.
This is the only approach which allows both the rigid body motion and elastic
motion to be influencing each other.

I would suggest looking up the two articles by Nagarajan and Turcic in the
June 1990 issue of the ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and
Control (which is also a generally good source of info on robotics and
modeling).

Miriam Nadel
 --
One of the 20% of Americans who own stock.

nadel@aerospace.aero.org

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jul 90 14:23:07 EST
From: Richard E. Nance - SRC <srcnance@popeye.cs.vt.edu>
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Virtual Reality vs. Simulation
Cc: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu

I must admit to having only seen the term "virtual reality" on
reading this item in the Digest.  Thus, my understanding is
based on Leaback's description and Fishwick's comments.  Nevertheless,
I offer the observation that all too often, basic principles
are overlooked that when considered lead to instant insight.
Two such come to mind in this case.

A model is an abstraction of reality, and in the earlier
philosophical treatment by Churchman (as I recall), reality
is not a model.  Investigation with reality is experimental
inquiry (statistical studies of pertinent factors with non-
pertinent factors controlled or eliminated).  A simulation
is experimentation WITH A MODEL presumed to be sufficiently
representative of reality to MEET PRESCRIBED STUDY OBJECTIVES.
The two affecting principles are (1) the use of a model,
which in the case of virtual reality (in my limited understanding)
attempts to represent an encapsulating environment, and
(2) study objectives are of major importance in assuring
model validity and model acceptability (perhaps moreso than
the degree to which physical aspects of reality are captured).

If I develop a model of the software components surrounding
an operating system executive in order to test the communications
paths and verify protocols, is this a deterministic simulation
of virtual reality, or both?  (References om virtual reality
are welcomed.)

Dick Nance

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Jul 90 22:29:40 -0400
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu

[[Forwarded from sci.virtual-worlds -PAF]]

>From uflorida!rex!samsung!cs.utexas.edu!yale!mintaka!mit-eddie!uw-beaver!milton!steve@titan.tsd.arlut.utexas.edu Wed Jul  4 22:29:09 EDT 1990
Article 273 of sci.virtual-worlds:
Newsgroups: sci.virtual-worlds
Subject: Re: what is a virtual reality ?
Date: 3 Jul 90 23:47:45 GMT
Sender: hlab@milton.u.washington.edu
Posted-Date: 3 Jul 90 23:47:45 GMT

   >From: peterl@ibmpcug.co.uk (Peter Leaback)

   >>What is the difference between a virtual reality and a simulation?

A good question.

   >>My answer is consistency.

???

   >>A stick model of a water molecule is a simulation of a real water
   >>molecule, but if you jump into a swimming pool full of stick water
   >>molecules, you won't get wet. The stick water molecules have many
   >>inconsistances compared to real molecules, so when one trys to interact
   >>the stick molecules with real ones, you have problems.
   >>But if a man made up of stick model molecules jumps into that same
   >>swimming pool, he WILL get wet.

Simulations are usually intended for a purpose.  Stick water molecules
are not intended for this purpose.  This example simply illustrates
the incorrect use of stick water molecules.  The stick water molecule
is not invalid for its intended purpose.

Is is usually not wise to examine a simulation model without regard
to its purpose.

>   Simulation and virtual reality are not at odds

I agree.
 --
Steven Glicker
Applied Research Laboratories