[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V17 N5

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (08/30/90)

Volume: 17, Issue: 5, Wed Aug 29 15:35:33 EDT 1990

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) RE: Integration Methods
(2) Experience with DEMOS
(3) CALL: Simulation of Behavior
(4) CALL: Summer Simulation Conference (SCS)
(5) CALL: Simulation of Multiple-Processor Networks

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date: Thu, 23 Aug 90 08:34:48 -0400
From: steve@hubcap.clemson.edu ("Steve" Stevenson)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: Continuous System Simulation
Newsgroups: comp.simulation

In comp.simulation you write:

>   My question is this: are common integration methods (like
>2nd order Runge-Kutta) numerically stable in this sort of
>situation?  My guess is that they are not, because the size
>of delta_x is not fixed and is hard to predict.  Thus the
>method might, for example, step over a singularity in the y
>trajectory and miss it.

>   Since I think this answer is probably correct, my *real*
>question is: are there any methods which don't have this
>problem?  Or more generally, how do people manage to simulate
>autonomous continuous systems defined by differential equations?

There are lots of problems with fixed integration methods (having only
one) in a general purpose simulation system. The basic problem is that
different systems have different *mathematical* characteristics and
hence need different numerical techniques. These techniques may be
sensitive to parameters determined at run time.

As to what kinds of algorithms there are, a good book in Numerical Solutions
written recently should help. For example, there are fixed and adaptive
time steps, implicit-explicit, etc.

BTW, you probably want Runge-Kutta-Fehlberg not just RK.

------------------------------

To: Paul Fishwick <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
Subject: Re: Looking for DEMOS
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 90 09:27:29 -0400
From: Isidro Castineyra <isidro@BBN.COM>

I am interested in finding out more about DEMOS - has anyone here
had any experience with this package?

DEMOS is a simulation context built over the "simulation" class of
SIMULA.  It is described in "Discrete Event Modelling on Simula" by G.
M. Birtwistle (Springer-Verlag New York Inc. 1987, QA76.73.S55B57,
ISBN 0-387-91301-7).  A description also appears in "System
Simulation, Programming Styles and Languages", by Wolfgang Kreutzer.

My group has used SIMULA before, but it will be the first time for me.
What I have read of DEMOS makes me think that I could get things done
sooner with it.

Thanks for your help.

Isidro Castineyra <isidro@bbn.com>   | phone: (617) 873-6233

------------------------------

From: B M Smith <bms@dcs.leeds.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 13:48:37 BST
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: Item for Distribution

                      FINAL CALL FOR PAPERS

                            AISB'91

        8th SSAISB CONFERENCE ON ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE

                    University of Leeds, UK
                       16-19 April, 1991

The Society for the Study of Artificial Intelligence and Simulation of
Behaviour (SSAISB) will hold its eighth biennial conference at
Bodington Hall, University of Leeds, from 16 to 19 April 1991. There
will be a Tutorial Programme on 16 April followed by the full Technical
Programme. The Programme Chair will be Luc Steels (AI Lab, Vrije Universiteit
Brussel).

Scope:
Papers are sought in all areas of Artificial Intelligence and Simulation of
Behaviour, but especially on the following AISB91 special themes:

  * Emergent functionality in autonomous agents
  * Neural networks and self-organisation
  * Constraint logic programming
  * Knowledge level expert systems research

Papers may describe theoretical or practical work but should make a
significant and original contribution to knowledge about the field of
Artificial Intelligence.

A prize of 500 pounds for the best paper has been offered by British
Telecom Computing (Advanced Technology Group). It is expected
that the proceedings will be published as a book.

Submission:
All submissions should be in hardcopy in letter quality print and
should be written in 12 point or pica typewriter face on A4 or 8.5" x
11" paper, and should be no longer than 10 sides, single-spaced.
Each paper should contain an abstract of not more than 200 words and a
list of up to four keywords or phrases describing the content of the
paper. Five copies should be submitted. Papers must be written in
English. Authors should give an electronic mail address where possible.
Submission of a paper implies that all authors have obtained
all necessary clearances from the institution and that an author will
attend the conference to present the paper if it is accepted. Papers
should describe work that will be unpublished on the date of the
conference.

Dates:
  Deadline for Submission:		1 October 1990
  Notification of Acceptance:		7 December 1990
  Deadline for camera ready copy:	16 January 1991

Location:
Bodington Hall is on the edge of Leeds, in 14 acres of private grounds. The
city of Leeds is two and a half hours by rail from London, and there are
frequent flights to Leeds/Bradford Airport from London Heathrow, Amsterdam
and Paris. The Yorkshire Dales National Park is close by, and the historic
city of York is only 30 minutes away by rail.

Information:
Papers and all queries regarding the programme should be sent to
Judith Dennison. All other correspondence and queries regarding the
conference to the Local Organiser, Barbara Smith.

  Ms. Judith Dennison			Dr. Barbara Smith
  Cognitive Sciences			Division of AI
  University of Sussex			School of Computer Studies
  Falmer				University of Leeds
  Brighton BN1 9QN			Leeds LS2 9JT
  UK					UK

  Tel: (+44) 273 678379			Tel: (+44) 532 334627
  Email: judithd@cogs.sussex.ac.uk	FAX: (+44) 532 335468
					Email: aisb91@ai.leeds.ac.uk

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 24 Aug 90 17:17:50 EDT
From: tla@bartok.att.com (Terry L Anderson)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: submission for digest

___________________________ Call for Papers ____________________________

                      Enhancing Simulation Utility
          1991 Summer Computer Simulation Conference (SCSC 91)

        Hyatt Regency Hotel (Inner Harbor), Baltimore, Maryland
                            July 22-24, 1991

_____________________________ The Program ______________________________

 The 1991 Summer Computer simulation Conference (SCSC 91) will feature
 innovative presentations, panel discussions, state-of-the-art reviews,
 tutorials, and trade show exhibits designed to provide comprehensive
 coverage of the field of computer simulation.  The spectrum of topics
 for SCSC 91 will include:

 + Simulation Methodologies
 + Computer Performance & Advanced Processing
 + Intelligent Simulation Environments
 + AI/KBS in Simulation
 + Robotics & CAD/CAE/CAM
 + Simulators & Simulation Use in Training
 + Government, Management, & Social Sciences
 + Physical/Chemical/Engineering Applications
 + Biomedical Sciences
 + Communications & Radar Systems
 + Undersea Systems
 + Missile Systems
 + Strategic Defense Initiative (SDI) Applications
 + Aerospace Simulations
 + Frontiers of Simulation in Asia

____________________ Paper Submissions & Proposals _____________________

 Only original papers which have not been previously published should
 be submitted.  Authors will be expected to register early (at a
 reduced fee) and to attend the conference at their own expense to
 present accepted papers.  When submitting material, include full
 names, affiliations, addresses, and phone numbers (and FAX numbers
 when available) for every participant.  Extended abstracts and
 proposals for tutorials or panel sessions should be mailed to:

          Dr. Dale K. Pace
          Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
          Johns Hopkins Road
          Laurel, Maryland 20723-6099
          USA
          Phone: (301) 953-5650
          FAX:   (301) 953-5910

_________________________ Deadlines and Dates __________________________

               Abstract & Proposals          Nov 15, 1990
               Acceptance Notification       Jan 15, 1991
               Camera Ready Papers Due       Mar 15, 1991
               SCSC 91                    Jul 22-24, 1991

__________________________ SCSC 91 Committee ___________________________

  General Co-Chairs:
    Mr Richard J. Hunt (Johns Hopkins Univ Applied Physics Laboratory)
    Dr Iwao (Pete) Sugai (Soviet Electronics Digest Dissemination Service)

  Program Chair:
    Dr Dale K. Pace (Johns Hopkins Univ Applied Physics Laboratory)

  Associate Program Chair:
    Mr Dennis Baker (Martin Marietta Aero & Naval Systems)

  Local Arrangements/Exhibits Co-Chairs:
    Mr William E. Buchanan (Johns Hopkins Univ Applied Physics Laboratory)
    Mrs M. Connie Finney (Johns Hopkins Univ Applied Physics Laboratory)

  Budget Chair:
    Mr Paul F. Bohn  (Johns Hopkins Univ Applied Physics Laboratory)

                  The Society for Computer Simulation
                   PO Box 17900, San Diego, CA 92117
               Phone: (619) 277-3888, FAX: (619) 277-3930

                       Special Call for Papers on
               Computer Performance & Advanced Processing

 As chairman of the group on Computer Performance & Advanced
 Processing at SCSC 91, I would like to offer a special invitation for
 papers in this area.  Example topics include:

  +  Performance models of computer hardware
  +  Performance models of computer software systems
  +  Simulation languages, tools, and techniques for performance
        modeling of computers software and hardware systems
  +  Role of performance modeling in software development and software
        engineering
  +  Advanced information processing techniques applied to simulation,
        such as:
        - neural networks
        - parallel processors
        - object orientation
        - AI, expert systems and knowledge-based systems

 If you would like to discuss possible paper topics or ideas for
 panels in this area, you may contact me

   Dr Terry L Anderson
   AT&T Bell Laboratories
   4N-E01
   184 Liberty Corner Rd
   Warren, NJ 07059
   Phone: (201) 580-4428
   FAX:   (201) 580-5631
   Email: tla@bartok.att.com
   ATTMAIL: mozart!tla

 or in Europe, you may contact the group co-chair

   Dr Eugene J. H. Kerckhoffs
   Faculty of Applied Mathematics & Information
   Delft University of Technology
   Julianalaan 132, 2628 BL Delft
   The Netherlands
   Phone: (015) 78 13 15
   FAX:   (015) 78 70 22

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Aug 90 11:34:43 -0400
From: "Paul Fishwick" <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu

>From kkb@iesd.auc.dk Sat Jul 21 05:27:09 1990
	(5.61++/IDA-1.2.8) id AA22415; Fri, 20 Jul 90 16:04:38 +0200
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 90 16:04:38 +0200
From: Kallol Kumar Bagchi <kkb@iesd.auc.dk>
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu

************            CALL FOR PAPERS            ************

	  INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF COMPUTER SIMULATION

			  IS ANNOUNCING

                          SPECIAL ISSUE

		   SCHEDULED FOR EARLY 1991

			     ON

	       SIMULATION OF MULTIPLE PROCESSOR NETWORKS

PAPERS ON SIMULATION OF SYSTEMS RANGING FROM TIGHTLY-COUPLED MULTIPROCESSORS
TO NETWORKS AND DISTRIBUTED SYSTEMS ARE INVITED. ALL ASPECTS OF SUCH SIMULATION
WILL BE OF INTEREST. SPECIFIC TOPICS OF INTEREST INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED
TO :

O  MODELING AND SIMULATION TECHNIQUES OF SUCH SIMULATION
O  PERFORMANCE EVALUATION STUDIES
O  VALIDATION AND VERIFICATION
O  DESIGN METHODS
O  LANGUAGES/PROGRAMMING CONSTRUCTS FOR SUCH SIMULATION
O  DESCRIPTION OF SIMULATORS OF SUCH SYSTEMS
O  COMPARATIVE STUDIES ON UNIPROCESSOR/MULTIPROCESSOR HOSTS FOR SUCH SIMULATION

PROSPECTIVE AUTHORS ARE INVITED TO SUBMIT FOUR COPIES OF COMPLETE MANUSCRIPT OF
HIGH QUALITY OF RESEARCH CONTRIBUTIONS THAT WOULD NOT REQUIRE MAJOR REVISION BY
October 30, 1990 TO THE GUEST EDITOR :

DR. KALLOL BAGCHI, GUEST EDITOR			DR. GEORGE W. ZOBRIST, EDITOR
INSTITUTE OF ELECTRONIC SYSTEMS			DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE
AALBORG UNIVERSITY				UNIVERSITY OF MISSOURI-ROLLA
FREDRICK BAJERS VEJ 7				ROLLA, MISSOURI 65401
DK 9220 AALBORG, DENMARK			U.S.A.

PHONE: (45) 98 15 85 22				PHONE:  (314) 341-4836
EMAIL: KKB@IESD.AUC.DK				EMAIL: C2816@UMRVMB.UMR.EDU

PUBLISHER:

ABLEX PUBLISHING CORPORATION
355 CHESTNUT STREET