[net.games.trivia] Phonetic Alphabets

laj@wnuxb.UUCP (JOHNSON) (02/13/85)

I know of two phonetic alphabets.  One begins ABLE, BAKER, CHARLIE ...
The second is of military origin and begins  ALPHA, BRAVO, CHARLIE, DELTA

Can someone complete the alphabets ?   Are there other similar alphabets
in common use ?

						Larry Johnson
						ihnp4!wnuxb!laj

ron@leopard.UUCP (Ron Bach) (02/14/85)

> I know of two phonetic alphabets.  One begins ABLE, BAKER, CHARLIE ...
> The second is of military origin and begins  ALPHA, BRAVO, CHARLIE, DELTA
>
> Can someone complete the alphabets ?   Are there other similar alphabets
> in common use ?
> 						Larry Johnson
> 						ihnp4!wnuxb!laj

Both I believe are Military alphabets, the first is the older version used
until sometime into the 50's or 60's.  When I was in the AF the second went

Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Gulf, Hotel, India, Juliet,
Kilo, Lima, Mike, November, Oscar, Poppa, Quebec, Romeo, Serra, Tango
Uniform, Victor, Whiskey, X-ray, Yankee, Zulu.

Quebec is pronounced like kay-bek.

Zulu replaced Zebra, (remember the movie Ice station ZEBRA) and I believe
India and Oscar replaced Ocean and Ida.
--

...{allegra|belcore|ihnp4|vax135}!leopard!ron	Ron Bach
   Rumors Mongered here.			Bell Communications Research

jrrt@hogpd.UUCP (R.MITCHELL) (02/14/85)

he ABLE, BAKER, CHARLIE alphabet dates from pre-World War II days.
By the late 60's, the U.S. military had converted to the alphabet below,
allegedly for greater clarity.

ALPHA, BRAVO, CHARLIE, DELTA, ECHO, FOXTROT, GOLF, HOTEL, INDIA, JULIET,
KILO, LIMA, MIKE, NOVEMBER, OSCAR, PAPA, QUEBEC (pronounced KAY-BECK),
ROMEO, SIERRA, TANGO, UNIFORM, VICTOR, WHISKEY, XRAY, YANKEE, ZULU.

Rob Mitchell  {allegra,ihnp4}!hogpd!jrrt

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
	- Sir Winston Churchill

black@unc.UUCP (Samuel Black) (02/14/85)

In article <wnuxb.365> laj@wnuxb.UUCP (JOHNSON) writes:
>I know of two phonetic alphabets.  One begins ABLE, BAKER, CHARLIE ...
>The second is of military origin and begins  ALPHA, BRAVO, CHARLIE, DELTA
>
>Can someone complete the alphabets ?   Are there other similar alphabets
>in common use ?
>
>						Larry Johnson
>						ihnp4!wnuxb!laj

The one most commonly used by pilots is:

Alfa, Bravo, Charlie, Delta, Echo, Foxtrot, Golf, Hotel, India,
Juliet, Kilo, Lima, Mike, November, Oscar, Papa, Quebec, Romeo,
Sierra, Tango, Uniform, Victor, Whiskey, X-ray, Yankee, Zulu.

gwb@umd5.UUCP (02/18/85)

In article <365@wnuxb.UUCP> laj@wnuxb.UUCP (JOHNSON) writes:
>I know of two phonetic alphabets.  One begins ABLE, BAKER, CHARLIE ...
>The second is of military origin and begins  ALPHA, BRAVO, CHARLIE, DELTA
>
>Can someone complete the alphabets ?   Are there other similar alphabets
>in common use ?
>
>						Larry Johnson
>						ihnp4!wnuxb!laj

Both (I believe) are of military origin.  The second looks like the
one used by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO),  which
is also used by many civil radio services(including amateur radio).

ALFA BRAVO CHARLIE DELTA ECHO FOXTROT GOLF HOTEL INDIA JULIETT KILO
LIMA MIKE NOVEMBER OSCAR PAPA QUEBEC ROMEO SIERRA TANGO UNIFORM
VICTOR WHISKEY XRAY YANKEE ZULU

These words were selected for their complete sounds, not just first
letters.  It's much easier to get perfect message transmission under
adverse conditions, as a large percentage of the syllables are unique
within the phonetics.

--
                                         - George Baltz   N3GB
USENET: seismo!rlgvax!cvl!umd5!gwb

doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) (02/19/85)

> I know of two phonetic alphabets.  One begins ABLE, BAKER, CHARLIE ...
> The second is of military origin and begins  ALPHA, BRAVO, CHARLIE, DELTA

Since there have been a number of responses about the ICAO alphabet
(some even were correct  :-)  I'll not repeat that.  The other alphabet
is the JAN (Joint Army-Navy) alphabet, which became well known because
of World War II.  Here's what I remember of the JAN sequence:

Able       G????     Mike     Sugar     Young
Baker      Howe      Nan      Tare      Zebra
Charlie    Item      Oboe     Unit
Dog        Jig       P???     Victor
Ernest     King      Q???     W???
Fox        Love      R???     Xray      Anyone fill in the blanks?

