[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V17 N2

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (08/07/90)

Volume: 17, Issue: 2, Tue Aug  7 09:00:25 EDT 1990

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) RE: UNIFIT Package
(2) QUERY: Modelling Therapeutic Interventions
(3) CALL: Annual Simulation Symposium
(4) Freeway Traffic Flow Simulation
(5) REQUEST: Workload Characteristics
(6) Resource and Load Management Simulation

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date:     Sat, 28 Jul 90 08:55 H
From: <WINSTON%NUSEEV.BITNET@nervm.nerdc.ufl.edu>
Subject:  Re: UNIFIT information
To: SIMULATION@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

Recently, I put out a request for information on a package called UNIFIT and
other similar packages. So far, I've got a few replies, but only one provides
some insight into the package and contacts for more information and ordering
information. The text of that reply is as folows:

 > Date: Thu, 26 Jul 90 17:51:55 -0500
 > From: Stephen G Vincent <vincent@csd4.csd.uwm.edu>
 > Subject: UniFit information
 > To: winston@nuseev.BitNet

 > Hello,
 >    I saw your request for information about UniFit on the network.  First,
 > some general information:

 > 1. UniFit is marketed by Simulation Modeling and Analysis Company (SMA),
 >    P.O. Box 40996, Tucson, Arizona 85717;  phone 602-299-8441.  I can
 >    get you a fax number if you need it.

 > 2. Most users employ the package on IBM compatible personal computers because
 >    of the graphics capabilities.

 > More specific information concerning your request:

 > 3. The traditional use of UniFit in a simulation context is for fitting the
 >    input probability distributions;  we can assume that the observations are
 >    independent and identically distributed.  Analysis of the output data is
 >    a different problem and is discussed below.

 > 4. For most simulations observations from one run (for example, the sequence
 >    of delays in queue in a queueing model) are correlated and thus not
 >    appropriate for analysis by UniFit.

 > 5. If, however, we take one observation from a simulation run and make a
 >    number of replications, then we can use a tool like UniFit.  However,
 >    in general, most simulationists simply create confidence intervals
 >    using the standard t-distribution results.  If you need to study the
 >    exact distribution of the result measure, then UniFit will do a good
 >    job.

 > Feel free to e-mail me if you need more general information about the
 > software or its capabilities; contact SMA for price and ordering information.

 > -sv.

I did not receive any replies regarding similar packages, but I hope anyone who
has any recommendations send them to me, so that I can summarize for the
benefit of everyone.

Winston Seah
Dept of Electrical Engineering
National University of Singapore
bitnet: winston@nuseev.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Aug 90 15:11:57 -0400
From: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu

>From uflorida!mephisto!bbn.com!ehudlick Wed Aug  1 15:07:58 EDT 1990
Article 6847 of comp.ai:
Newsgroups: comp.ai,sci.psychology
Subject: Computational Psychodynamics (?)
Date: 1 Aug 90 14:01:39 GMT
Sender: news@bbn.com

Does anyone know of any research in the area of constructing computational
models (simulations) of therapeutic interventions, unconscious processes,
etc. I'm not talking about Eliza or Perry type of programs but something
based on clinical data and some specific model of the psyche and therapy.

Any info or pointers would be appreciated.

Eva Hudlicka
BBN
10 Moulton St.
Cambridge, MA 02238
(617) 873-8674

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 02 Aug 90 13:36:28 CDT
From: "George Zobrist, Professor" <C2816@UMRVMB.UMR.EDU>
Subject:      call for papers annual simulation symposium
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

                   ****  CALL FOR PAPERS ****

               24TH ANNUAL SIMULATION SYMPOSIUM

  1991 SCS EASTERN MULTICONFERENCE, APRIL 1-5, 1991, NEW ORLEANS, LA

THE ANNUAL SIMULATION SYMPOSIUM IS A FORUM FOR THE INTERCHANGE OF IDEAS,
TECHNIQUES, AND APPLICATIONS AMONG PRACTITIONERS OF SIMULATION IN INDUSTRY,
GOVERNMENT AND ACADEMIA.  THE PAPER SESSIONS ARE DESIGNED TO GENERATE AN
INTERACTIVE DISCUSSION OF CONCEPTS, METHODOLOGY, AND RESULTS BETWEEN AUTHOR
AND AUDIENCE.  THE STRUCTURE OF THE SYMPOSIUM ALSO PROVIDES FOR A DEGREE OF
COLLEGIALITY AND CONTINUITY IN THE DISCUSSIONS OF THE VARIOUS TOPICS PRESENTED
DURING THE WEEK.

IN RECENT YEARS THE SYMPOSIUM HAS PROVIDED A FORUM FOR TRADITIONAL SIMULATION
TOPICS IN DISCRETE EVENT, CONTINUOUS, DIGITAL AND ANALOG SIMULATION.  THIS
YEAR'S SYMPOSIUM IS SEEKING PAPERS PARTICULARLY IN THE FOLLOWING TOPICAL AREAS:

O  DISTRIBUTED/CONCURRENT SIMULATION
O  NEURAL NETWORK MODELS AND SIMULATIONS
O  MODELING AND SIMULATION OF MULTIPROCESSOR/PARALLEL-PROCESSOR ARCHITECTURE
O  NETWORK MODELING AND SIMULATION
O  DISTRIBUTED DATABASE AND FILE SIMULATIONS
O  SIMULATION LANGUAGES AND TOOLS

A 750-WORD ABSTRACT DESCRIBING THE CONTENTS, RANGE AND RESULTS OF THE PAPER
IS REQUIRED.  THE ABSTRACT SHOULD BE SENT BY SEPTEMBER 15, 1990 TO:

DR. GEORGE W. ZOBRIST                    DEADLINES:
DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE             750-WORD ABSTRACT   - 9/15/90
UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-ROLLA               TENTATIVE ACCEPTANCE- 10/1/90
ROLLA, MISSOURI  65401                     FULL PAPER          - 12/1/90
PHONE: (314) 341-4836                      FINAL PAPER         - 1/15/91
EMAIL: C2816@UMRVMB.UMR.EDU

EARLY SUBMISSION OF THE ABSTRACT WILL FACILITATE EARLY NOTIFICATION OF
TENTATIVE ACCEPTANCE.  THE ABSTRACTS WILL BE CRITICALLY REVIEWED AND A
NOTIFICATION TO PREPARE A FULL PAPER WILL BE SENT, IF THE REVIEWS ARE
ACCEPTABLE, AFTER THE FULL PAPER IS RECEIVED, FINAL DECISION WILL BE MADE
AS TO ACCEPTABILITY.  PLEASE INCLUDE FULL NAME, AFFILIATION, ADDRESS, AND
PHONE NUMBERS (ALSO, EMAIL) OF EACH AUTHOR AND DESIGNATE THE AUTHOR WHICH IS
BE CONTACTED.  THE FULL PAPER WILL BE PUBLISHED BY THE IEEE COMPUTER SOCIETY.

THE IRA M. KAY MEMORIAL PRIZE OF $500 WILL BE AWARDED TO THE BEST PAPER
PRESENTED AT THE SYMPOSIUM.

ONLY PAPERS WHICH HAVE NOT BEEN PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED OR PRESENTED SHOULD BE
SUBMITTED.  AUTHORS MUST OBTAIN EMPLOYER, CLIENT, OR GOVERNMENT RELEASES
PRIOR TO SUBMITTAL OF FINAL MANUSCRIPT.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 12:43:33 -0700
From: news@petunia.CalPoly.EDU (Newsman)
To: comp-simulation@ucsd.edu

From: cmaccarl@batman.elee.calpoly.edu (cam)
Newsgroups: comp.simulation,comp.theory.dynamic-sys
Subject: Freeway Traffic Flow Simulation
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 90 19:43:29 GMT

We are working on the development of a macroscopic dynamic flow simulation for
vehicle traffic on a freeway (highway,motorway,turnpike) network.
Of particular interest is the accurate characterization of an existing
freeway network based on available field data on average traffic flow and
velocity at sample points in the system.

We would like to correspond with others doing similar work, to share mutual
concerns and results.

Thanks

cam

------------------------------

To: simulation@ufl.edu
From: Raj Yavatkar <raj@ms.uky.edu>
Newsgroups: comp.os.research,comp.simulation
Subject: References to performance measurements in distri. systems
Date: 3 Aug 90 22:02:52 GMT
Sender: raj@ms.uky.edu

Hi,
	I am looking for references to workload characterizations and
performance measurements in actual distributed systems (LAN  based)
directed to determine the amount of processing time needed to
satisfy requests at a name server (or similar server such as  a boot
server or an ARP server) for typical workloads in a LAN environment..
Also, statistics on interarrival times of service requests for a given
workload will be useful.

I will appreciate pointers to literature on the subject.

Thnaks,
Raj
    	raj@ms.uky.edu				Internet
	(606) 257-6745				Phone
	(606) 257-3961				Phone (Secretary)
	606-257-4078				Fax

	Raj Yavatkar
	Assistant Professor
	Dept. Of Computer Sciences,
	University of Kentucky,
	Lexington, KY 40506-0027		US Mail

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@uunet.uu.net
From: cho@CS.UCLA.EDU
Newsgroups: comp.simulation,comp.parallel,comp.os.research
Subject: Resource or load management simulator on multiprocessors
Date: 7 Aug 90 00:52:20 GMT
Sender: news@CS.UCLA.EDU

Hi, Netter,

I plan to simulate resource or load management methods in Time Warp, and
I am curious whether anyone have already built such simulators.
I know that Orna Berry builted one Time Warp simulator, but it was written
in SIMULA 67 whose compiler is not available to me.

Any information about sequential or distributed simulators for resource
managements in parallel or distributed systems  will be appreciated,
and any comments are also welcome.
Please send me emails, and I will summarize the replies if requested.

Thank you very much.

S. Cho
cho@cs.ucla.edu

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST