[comp.simulation] SIMULATION DIGEST V18 N3

simulation@uflorida.cis.ufl.edu (Moderator: Paul Fishwick) (10/08/90)

Volume: 18, Issue: 3, Mon Oct  8 09:29:52 EDT 1990

+----------------+
| TODAY'S TOPICS |
+----------------+

(1) RE: Public Domain Simulation Tool (Networks)
(2) WANTED: Public Domain SPICE
(3) RE: Request for PC Simulation Packages
(4) FREE: Data Network Simulator
(5) WANTED: FORTRAN Source for Data Flow Analysis
(6) CASE Tools for Simulation
(7) WANTED: Tools for Analog Electronics

* Moderator: Paul Fishwick, Univ. of Florida
* Send topical mail to: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu OR
  post to comp.simulation via USENET
* Archives available via FTP to bikini.cis.ufl.edu (128.227.224.1).
  Login as 'ftp', use your last name as the password, change
  directory to pub/simdigest. Do 'type binary' before any file xfers.
* Simulation Tools available by doing above and changing the
  directory to pub/simdigest/tools.

Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 13:52:36 CDT
From: Douglas W. Jones <jones@pyrite.cs.uiowa.edu>
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: P.D. Simulation tool

From: Ram Reddy

> I am trying to simulate the working of a Local Area Network and am looking
> for application software to do this.  Are there any simulation packages for
> the PC that allow you to ...

I have an ANSI Standard Pascal simulation environment (completely machine
independent) that just happens to come with an example simulation application
that is a token-ring network.  It's free for the asking, just send me E-mail
and I'll E-mail the simulation environment, along with the demonstration
program.

Warning:  I've looked at the object code generated by Pascal compilers on the
80x86 family of machines, and you have two choices:  Decent code, with a
limit of 64K bytes of variables, including stack and heap, or horrible code
with no limit on the size of your data.  Jim Henriksen once told me that he
thought the 80x86 was a horrible architecture for supporting simulation, and
I agree!
					Doug Jones
					jones@herky.cs.uiowa.edu

------------------------------

From: bala@pebbles.Synopsys.COM (Bala Vasireddi)
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 1990 16:34:38 PDT
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Hi

I am looking for some public domain Spice simulator package for a Mac or
and IBM compatible. Can anybody point me to an FTP site or please mail me
the sources?

Thanks.

 --
Bala Vasireddi,            Phone: (415)962-5036
Synopsys, Inc.             FAX:   (415)965-8637

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Oct 90 08:10:11 EST
From: Richard E. Nance - SRC <srcnance@popeye.cs.vt.edu>
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: Request by Ram Reddy for PC Simulation Packages

Do you truly mean that you want the ability "to model the nodes as
objects with attributes that can be changed on the fly"?  Your
following sentence does not clarify the statement.

Changing attribute VALUES on the fly I can understand; changing
attributes would be a major departure from the object oriented
paradigm, but would be accomodated within the actor paradigm.
If that is your interest, you might contact Dennis Kafura (kafura@
vtopus.cs.vt.edu).

Dick Nance

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Oct 90 08:29:34 -0400
From: "Paul Fishwick" <fishwick@fish.cis.ufl.edu>
To: simulation@ufl.edu
Subject: REAL

Date: Wed, 3 Oct 90 13:16:35 -0700
From: keshav@tenet.Berkeley.EDU (Keshav)
To: fishwick@cis.ufl.edu

Subject: New site for REAL distribution
REAL 3.0 will now be available from icsi-ftp.Berkeley.EDU:pub/tenet/REAL.
The version on ucbarpa will not be updated from now on.

REAL Version 3.0
 ----------------
REAL is a data network simulator that simulates networks at
the packet level. It implements several flow control protocols
(TCP, DECbit etc) and scheduling disciplines (Fair Queueing,
FCFS etc). There are plotting and report facilities, and means as
well as variances of simulation variables are reported.
REAL is written in C, and will run on BSD4.3/Ultrix/UMIPS
systems on VAX, SUN, SPARC, MIPS or DECstation hardware.
Online documentation and source code are part of the distribution.

keshav

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@rutgers.edu
From: lee@largo.RUTGERS.EDU (Yong-fong Lee)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.fortran,comp.simulation
Subject: Fortran source code
Date: 4 Oct 90 14:40:51 GMT

Hi,

I have tried to post the request, but never saw it appears on the net.

OK.  For an empirical study of my data flow analysis (*) algorithms,
I need Fortran programs which do not need to be "big" themselves, but
had better contain "big" (**) procedures and/or subroutines.  If you
write and/or have any Fortran programs, please do help.  Thank you.

Yong-fong Lee (lee@cs.rutgers.edu)

(*) Data flow analysis is a compile-time analysis that finds the
	definitions and uses of variables;  its results can be used
	for compiler optimizations and some other usages.

(**) I do not have a precise measurement for "big" procedures.  If you
	THINK your programs MAY be big, they ARE big.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Oct 90 16:19:11 +0100
From: acuenca@gmv.es (Agustin Cuenca / GMV)
To: simulation@bikini.cis.ufl.edu
Subject: News article.

Newsgroups: comp.software-eng,comp.simulation
Subject: Software Environments for simulators development
Sender: Agustin Cuenca, Juan Jesus Leon

        We would like to know if anybody has identified specific requirements
for Software Development Environments or CASE tools to support the
development of Simulators, and in particular how to augment models
reusability.

Juan Jesus Leon                          Ph. +34 1 534 30 04
Grupo de Mecanica del Vuelo, S.A. (GMV)  Fax +34 1 533 32 50
Cristobal Bordiu, 35                     Telex  48487 GMEV E
E-28003 MADRID                           jjleon@gmv.es
SPAIN                                    mcsun!gmv.es!jjleon@uunet.uu.net

Agustin Cuenca                           Ph. +34 1 534 30 04
Grupo de Mecanica del Vuelo, S.A. (GMV)  Fax +34 1 533 32 50
Cristobal Bordiu, 35                     Telex  48487 GMEV E
E-28003 MADRID                           acuenca@gmv.es
SPAIN                                    mcsun!gmv.es!acuenca@uunet.uu.net
                                         uunet!mcsun!gmv.es!acuenca

------------------------------

To: comp-simulation@cernvax.cern.ch
From: martucci@cernapo.cern.ch (Pietro Martucci)
Newsgroups: comp.misc,comp.simulation,sci.electronics,comp.lsi.cad,comp.sys.apollo,comp.sys.sun,comp.sys.ibm.pc.misc
Subject: simulation tools for Analog electronics
Date: 8 Oct 90 09:53:35 GMT
Sender: news@cernvax.cern.ch

We have several people with an interest in simulating lossy transmission
lines in the frequency and time domain.

Typical potential application areas are:

   - Data buses, backplanes and transmission channels for fast digital
     systems.

   - Large signal interconnects of say 100000 balanced or unbalanced
     strip lines with minimum mass and size.

   - RF signal and power coax lines.

Any information on available simulation tools, models and modeling
methods would be highly appreciated.

Rudi Zurbuchen,
CERN,
Computing Support for Engineering,
Analog Electronics and Analog Systems

zurbuch@cernapo.cern.ch
zurdj@cernvm.cern.ch
 --
Pietro Paolo Martucci                 | Ohi vita, Ohi vita mia....
CN-CE  , CERN , CH-1211 GENEVA 23     | ...si state u primm'ammore....

END OF SIMULATION DIGEST