Regarding the change to ICAO -- the story that I heard claimed that the
major improvement is that the ICAO words were chosen to be pronouncable
regardless of the nationality of the speaker.  (ICAO = International
Civil Aviation Organization).
--
Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (02/21/85)

> I know of two phonetic alphabets.  One begins ABLE, BAKER, CHARLIE ...
> The second is of military origin and begins  ALPHA, BRAVO, CHARLIE, DELTA
>
> Can someone complete the alphabets ?   Are there other similar alphabets
> in common use ?
>
> 						Larry Johnson
> 						ihnp4!wnuxb!laj

The first phonetic alphabet referred to is the old one, used from
I-don't-know-when up until the sixties (or late 50's). The second
is the NATO phonetic alphabet:
Alfa
Bravo
Charlie
Delta
Echo
Foxtrot
Golf
Hotel
India
Juliet
Kilo
Lima (pronounced  lee-ma)
Mike
November
Oscar
Papa
Quebec (pronounced kay-bec)
Romeo
Sierra
Tango
Uniform
Victor
Whisky
X-ray
Yankee
Zulu

I might be able to find the old one listed somewhere, but don't
expect it soon. I taught myself the new one, so overlaid any pre-existing
knowledge of the former.

There are an infinity of "unofficial" phonetic alphabets; probably each
police department uses a local variant, the same way as they use local
formats of radio codes.

Every ham operator picks his own phonetic interpretation of his callsign,
so you might hear W1FMS identify as "Wants One For My Shack" or W7LLW
use "Wilbur-Seven Likes Lotta Women" or anything at all. (I made
up those callsigns off the top of my head -- are you out there by chance?)

I strongly recommend that everyone learn and use the NATO standard, but
then I champion a lot of lost causes...

It's interesting how confused your average telephone operator gets when
you start phoneticizing a name at him/her. They can get "B as in Boy",
but running "Whisky India Lima Lima India Alfa Mike" at them scares them...

Regards,
Will Martin

USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin     or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (02/22/85)

> I know of two phonetic alphabets.  One begins ABLE, BAKER, CHARLIE ...
> The second is of military origin and begins  ALPHA, BRAVO, CHARLIE, DELTA
>
> Can someone complete the alphabets ?   Are there other similar alphabets
> in common use ?
>
> 						Larry Johnson
> 						ihnp4!wnuxb!laj
Other way around.  ABLE BAKER is the US military version and the only
people who seem to still use it are certain Police departements (at
least in California as seen on TV :-) ).   ALPHA BRAVO is the international
phonetic alphabet and is used currently by all serious radio communicators.
Our local police department seems to have invented there own, they always
use the same words, but they don't match either of those schemes.

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (02/25/85)

The old phonetic alphabet (found in a 1945 edition of the Radio Amateurs'
Handbook):

Able (Affirm*)
Baker
Charlie
Dog
Easy
Fox
George
How
Item (Interrogatory*)
Jig
King
Love
Mike
Nan (Negat*)
Oboe (Option*)
Peter (Prep*)
Queen
Roger
Sugar
Tare
Uncle
Victor
William
X-ray
Yoke
Zebra

(* = US Navy General Signal Book variants)

There! Now you can communicate across time warps with military or hams from
WW II and before...

Regards, Will

don@ucbtopaz.CC.Berkeley.ARPA (02/25/85)

Reference: (384@terak.UUCP) (Doug Pardee):

Sorry, Doug, but I'm afraid you got some of them wrong.  The correct,
official Signal Corps phonetic alphabet follows:

Able       George    Mike     Sugar     Yoke
Baker      Howe      Nan      Tare      Zebra
Charlie    Item      Oboe     Uncle
Dog        Jig       Peter    Victor
Easy       King      Queen    William
Fox        Love      Roger    Xray

         "Dh' aindeoin co theireadh e!"

         Don Curry
         Computer Facilities & Operations
         University of California
         Berkeley CA 94720  (415) 642-3043
         ...ucbvax!ucbtopaz!don

dickmc@brl-tgr.ARPA (Dick McGee ) (02/25/85)

In article <384@terak.UUCP> doug@terak.UUCP (Doug Pardee) writes:
>> I know of two phonetic alphabets.  One begins ABLE, BAKER, CHARLIE ...
>> The second is of military origin and begins  ALPHA, BRAVO, CHARLIE, DELTA
>
>Since there have been a number of responses about the ICAO alphabet
>(some even were correct  :-)  I'll not repeat that.  The other alphabet
>is the JAN (Joint Army-Navy) alphabet, which became well known because
>of World War II.  Here's what I remember of the JAN sequence:
>
>Able       G????     Mike     Sugar     Young
>Baker      Howe      Nan      Tare      Zebra
>Charlie    Item      Oboe     Unit
>Dog        Jig       P???     Victor
>Ernest     King      Q???     W???
>Fox        Love      R???     Xray      Anyone fill in the blanks?
>
>Regarding the change to ICAO -- the story that I heard claimed that the
>major improvement is that the ICAO words were chosen to be pronouncable
>regardless of the nationality of the speaker.  (ICAO = International
>Civil Aviation Organization).
>--
>Doug Pardee -- Terak Corp. -- !{hao,ihnp4,decvax}!noao!terak!doug

	ABLE		HOW		OBOE		VICTOR
	BAKER		ITEM		PETER		WILLIAM
	CHARLIE		JIG		QUEEN		XRAY
	DOG		KING		ROGER		YOKE