[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V17 N7

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (09/10/90)

Volume: 17, Issue: 7, Mon Sep 10 09:14:43 EDT 1990

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) RE: The Goal of Simulation
(2) WANTED: Simulator for Parallel Architectures
(3) SIMSCRIPT: File Checking
(4) RE: Flight Simulator
(5) CALL: Journal of Systems Engineering
(6) Job Shop Simulation

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date: Wed, 5 Sep 90 12:47:30 EST
From: Richard E. Nance - SRC <srcnance@popeye.cs.vt.edu>
To: fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu, simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Modeling Questions in SIMDIGEST
Cc: abbott@itor3.aero.org

    A recent question about language preferences/suggestions
for modeling basketball/football contests in SIMDIGEST raised
my "hackles" again.  Although I do not wish to pick on Mr.
Abbott, who raised the question, I almost have to so that my
point can be understood.  His question pertained to the
suggested language for showing individual player interaction
in a play-by-play mode, but what he does NOT reveal is the
objective of the modeling study.  Is it to predict the contest
outcome? to assess speed versus size by position? to examine
two-player competition within the team concept? or ...  .
One could go on and on.
    The best model (simulation or otherwise) is the simplest
model which meets the study objectives.  Describing the physical
system to be modeled is only "half the loaf;" specifying the
study objective(s) is crucial to the assessment of modeling
needs and requirements.

Dick Nance
nance@vtopus.cs.vt.edu

------------------------------

To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Simulator for parallel architectures
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 90 13:39:30 +0100
From: Aggeliki Balou (+44-71-387-7050 ext.3701) <A.Balou@cs.ucl.ac.uk>

I am interested in evaluating a parallel architecture (a
collection of nodes with local memory (there is no shared
memory) communicating via message-passing across an
interconnection network ). I would like to put my own node
architecture, and also I would like to experiment with various
interconnection topologies.

Are there any available simulators for such architectures?
(esp. event-driven ones)

I would be grateful for any information.

                               Many thanks in advance

                                         Aggeliki

+--------------------------+-------------------------------------------------+
|Aggeliki Balou            |   JANET:aggeliki@uk.ac.ucl.cs                   |
|Dept. of Computer Science |  BITNET:aggeliki%uk.ac.ucl.cs@UKACRL            |
|University College London |Internet:aggeliki%cs.ucl.ac.uk@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk|
|Gower Street              | ARPANet:aggeliki@cs.ucl.ac.uk                   |
|London WC1E 6BT           |    UUCP:...!mcvax!ukc!ucl-cs!aggeliki           |
+--------------------------+-------------------------+-----------------------+
| Tel:(071)-387-7050 x3701 |   Fax: (01)-387-1397    |      Telex: 28722     |
+--------------------------+-------------------------+-----------------------+

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Sep 90 11:15:29 PDT
From: mailrus!uunet!cacilj!stevec@bikini.cis.ufl.edu (Steve G. Covault)
To: mailrus!bikini.cis.ufl.edu!simulation
Subject: SIMSCRIPT's OPEN, NOERROR Option

To: uunet!comp-simulation@uunet.UU.NET

> How can I have SIMSCRIPT II.5 check for the presence of a file
> whose name has been entered interactively?

The NOERROR option of the OPEN statement allows users to trap and
recover from any error opening a file.  See your User's Manual for
complete information.  Example coding will be supplied upon E-mail
request.

 --
\   Steve Covault                 | Voice Mail (24 Hours) 619/455-6300 x 156  /
|\  Manager of Technical Support  | FAX        (24 Hours) 619/458-0031       /|

[[EDITOR's NOTE: Since CACI has an e-mail address, questions specifically
concerning SIMSCRIPT operation should be directed to that address. -PAF]]

------------------------------

From: smc@lzga.att.com
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 90 14:05 EDT
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Re: Flight simulator
Newsgroups: comp.simulation

In comp.simulation you write:

>Hi, I am looking for a flight simulator for a sparc station. More
>generally I am interested in source code for flight simulators.

There is a very impressive flight simulator available for Sun's
SPARCstation; it was offered to us (for free!) by our Sun sales
representative.  You might check with your Sun contact (we never did
get our Sun lab up, and didn't get the flight simulator source).

The offer may have been a bribe to get us to buy the machines
faster.  I don't know if they have an accepted form of distribution.

Steve Casagrande
smc@lzga.att.com

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Sep 90 13:23 PDT
From: Ethan A. Scarl <eas@atc.boeing.com>
Subject: Should this go into the News BB?
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Cc: ethan@atc.boeing.com

Date:          Fri, 17 Aug 90 12:42+0100
From: Eduardo Bayro <eba%COMPUTING-MATHS.CARDIFF.AC.UK@pucc.PRINCETON.EDU>

**** NEW JOURNAL *** NEW JOURNAL *** NEW JOURNAL *** NEW JOURNAL ****

                 [     JOURNAL OF SYSTEMS ENGINEERING    ]
                 [    SPRINGER - VERLAG - INTERNATIONAL  ]

AIMS AND SCOPE

The Journal of Systems Engineering will be a refereed academic
journal which publishes both fundamental and applied work in the field of
systems engineering.  Its aim will be to provide an active forum for
disseminating the results of research and advanced industrial practice in
systems engineering, thereby stimulating the development and consolidation
of this field.

The scope of the journal will encompass all subjects pertinent to
systems engineering: systems analysis, modelling, simulation, optimisation,
synthesis, operation, monitoring, identification, evaluation, diagnosis,
control etc. The journal will encourage the reporting of new theories,
tools, algorithms, and techniques to support these activities.  It will
also cover critical discussions of novel applications of systems principles
and methods and of original implementations of different engineering
systems, including intelligent systems. 'Hard' and 'soft' systems from all
branches of engineering will be of interest to the journal. Papers on any
systems aspects, from accuracy, stability, noise inmunity, complexity, to
efficiency, quality and reliability, will be considered.

ADDRESS

Please submit contributions to:

		  The Editor: Prof. D.T. Pham,
			    Journal of Systems Engineering,
			    University of Wales,
				School of Electrical, Electronic and
			      Systems Engineering.
			    P.O. Box 904, Cardiff CF1 3YH,
			    United Kingdom
				Tel. 0222- 874429
			      Telex 497368
				Fax  0222- 874192
			      email  PhamDT@uk.ac.cardiff

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Sep 90 13:45:23 -0100
From: inesc!fmhv@relay.EU.net (Fernando Manuel Hourtiguet de Vasconcelos)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu

I'm starting a simulation project of job-shop facilities. The simulator
should include animation features.

I'm looking for references on software and books related to both fields:

 - Animation for Simulation
 - Job-Shop simulations

If anybody can help please mail me directly and I'll post a summary if
enough interest is shown.

Fernando Vasconcelos                   INESC - Intituto de Engenharia de
fmhv@inesc.inesc.pt			       Sistemas e Computadores
mcsun!inesc!fmhv@uunet.uu.net          Rua Alves Redol No 9
Tel: +351(1)545150   Ext. 216	       1017 Lisboa CODEX - Portugal
Fax: +351(1)525843		       Sala 208

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST